John Adams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Adams

Anyone else watching this HBO series? If you've got HBO and you haven't seen it, you're missing out...

Re: John Adams

It's on the DVR now, looks good. Good heads up!
    |TG-6th|FYAH29
    "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

It is excellent. The sets and wardrobes are incredible.
      Dizlor

Comment

Just wish it featured more 'adult fare' like most of HBO's original programming.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

What's it about?

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
            What's it about?
            :madsmile:

Comment

It's about Sam the Beer Guy's brother. He did some little nation-founding crap that three or four people ever cared about.

Comment

[media]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-854739169892547608[/media]

It starts pre-boston massacre and follows him through the founding of our country... it's very, very well written and acted...

Comment

Paul Giamatti is the man! I have liked every role I have seen him in.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

this is an AMAZING mini-series. I found myself on the verge of tears when they voted for independence. (does that count as a spoiler?) I cannot wait to download - I MEAN - watch the other five. I thought Band of Brothers was as good as HBO got, but this is on par and has the chance to surpass it.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

solid series. Would've liked some battle scenes, especially since the scale of the battles during the War for Independence was relatively small. I understand that the series is focused on John and essentially Abigail Adams but they could've combined John Adams and 1776 considering they are both written by David McCullough. If they did that then I would place John Adams near The Wire and Band of Brothers.

I guess that's just me wanting my military history itch scratched a bit.

DdogG. I definitely felt something stir inside me while watching the first two episodes. There is something about seeing men come to that point where they have decided that they are going to try to change the course of not only their lives but the lives of Americans for the next 200+ years. Not to mention the local pride felt in the defiance and determination of the New Englanders. Then again, I still get the warm fuzzies when I hear the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                        It's about Sam the Beer Guy's brother. He did some little nation-founding crap that three or four people ever cared about.
                        Actually they were first cousins, but yeah, that's about right.

Comment

Makes me wish I'd actually go and pay for HBO again, but I'm sure it will be available in other mediums shortly. I love historical pieces and that is certainly and interesting time period and looks like it has a great cast.

I caught BoB when it first ran on the History channel back quite a while ago. If it's anywhere near up to that quality, then I'm sold.
                          "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                          -- Red Forman

Comment

John Adams "He united the stated of america" ...that is a great line, and so so so true. I wish more people knew about it.

This is a great series. I read the book when it came out and if you read, and like this show, I suggest you pick up this Pulitzer Prize winner. VERY well written and reads like a novel. The book gives you more detail on everything. It is amazing how difficult everything our founding fathers did. Simply going to the continental congress in Philly from Mass was life threatening. Made me very happy to see this post.
                            sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Ok...I've resisted till now..but have to say it...John Adams and John Quincy Adams are buried in a crypt in the church I attend in Quincy MA. I think it's really cool. United First Parish Church (Unitarian) Quincy. www.ufpc.org. John and John Q were lifelong members of the Church and contributed significantly to the construction of the existing building. Several years after John Q passed he and his father, and their wives, were moved from the burial ground across the street to the crypt they reside in now. Every year the federal government comes and lays a wreath for each one of them on the anniversery of their deaths. If your coming to Quincy at any time in the future send me a PM.
                              Last edited by Grunt 70; 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed