OMG! Wizard's First Rule TV Series!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! Wizard's First Rule TV Series!

It's finally happening. Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule is going to be a TV Series

"WFR to be made into TV miniseries
    Posted: 7/24/06
    TOR BOOKS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Elena Stokes Russell Galen

Director of Publicity Agent

Tor Books Scovil Chichak Galen Agency

Sam Raimi gets Terry Goodkind’s bestselling Sword of Truth adventure series!

Sam Raimi, best known as the director of the hugely successful SPIDER-MAN and SPIDER-MAN II films, and his producing partner Joshua Donen, have optioned film rights for Terry Goodkind’s enormously popular bestselling SWORD OF TRUTH adventure series, published by Tor Books.

Having been approached by Hollywood a number of times over the past decade, Goodkind was never convinced that his 400,000 word bestselling novels could be successfully compressed into worthwhile feature films. In a meeting at the author’s home, the renowned director and producer instead conceived of a groundbreaking mini-series. Within two hours Goodkind was sold on the concept and negotiations commenced. Ten months later the deal was finally concluded. “It’s a dream come true to work with someone of such remarkable vision, talent, and ability,” Goodkind said. “Given Sam’s sincere love for these stories and his determination to only make great films, this mini-series will be a watershed event.”

All of Goodkind’s novels have been international bestsellers. Translated into 20 foreign languages, there are over 10 million copies in print. The SWORD OF TRUTH series began with WIZARD’S FIRST RULE in 1994. The 10th novel in the series, PHANTOM, is on sale now. The 11th and final volume is under contract and will be published in 2008.

Raimi and Donen hope to begin production of the opening mini-series, WIZARD’S FIRST RULE, within the next year, to be followed by ensuing volumes of the epic novels. The development process will begin while Raimi completes SPIDER-MAN III. Definitive word on the production will be available in early 2007.

Goodkind was represented in the negotiations by Russell Galen of the Scovil Chichak Galen Agency in New York City"
    From what I've read, it has been Ok'd for 22 episodes and it gonna start production in May, first episode is supposed to come out in the Fall. I hope it's good. I cringed when I saw it was Disney/ABC, I REALLY REALLY hope they don't massacre it :row1_4:

You can see a really cool poster on terrygoodkind.com

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/images/tvshow/wfrtv.jpg
    Last edited by caldsteven; 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM.

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Re: OMG! Wizard's First Rule TV Series!

AWESOME! I have hoped for something like this and I really, really hope that they don't screw it up. Terry Goodkind is one of my top 3 authors along with J.R.R.Tolkien and David Eddings.

Comment

I loved this series for the first 3 books or so. After that, things went downhill. But it was fantastic at the beginning.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Have you read them all? I will admit some around the 4th book were a little letdown compared to the first two, but some of the later books are just as good if not better. Faith of the Fallen was especially good in my opinion.

Comment

I agree, First two were amazing, dropped some, but really came back near the end. I was very impressed with the last book. I'm just afraid Disney is going to kill it in regards to the Mord Sith and Darken Rhal/Denam Nass.

Comment

Excellent point. It's a pity but I expect Disney to drop a lot of the sensual aspects of the characters and storyline. If Raimi is a fan, hopefully he will put up a good fight to let some of that shine through because I feel it is a large part of certain characters and definitely adds to the story and tension in places.

Comment

Even if it turns out being changed like what Peter Jackson did to Lord of the Rings, I'll still watch the series. Maybe they'll be good for what they are, even if they aren't 100% accurate

Comment

Lord of the Rings had almost zero adult fare in the books, while this is more along the line of Caligula. :)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Sorry, I was referencing the story line changes that time.

Comment

This will certainly be an epic fail. There is no way that a tv mini series is going to be able to do justice to either the depth of the story nor the grittiness of it. Whole tracts of the plot--such as the Mord-Sith--will have to be omitted due to the puritan nature of broadcast tv in the US.

Expect it to be a shallow rendition that will leave viewers who haven't read the book thinking it was a light romantic comedy.
                    Twisted Firestarter
                    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't see this working. I read the first two they were great. But how are they going to portray the mud people? and all the S & M ?

Comment

Originally posted by LordMeatwad View Post
                        I don't see this working. I read the first two they were great. But how are they going to portray the mud people? and all the S & M ?
                        *sigh* How does this get the go-ahead and Martin's ASOIAF is only optioned? :(
                        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

The Mud People should be easy considering they are just tribal people covered in mud. all you need to do is keep them wet, lol.

Comment

Hate to perform such blasphemous necromancy here, but did this ever air?

Comment

Yes, the series is currently on Fox. It's horrible. Think "Hercules" or "Zena" only with Sword of Truth series names. They only vaguely follow the book and frequently do things that are complete fabrications and equally pointless. Another case of good intentions flushed down the toilet when the studio offers enough money to the author or creator to allow them complete control over the license. It fails about as bad as any recent "Tom Clancy" game and for the same reasons. So there is a lesson for you, if you write or create something cool in your life, don't sell out the license. Keep control of it. Your fan base will thank you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X