Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUG A3 Variant?

Inspired by Bamboo's M110 post...

[media]http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Angleterre/Exhibition/DSEI_2005/pictures/Steyr_Rifle_AUG_A3_DSEI_2005_ArmyRecognition_01.jp g[/media]

There's very nice skin of this particular AUG variant for CSS (for those who play CSS but don't know). I like it a lot more than the initial A1 version.

What's everyone else's thoughts (gamers, law enforcement, military, other)?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: AUG A3 Variant?

I personally find the AUG to be a very uncomfortable rifle. I have tried several Airsoft variants and really don't like the changing mags. M16/M4 variants are far superior in terms of mag changing times but I do concede that the bullpup design does have it's advantages in length and comparable accuracy.

Comment

What bullpup designs lose in terms of ease-of-magazine-changing they gain in compact packaging and accuracy (long barrel accuracy in a shortened CQB-ish package). The balance is a bit better, too (M4/M16 designs are a bit front-heavy).

Ultimately, it's all in what you're trained in. Different rifles are good in their own way (yes, I'm attempting to subvert any possible "weapon debates").

Comment

Yeah, it's all in what you like and what you have been trained to use. I'm sure the Brits probably think the M16 and M4 are weird compared to the L85. I just prefer the conventional rifle arrangement and to combat the balance issue, I like a full M16 stock on a M4 length barrel. It's not a CQB weapon, but then I don't plan on kicking down any doors. The choice of foregrip assembly and floating or supported barrel make a lot of difference in the front end weight.

Comment

The AUG is a POS. It suffers from fatally flawed magazine design. If you can find aftermarket aluminum magazines, it would probably be fine, but I've used about 20 different factory mags and every one of them has malfunctioned. Drop a full magazine onto a concrete sidewalk from about a foot up and tell me if only 3 or 4 rounds pop out, or if it hits a corner and the whole magazine empties itself in an amusing little fountain of brass.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

So basically the AUG mags are made out of composite and the mag internals can "break" if dropped?

So was this issue fixed in the A3? Or is it still present and largely ignored by the manufacturer?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'd say it's been understated by the manufacturer and never really addressed. The newer version are mainly adaptations to make the Aug more versatile, as with many other assault rifles. It should be noted that the H&K G3 also uses a "plastic" magazine and and it doesn't suffer from the same issues so it could be assumed that it is a design problem. Still the Aug has been accepted by enough military forces that it must be considered a success. Again, a matter of taste and training.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                So basically the AUG mags are made out of composite and the mag internals can "break" if dropped?

So was this issue fixed in the A3? Or is it still present and largely ignored by the manufacturer?
                Nothing breaks. The plastic magazines are simply too flexible.

Ideally, a magazine would keep rounds in the magazine when we want them to stay in, and easily and reliably feed rounds when inserted in a weapon. AUG magazines do neither.

I suppose you could call that "taste and training", but I prefer to call it crappy design/worksmanship. I suppose you could say that since my agency was the first and largest contract in the US, that it's successful, but I prefer to call it crappy contract bidding testing (and/or shady dealings).
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X