2009 Jaguar XF - Me likey :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Jaguar XF - Me likey :)

I've always like Jaguars. There's just something so refined about them. I've driven several in the past, with my fav always being the XK-R. I've like them, but never exactly WANTED one for myself. That was until now.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=467634

This new Jag is unbelievable. What blows me away is that it can be had for under 50K. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but compared to other cars with that level of refinement and technology, it's a bargain. Guess if I can hold out a couple years (which I'd have to anyhow), I can buy a used one for half the price :D
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: 2009 Jaguar XF - Me likey :)

The price is impressive for the quality of the vehicle in today's market. I would caution you to price some parts for a Jag that is about 5 years old before considering a used one. They, like Land Rovers and other "semi-exclusive" european imports tend to be horribly expensive to maintain and the mechanics trained to work on them charge a premium.

Comment

True that parts are expensive, but unlike your average cars, most high-end car owners take meticulous care of their cars, so at least the interior/exterior on a used premium car are usually like new. So even if I had to sink, say $10,000 into fixing up some mechanical things on one, it's still cheaper than a new one. I've really been wanting a used (as in 2001) Porsche 911. Inexpensive when they're that old, but VERY expensive parts/labor. So, I'm waiting until I can afford the car with cash, PLUS about $10-15000 for any possible problems. Still saves me almost $30-40,000.

Comment

Excellent points. It's just that most people are not as well informed as you and only see the sticker price and not the other hidden costs that may arise. It's a smart plan that can save you a lot of cash if you do it right. I'm a mechanic and fabricator so almost all of my vehicles have been some sort of fixer upper, which the exception of the few new ones I bought to mod like my SRT-4.

Comment

Don't bother with a Jag, unless you want to devote your entire life and salary maintaining those unreliable doo-doo sacks...
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
            Don't bother with a Jag, unless you want to devote your entire life and salary maintaining those unreliable doo-doo sacks...
            That used to be true years ago. People used to say if you wanted a Jag, you'd better be rich enough to afford 2, because 1 of them will always be in the shop. But, ever since Ford acquired them back in 1989, and then in 1999 making them part of the "Premier Automotive Group," their reliability and quality has increased significantly. They even share a lot of components with Ford products. I still wouldn't trust a Jag as much as a Toyota or a Honda, but it's worth the sacrifice for the utmost refinement and experience you get with one.

Comment

A lot of marketing has gone into making that impression. I have heard from people who work with and for Jag's US operations that they're very unhappy with Jag's maintenance record even after the takeover. There were a few gems in the first years, basically Ford engines strapped into Jag frames, but then they started slipping back into old design habits. Mind you, those comments were from 2-3 years ago, so maybe they've improved again, but I still wouldn't buy one for anything other than a vanity purchase.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Sure enough, Steeler. You were right. I did a bit of research on their reliability, and in 2004 they were ranked 18th for reliability, but in 2005 pulled up to 5th. A HUGE leap in standards.

http://www.autoenews.co.uk/newsAEBsingle.php?artID=234

Comment

Good to hear. I got to tour their Bergen facility, big regional HQ, back in 2001 when I did some video work for their service department. Got to see one of their show cars, the R-Coupe, I think? God, that was a gorgeous car. Brushed chrome on every control, wood panel/leather interior, lines like a dancer's hips. Very superspy.

At the time, the director said they were trying to shed their "Grandpa's car" image to compete with BMW. Something the Euros just didn't understand about the American market.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Saying that Ford made them more reliable is not comforting to me in the least. Ford's electronics are just as goofy as any. Now they are in the Jag's, so where do you end up?

I will tell you...nowhere...

They have built a few good things, but in general, Ford is the golden standard of reliability.

But by all means, if nothing else will satisfy your hearts desire, go for it.

If that is really what you want, then no amount of convincing on my part will help.
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                      Saying that Ford made them more reliable is not comforting to me in the least. Ford's electronics are just as goofy as any. Now they are in the Jag's, so where do you end up?

I will tell you...nowhere...

They have built a few good things, but in general, Ford is the golden standard of reliability.

But by all means, if nothing else will satisfy your hearts desire, go for it.

If that is really what you want, then no amount of convincing on my part will help.
                      Haha. You're convincing really is inconsequential at the moment anyhow, seeing as I couldn't buy it right now even if I truly wanted it. I'll re-start this thread 2 years from now and see if I really can get this car, if I can afford it, and let all the first-time buyers see if it's any good. For now, it's just a bit of daydreaming. Trust me, I'm not running to the dealer to order one any time soon. I appreciate the concern, though. :)

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        Haha. You're convincing really is inconsequential at the moment anyhow, seeing as I couldn't buy it right now even if I truly wanted it. I'll re-start this thread 2 years from now and see if I really can get this car, if I can afford it, and let all the first-time buyers see if it's any good. For now, it's just a bit of daydreaming. Trust me, I'm not running to the dealer to order one any time soon. I appreciate the concern, though. :)
                        Good to know...

...Some people on the other hand....

:D
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed