Colorado Skiing/snowboarding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Skiing/snowboarding

Hello all. I decided on a whim that I wanted to go see some snow, so I came to Colorado. I'm from Texas, so I got completely jipped as usual when it comes to winter. Anyhow, I'm staying in Silverthorne, CO, and was wondering what everyones favorite local mountains were to ski and/or snowboard. I already rented everything I need and will be skiing from tomorrow until Wednesday. Any pointers? Anyone locals wanna come along and show me what's up?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Colorado Skiing/snowboarding

Dude, if you had gone two weeks ago, I would have gladly shown you the deal. The big question is what kind of skiing do you like? Do you prefer lots of groomed trails, high mountains, bowls, more extreme skiing, backcountry? There are mountains that offer each of these things and some are better than others. So if you want the best gouge, tell us your flavor and we can probably give you a better picture of where to go! :D

Comment

Aww man! You were here 2 weeks ago? Drats. That's when I originally wanted to go, but I hesitated thinking it was irresponsible of me to skip out on work like this. But, then the need to go to the mountains overwhelmed me and I couldn't help myself.

Anyhow, I've only skied Taos, NM, which is renowned for it's high level of challenge and there are tons of telemarkers as well. I'm used to the single blacks there, which I hear are equivalent to the double blacks here in CO. I do love groomed snow to begin, but usually by the second day, I'm feeling good to go with the moguls on the steeps. I like both the leisure of the blues, and the challenge of some of the blacks. I've never done bowl skiing or anything too extreme. Would be fun if I was with someone competent. Haven't done backcountry either. I'd love to do all that, but I'm pretty much alone. Might not be wise to do that stuff by myself. Another year, perhaps. Next winter, I'm planning on Utah! :D

Comment

Heh, I wouldnt underestimate the skiing in colorado. Granted, it's no Whistler-Blackombe, but it's still some of the best there is. So lets see, you've got a few days in the area and youre looking to try some spots out. For what you described, I'd recommend Breckenridge, Steamboat, Copper Mountain/A-Basin, or Winter Park if you want it a little more relaxed. I'd probably stay away from Vail/Aspen because they tend to be 3x the price for the same quality skiing. Also, avoid Eldora unless you're feeling like running some bunny slopes. For the most variety, I'd go with Breckenridge though. It's impossible to ski all 4 peaks in one day and there are some great powder runs as well as plenty of groomed slopes. Also, Breck lift tickets get you into Keystone and theres a free shuttle, so you get two parks for one ticket.

Comment

Whistler's my skiing goal. I REALLY want to go there, but convincing people to go with me is the tough part. That's one place I don't want to go to alone. That's what sucks about being from San Antonio. I love skiing, but most people there have never even seen snow. So trying to get people to come with me is near impossible. That's why I'm here alone. I just said screw it...I'm going. And here I am!

Anyhow, thank you SO much for the recommendations! Breckenridge sounds great! Maybe that's where I'll go tomorrow morning. Now to find me some lil' snow bunnies. ;)

Comment

Theres plenty of those at breck! I'm going up to whistler in 2 years for the olympics. Me and a bunch of college friends are going to rent a lodge up there. They house something like 30 people (assuming one per room) and if you fill all the rooms its only like $270/week per person. So we're going to go to the olympics and enjoy some ridiculously good skiing/snowboarding.

Comment

Breck is nice

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                Theres plenty of those at breck! I'm going up to whistler in 2 years for the olympics. Me and a bunch of college friends are going to rent a lodge up there. They house something like 30 people (assuming one per room) and if you fill all the rooms its only like $270/week per person. So we're going to go to the olympics and enjoy some ridiculously good skiing/snowboarding.
                You da man! That's gonna be incredible!!!

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  Hello all. I decided on a whim that I wanted to go see some snow, so I came to Colorado. I'm from Texas, so I got completely jipped as usual when it comes to winter. Anyhow, I'm staying in Silverthorne, CO, and was wondering what everyones favorite local mountains were to ski and/or snowboard. I already rented everything I need and will be skiing from tomorrow until Wednesday. Any pointers? Anyone locals wanna come along and show me what's up?
                  Avoid Vail / Aspen. Touristy, cramped, expensive, and overrated.

Breckenridge is slowly getting like that, but still has the 'small town feel' and isn't too expensive yet. You can also get some sweet deals depending on where you look. I routinely got weekned lift tickets to A-basin, Keystone, Copper Mountain, and Breckenridge (together as a package deal).

Breck's challenge level isn't very high (unless you're insane and go Peak 7 or 8 summit), but I usually spend most of my time on Peak 9 or Peak 7. I don't handle moguls very well (I still have a 9 inch scar from the last time I nearly broke my arm there), but I enjoy high-speed. Peak 9 has lots of great runs, but it's usually pretty busy. Peak 7 tends to be more empty. The Monte Cristo is one of my favorite runs because there's usually almost nobody on it.

Comment

Especially for snow bunnies, I think Breck is the best spot for nightlife. Copper Mountain is also very good skiing/boarding and is easy to get in and out of. It's only about 15-20 minutes from Silverthorne.
                    New to TG?

Comment

OMG, this thread is in my wheel house. Ferris, great recommendations, I would add that if you had only 2 days ot ski in CO, you must hit BRECK and ABASIN, then COPPER. Skip Vail, too hard to get around unless you want to see the glam. I have skied all of Breck and did not have any issues, but I started skiing at age 4 and raced a bit.

Oh, and Squid is right, Breck has some sweet ladies/nightlife.

If you want more goals, yes Whistler, then go to Alta, and then Jackson Hole...then, and only then...Alaska.

I have skiing wood now! Great to see this thread.
                      sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Well, I'm back! I had a GREAT time. I spent my first couple days at Loveland, since they gave me a season pass for $99! I also took a days worth of lessons there, which were much to my benefit. I consider myself a good skier, but lessons are always extremely constructive and great after I haven't skied for 4 years. That place is actually really great and has ZERO lift lines. It's on the Continental Divide and is the highest skiing in the area, that I'm aware of. The view up top is simply the best I've seen in Colorado. Breathtaking. I'll post a 360 degree panoramic I took when I figure out how.

I spent the 3rd day at Copper Mountain. I was not as impressed here. The parking sucks so bad and is so far from the lift. They rope off a walkway guiding you to the bus. It was covered in black ice and I fell face first busting open my lip. Gushing blood, I grabbed some kleenex out of my pocket, grabbed the bus, and hauled butt to the clinic, which seemed to be pretty far from the mountain. Got some local anesthesia, 5 stitches, and was back out on the slopes. Copper was ridiculously packed. I've never seen so many people at a ski area. Mayhem might me a better term. The place is super commercialized too, to a ridiculous point. They had a ton of chevy's parked at the bottom of the American Eagle lift. They might have well said at the top, "This mountain view is brought to you by American Airlines." I've seen the X-Games on TV there, so I guess that's what happens when MTV or ESPN goes through town. Decent skiing, GREAT terrain parks if you're into freestyle, but way too many people for the size mountain it is.

The last day, I went to Keystone. I had swung by Breckenridge, but it was as stupidly packed as Copper, so I took off to Keystone. A wise choice I believe as I met several people on the lifts who left Breckenridge, saying it was way too busy. Now THAT was some great skiing. Parking was really close to the lifts, the place is SO huge that the crowds were not even noticeable. Tons of runs to explore. The best part? The lifts don't shut down at 4! At sunset, they start lighting up about 1/4 of the area (which is still a lot), and I just kept on skiing. I am definitely going back to Keystone someday.

For next winter, I'm planning a trip to Utah, since I have some friends that are from Salt Lake City and gonna show me around. They say some of the skiing there is fantastic. Thanks for the CO tips everyone! I'll try and post some pics later. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X