Robot video you have to see!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot video you have to see!!!

You all need to see this video just out on Gizmodo of the work done with DARPA funding for a robotic dog type contraption. I don't know weather to think that it is cool or to be scared.
    I have read about it before, but never seen video.
    Supposed to be like a pack horse equipment/ammo carrier of the future, so an individual dosn't have to carry so much, giving him better reaction time and the ability to move over distances faster.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

http://gizmodo.com/368651/new-video-...ing-its-spooky

And it really does remind me of Star Wars.
    The part where he kicks it and it keeps going and it slips on the ice and gets back up..................WOW....................

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Robot video you have to see!!!

Good thing its nice and stealthy... lol. But ya that ice recovery was pretty impressive.
    Dizlor

Comment

That is simply amazing. I have to admit I'm a little creeped out by it, but the performance is truly something to wonder at. I wonder if it can right itself if it rolls over? I assume it's hydraulic powered by a small gas engine?

The DARPA contests are some of the coolest things going on today. Search around for vids of a thing called the Ripsaw. It was basically an offroad buggy with tracks that had awesome acceleration.

Comment

Great find!....they need to quieten it down though..lol
        sigpic
        "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

A commenter in that gizmodo article brought up a scary thought. They can carry up to 320 pounds of weight. Think about dropping a hundred of these fully loaded with like C4 off in a enemy town and letting them run wild. If they get attacked they blow, or if they spot enemies, they blow. Could level a city.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

It was even more creepy to see its reaction when it was kicked. That was life like movement.

Comment

Yeah, reminded me a lot of a newborn colt walking around.

Comment

That's pretty scary stuff. I can see those things running around fully loaded with weaponry...would change the face of war!

And then...

And then they take over the world!
                | | |

Comment

I think it's cute :(

Comment

Impressive software. I'm really curious to get details on the legs and motors and sensors. For example, is the loud engine just a generator for servo legs, or is there some kind of transmission coupling the motor to the legs?

I don't see this as a weapon platform, at least as an initial deployment. Rather, it would make a great pack beast over rough terrain. It would have some S&R applications. You could send it into an avalanche zone and not worry about it getting killed. (If it gets buried, you just dig it up in the spring.) It might have some interesting construction applications. Think installing an invasion bridge while under enemy fire.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Did you see it repositioning it's front left "Leg" even before the guy's foot came off of it.

I want one.
                      RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I was impressed how it set it's footing so meticulously while climbing over those cinder blocks.
                        | | |

Comment

At the very end, did they tape the joints on the knee's to make it hop that way?

Comment

If I had to guess I'd say it was a gas engine powering a hydraulic pump and the leg joints were controlled by solenoids.

Eh, guess I'll have to wait to find out. Here's a link to the Robotics section of their site, but it's not loading for me:
                            http://www.bostondynamics.com/conten...ction=robotics

Comment

Can I ride it?!
                              :D
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse