Taking a trip out west.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a trip out west.

Ladies and germs, Ferris will be in Boulder, CO and the surrounding areas on March 7-March 10 (next weekend). If anyone wants to get together for a beer or something, please PM me and I'll pencil you in!

Re: Taking a trip out west.

Have fun Ferris, I heard it's a great town(never been there).

Enjoy your trip, hopefully you are there for good reasons, and not bad or unfortunate ones...
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Oh yeah, the trip is all pleasure. Going out to snowboard and visit college buddies.

Comment

I went for the 1st time in May 07'. It was a really great place but only got to stay for a day and had to move on.
        Went to Eldorado Canyon State Park, which is only a 3 min. drive from downtown.
        The wife has already said we have to go back.
        Couple of pics

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I can see Arapahoe Reservoir in the background of the third one! :D

Comment

Try living out there, it's great :D

Be sure to visit Estes Park, if you get the chance.

Comment

I went to college there, so thats already in the bag. 2415 Spruce St, Apt 31 was a shoebox, but it was walking distance to Pearl St, even completely smashed to the walls hammered on gigantic margaritas from the Rio. Libby Hall wasnt bad either, once we got the hot tub :D

Comment

And when you get back, I'm going on vacation to south Florida (Deerfield Beach) from Mar. 15-22. Let me get this straight, you're intentionally heading to snow? Why oh why? If I lived in Florida I would never take a cold weather vacation. Man I hate winters here in Ohio. I envy all you guys and gals who live in warm weather year round. Although it was 62 here today.

Comment

Snow in Ohio and snow in Colorado are two different beasts. Trust me, I used to live in Cincinnati, so I know the difference. As far as living in warm weather year round, its as bad, if not worse than snow. At least you guys have seasonS. We have summer. Oh yeah, and summer. Did I mention summer? Christmas Day this past year it was 92. We have had exactly 6 days this winter where the daily high temperature has been below 60, and then it was 80+ within 2 days. It's not warm in florida, it's HOT. You want warm all year, go to Hawaii. Median temperature of 75, with a variance of less than 10 degrees all year, plus tradewinds and pineapple rain (you wont understand the term unless you're dakine, but think of it like a soft misting rain. and yes, I've lived there too). My kind of place.

In addition, I live in freaking Orlando. We have several other TG members that live here, ask them how insanely bad this place is. The common term I use is the 9th circle of Hell.

Comment

hey, Come visit and we'll play some PR or go get dinner and chat or something man. Good pizza at JJ Madwells here in conifer. I've lived up here for about a year now. the snow is getting on my nerves >.<

lol fan of Dante huh?

Comment

Sticky, I'll see if I cant swing down to Conifer on sunday, probably going to be mid-afternoon though. I'll let ya know!

Comment

Estes Park is the reason we only spent part of the day in Boulder :)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          I went for the 1st time in May 07'. It was a really great place but only got to stay for a day and had to move on.
                          Went to Eldorado Canyon State Park, which is only a 3 min. drive from downtown.
                          The wife has already said we have to go back.
                          Couple of pics

Man I didn't know Colorado looked so good that is some beautiful scenery. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                            Man I didn't know Colorado looked so good that is some beautiful scenery. :)
                            It doesn't really. Don't be totally fooled.

There's three parts to Colorado. The entire western third is desert - dusty, dry, rocky wasteland. The eastern third, where Boulder borders, is prairie scrubland. Flat, desolate, and empty (that's what you're looking out at in those pictures). Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, all sit in this extremely boring expanse. You look at mountains, but you're not in them.

The center third is the 'image' of Colorado - the Maroon Bells, Estes Park - Boulder sits right at the foothills of the Rockys in the flatirons - there's a lot less civilization in this part, obviously. Sure, take the interstate out of Denver there's Golden, Breckenridge, and Vail, but those are touristy places - I was in Colorado for years and never once cared to go to Vail. There's better places with fewer people. Breckenridge still feels like a small town, and there's also Copper Mountain A-Basin and Keystone nearby.

Really though, if you love the wilderness, there's so much to do in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming it's unbelievable.

You owe it to yourself to do some serious camping (like REAL camping - an RV isn't camping). Go to Estes Park. Take the Old Fall River Road all the way up, watch the Elk bugling, spend a couple nights camping. One time I spent there was probably my most memorable moment of Colorado. The tent was stuffy, so I dragged my bag out about half a mile away down a hill onto a rock outcropping. Pissed myself some territory, made myself a little nest, and just listened to the coyotes, watching the stars. Woke up the next morning to a blood-red dawn as the sun lit up the red rocks on the mountain to the west.

There's a road that goes from Estes Park all the way through the mountains to near Pike's Peak that goes through all kinds of little towns. It's relatively unknown, I forgot the name of it (it was some highway that was never finished - it is paved), and it's a lot of fun. Go spend some time at the Maroon Bells and hike the trails up to the base of the mountains. Head out west towards Grand Junction - keep going, go visit Arches National Park at Moab (there's another park out there I can't recall right now).

If you're seriously dedicated to a long trip, turn north and go to Yellowstone - I promise it'll be the most amazing trip of your life :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X