Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gary Gygax - RIP - I'll roll my 20 sided dice for you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Gygax - RIP - I'll roll my 20 sided dice for you.

I don't care what anybody says - Gygax was a creative genius. I had a great time playing D + D back in the day. I'm going to break out my old Monster Manual tonight and reminisce.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6187142...stnews;title;0
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Gary Gygax - RIP - I'll roll my 20 sided dice for you.

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
    I don't care what anybody says - Gygax was a creative genius. I had a great time playing D + D back in the day. I'm going to break out my old Monster Manual tonight and reminisce.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6187142...stnews;title;0
    I heard about it earlier and posted about this in other forums. I'm genuinely bummed to hear of his passing. Rest in peace Dungeon Master.

Comment

The original. While the current versions are more user friendly, there was still something about D&D and AD&D that they've never been able to capture for me. RIP....too bad there wasn't a high enough level cleric.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Think they'll bury him in a portable hole?

(I can see this kind of comedy running for pages)
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

I am sitting here, and strangely enough, crying a little tear. Allthough I havent played any rpg in almost 15 years, I fondly remember my childhood and teenage years filled with wonderfull stories told by him and played with his game. I remember the friends and the careless life we had while we where young and life had not had time to teach any harsh realities to the untouched young hearts and minds.

RIP my friend Gary, may your afterlife be as marvelous and carefree as my youth. Too bad you missed you last saving throw.

Comment

Well damn. A creative genius passes away.
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Gary helped spawn the RPG industry. Back in the days of SPI, AH, Chaosium, and TSR. I haven't played D&D in over 20 years, but can still remember the first time we played (white box). He will be missed. RIP.

Originally Posted by tHa_KhAn
              ....too bad there wasn't a high enough level cleric.
              There is still coming back as an Undead Lich and ruling the underworld!

Comment

That's really too bad. He will be missed. Then, like Jakaleel said, he'll be feared when he comes back as an Undead Lich King.

The Empty Chair
                Eulogy for a Gamer

There is an empty chair
                at the table this day;
                A hallowed place where
                a friend once played.
                The roll of the dice
                my ears long to hear.
                Or perhaps it would suffice
                if he should suddenly appear
                with character sheet in hand
                and a bag of cheeze-doodles to share.
                All his friends would stand
                as he sat in the empty chair.
                I hear his voice a-callin'
                and it ties my heart in a knot.
                For he cries,"Though a comrade has fallen,
                you must play for those who cannot."
                We conquered worlds on the run,
                he and I, in the name of fun.
                And as others may come and go,
                I make both friend and foe.
                But what I long for most,
                is our past now long a ghost.
                There is an empty chair
                at the table this day;
                A hallowed place where
                a friend once played.
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

7th grade study period in 1985 just would never have been the same without him. RIP.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The passing of a legend. I worked at TSR for a few years in the 90s. Gary was long gone and I never had the pleasure to meet him. Geek jokes aside, this man's creation had a lasting impact on the world in a way most of us could only dream of. Gamer Culture, if there is such a thing, was invented in his living room.

Rest in peace, friend.

Comment

I am sure glad he came around and showed the world how to have some fun.

RIP

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

I am still ashamed and proud to admit the vast amount of 1st and 2nd edition D&D products I own. I have oh... i'm betting over a thousand lead/pewter miniatures (many painted by myself)>

I'd still play, but the group I've played with since middle school (plus some later ad-ons) only play on sundays, 3pm to 10 pm about every 2 weeks. Uh.. I have a family and sundays are more of a family time. I ain't going to spend that time, esp when the few times I **DID** go play with them, after 6 hours of play, we had performed exactly 4 rounds of combat. Two of them are just really serious rules lawyers and fight for every spell the cast and it takes forever. Meanwhile, my warrier gets his round (all 4 attacks) done in about 1 minute.

I'd give (someone else's) left nut to be able to play. If they were willing to come to my house, I'd run a game still... I have the world's largest dungeon and I'd love to run that thing... it's frigging huge.
                        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                        " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget, he also wrote a few quality fantasy novels..

I too grew up with AD&D. Really shaped much of my personality growing up, in a good way.

RIP.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally Posted by Skylark
                            If they were willing to come to my house, I'd run a game still... I have the world's largest dungeon and I'd love to run that thing... it's frigging huge.
                            The commute for most of us would be a killer.
                            I still get together with a few friends for boardgames and RPG (Seventh seas, RQ4, Exalt...) at their house(s) or with the Schenectady Wargamers Association. Alas the D&D works are in the dungeon, I mean the basement.

Comment

RIP Dude.

In all honesty, my life would probably be very different without his contribution to culture and gaming. What he created has definitely grown beyond what (I'm sure) he could have hoped for. Every single popular game now, pretty much, in some way, can be traced to a D&D influence, be it the buying of gear in CS, to the entire RPG genre.

As someone else said, you will be missed Dungeon Master. Travel well.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...