Writer Arthur C. Clarke Dies at 90

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer Arthur C. Clarke Dies at 90

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka, Wednesday March 19, 2008.

Arthur C. Clarke, a visionary science fiction writer who wrote "2001: A Space Odyssey" and won worldwide acclaim with more than 100 books on space, science and the future, died this Wednesday. He was 90.

Google for more info.

This is a sad day for all Sci-Fi lovers.

Rest is peace Arthur, I am sure "It is full of stars" where you are now!
    sigpic
    "All wars are fought for money" (Socrates, 470-399 BC)
    "Only the dead have seen the end of the war" (Plato, 427-347 BC)
    "We make war that we may live in peace" (Aristotle, 384-322 BC)

Re: Writer Arthur C. Clarke Dies at 90

Eh, I recognize the guy's importance to the sci-fi genre, but... damn, were his novels boring.

Comment

They may have been boring, but they were extremely profound and some of them just mind-blowing, even if they were on the slow side.

You will be missed, Mr. Clarke. Sci-Fi, and even today's science wouldn't have been the same without you.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

The loss of a true visionary, as well as a scientist and mathematician.

He "conceptually" lost a billion dollars, he was the first person to consider the concept of communications satellites in space. And didn't patent it....
        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I loved Rendezvous with Rama. Alas, I couldn't keep up with the sequels. The masses will remember him for 2001.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

2001 and it's sequels are good writing. So, too, is the whole Rama sequence. Sadly, the list of still-alive sci-fi writer greats is slowly decreasing. Heinlen, Asimov, Clarke...

"Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vortex421 View Post
              Sadly, the list of still-alive sci-fi writer greats is slowly decreasing. Heinlen, Asimov, Clarke...
              I have no trouble finding good books to read. Check out John Ringo and Eric Flint to start with. David Weber isn't bad. I'll read anything by Vernor Vinge.

True, we're losing the Golden Age writers, but there are new good writers to check out.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X