Tactical advertisments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical advertisments?

I've been seeing these a few times over the past week and a half. Adverts at the top of the page (not the wolfservers adverts, these are between the forum description and the actual forum.)

I was just wondering, what is going on with these? I don't mind adverts on a website as a rule, but then today I saw this -warning, link to big picture. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2njk4yb&s=3

What is all this about? Red text highlights words like 'clan', 'rank', 'battlefield 2' etc. When the mouse is hovered over these words, a balloon pops up asking me to click to 'search Battlefield 2 clans here!'.

I'd just like to know if this is intentional, seeing as I have not seen these before.

Westy.
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Re: Tactical advertisments?

Man, I have never noticed that. You might want to run some spyware and virus checks.

Comment

I'm at work with crazy anti-virus, spyware protection and I see 7 in line ads in this thread alone. Not to mention the giant background download website.

I guess subscribers don't get ads.

Comment

Perks of SM i guess.

Comment

Yeah there were a few posts a while back when the ads popped up and if I remember right it was said that they were testing some ads to help pay for the site. I don't think Supporting Members will have to put up with them though.

Comment

Aaaah ok, thanks. I was worried about spyware/viruses so I ran checks and delleted anything remotely suspicious. Thanks for the info.

Westy.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

That is normal behavior for non-SMs. There will only be a max of 7 context ads per page. Over the next couple days they will become more refined and context sensitive.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

It' interesting to see the list of unapproved domains shoving JavaScript at me in NoScript (the Firefox addon). Right now in this thread I have:

tacticalgamer.com (approved)
                exponential.com
                2mdn.net (approved)
                tribalfusion.com (approved)
                doubleclick.net (disapproved)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Ugh, that just reminds me how many times I had to remove Hotbar from my wife's computer everyime she saw a banner for free Smileys!!!
                  "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                  -- Red Forman

Comment

Can the SM's just pay a higher fee so the non SM's don't have to suffer this?
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                      Can the SM's just pay a higher fee so the non SM's don't have to suffer this?
                      Uh, you feeling ok? YOU can pay more if you wish, but I'm all good with the $9, lol.

Comment

I *AM* a supporting member, and I see these adds. I do not like them.
                        sigpic
                        Govern well thy appetite, lest Sin surprise thee, and her black attendant: Death. ~ John Milton - Paradise Lost

Comment

I suggest you double check that Grieg. You are not showing Supporting Member status so if you are truly paying for SM status, you should get with Asch or Apophis to see if there is something wrong.

Comment

SMs don't see the ads.

There is no adware/spyware in any content served.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                              There is no adware/spyware in any content served.
                              How much control do you have over the choice of ads? I ask that because several WoW DB sites (eg. Thottbot) were found serving malicious content without their knowledge. Apparently even their ad supplier was unaware of it, so Thottbot had a tough time identifying the source. (I think there's a thread in the WoW section about this. I recall posting to it a few days ago.)
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X