Gary Gygax Passes On. . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Gygax Passes On. . .

Gary was the creator of D&D and, even if you have never played the game, you have to tip your hat to the guy for basically starting the whole fantasy genre. . .

He was my friend. I knew him for over thirty years. I talked to him three weeks ago and he was fine and now, gone.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4373&mforum=trolllordgames

Loraxe
    sigpic
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin
    "Any country that would give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both." Ben Franklin

"There are more old drunkards than old doctors." Ben Franklin

Re: Gary Gygax Passes On. . .

Amen to that.. Great stuff..
    Killed many hours over what many considered a worthless diversion.. Too bad more "kids" aren't doing the DnD thing today instead of PC stuff.. Maybe brain function with the younger crowd would improve a bit.
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I'm going to be 38 in a couple of weeks, and I pretty much grew up playing D&D..... I know we all miss him

Comment

Rip

Comment

Hey Loraxe, what was Gygax's opinion of DnD 4.0? I, like many people here, was basically indoctrinated into serious gaming because of DnD... I still collect games just to have them (including newer DnD stuff), but rarely play. With 4.0 coming out I'm thinking about getting back into it, largely because of the online capability (although the same can be done with Fantasy Grounds).

Anyways, I would've loved to have met the man himself... he left us too soon methinks.
          Many say his original concept is by far still the best version. Unless you're a D20 rules junky I'd have to agree. If 4.0 hearkens a bit back to the past it'll be welcome IMO.

Comment

I'd make a joke about failing a Save vs. Death but I don't know if that's tasteless or not.

Comment

It was no secret that Gary did not like 3.0 or 4.0. D20 did clean many things up that needed cleaning, but, especially toward the end, playing with him was about the roleplaying, and not so much about the rules, or how many daggers you can throw per turn or how many bonuses you get on a magical sword.

The last campaign I played with him was oldschool D&D. Fighter, Thief, Mage, Cleric. We kept it as basic and simple as possible. For rolling numbers we did 3d6, but we could still mix them up and didn't have to roll them in order. The emphasis was on good roleplaying and you got as much experience points for that as you did for anything else. He was a very very good DM and the whole gang looked forward to every session with him. We were supposed to meet again April 23rd to play.

His dream was to have the core rulebooks online for free and to make money off of the modules and maps and such. This idea was not popular with Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro), they are out for bigger profits and a better bottom line, rather than having satisfied, happier customers.

I guess if you guys want more insights let me know.

Best regards,

Loraxe
              sigpic
              "Any country that would give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both." Ben Franklin

Comment

I spoke with Gail Gygax today and she just wanted me to post on some of the sites I was active on and let everyone know how grateful she was for all of your (our) kind words and to let you know that she and Alex are ok and coping with this crappy time. It was a beautiful service and, of course the whole family and all the old gang were there.

Loraxe
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...-dice-you.html
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X