No announcement yet.

Better than EarthViewer3D? NASA style!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than EarthViewer3D? NASA style!

Quite a while back, we had a discussion about a program that nVidia was sponsoring, called EarthViewer3D. It allowed you to zoom in to various parts of the earth. Since most urban areas were mapped in a higher resolution, most of us were able to see our houses from outerspace. Pretty cool. Terraserver made this available to us earlier, but EarthViewer put the photos in a much snazzier interface. Well, now NASA has gotten into the game and has released a program called World Wind which includes much cooler photos and some very interesting and even useful features like being able to display political boundaries (borders), "time relevant data" that tracks fires, floods, dust, smoke, storms and even volcanic activity, you can display lat/long lines on the globe, display place names, and 3D models of certain landmarks! I haven't downloaded it (it's being slashdotted) yet, but it certainly looks very cool. I've been debating purchasing my kid a nice globe (they're expensive!), but I think I'm going to hold off now, because this may be much, much better...
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 09-25-2004, 01:38 PM.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Better than EarthViewer3D? NASA style!

I'm getting it now -- if'n I can figure it out, might I put it in the members download area?
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Comment

Well - the direct link didn't give me a valid file. But in the comments section someone started a torrent -- which is giving me 30 kB/s ATM.

http://science.slashdot.org/comments...4&cid=10343768

I'll let the torret go tonight - and if I can - upload the file here tomorrow.

Comment

Hmmm, I can't even get that Torrent to work....
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I've been playing with it this morning -- the people that actually got the file last night are now bogging down the detailed map servers! Taking forever to load up the 1m maps.

I tried logging onto my TG ftp last night to put it up there...but were having trouble. Is it working for everyone else?

I've got another spot to put it -- will post in the member's section.

Comment

I'm sharing it on Direct Connect in the "latest and greatest" folder...

(hub: 80.198.50.131:4012 )
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              I'm sharing it on Direct Connect in the "latest and greatest" folder...

(hub: 80.198.50.131:4012 )
              Except all I'm sharing is the corrupt version that I downloaded... I'll let you all know when I get it right.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid
                I've been playing with it this morning -- the people that actually got the file last night are now bogging down the detailed map servers! Taking forever to load up the 1m maps.
                Wow, this is amazing! Have you looked at any of the Animated Earth views yet? Absolutely stunning.
                Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Yeah - the Chinese dust storm was pretty cool. I still want to look at the 1m stuff around my house!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X