Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army to Field M16A5 and M4A2

Originally posted by Defense Review
    The Army's tried and true standard issue assault rifle, the M16, as well as the more recently adopted M4 carbine, will soon receive a badly needed upgrade. In service in various forms since the Vietnam Conflict, the M16 has seen action all over the world. Now, thanks to a partnership with Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) of Milan, IL, the M16 and M4 platforms will be updated for the 21st century.

Major improvements to the platforms include the standardization of LMT's Monolithic Rail Platform (MRP), which allows for a vast array of integrated optics as well as easily realized caliber changes via a quick-change barrel system. By simply changing the bolt, barrel, and magazine, the new system will be able to accommodate various calibers with ease. Both the M16 and the M4 platforms will feature these upgrades; the new version of the M16 will be type classified as the M16A5, while the M4 will adopt the M4A2 moniker.

Another major improvement will be the adoption of the 6.8x43mm SPC cartridge as the new Army Small Arms Cartridge (ASAC). This recent SOCOM-devised cartridge will offer improved ballistics without sacrificing firepower. A typical soldier's combat load will not increase substantially, and the added weight will be a welcome tradeoff for better range and penetration. Of the impending upgrade, PFC Travis Wilson, A/3-5 CAV, commented, "It's about time we got new weapons. I imagine we'll ship all our old stuff off to the Iraqis or the Marines, depending on who has the greater need."

The Army intends to begin upgrades to its existing M16s and M4s in 2010, with replacements of its M249 Squad Automatic Weapons and M240 General Purpose Machineguns to follow shortly thereafter. The Marine Corps currently does not have plans to upgrade to the new weapons platforms.

Interesting.
    Last edited by Strag; 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM.

Re: Army to Field M16A5 and M4A2

Hot.
    Skud

Comment

interesting i think its already available in the airsoft spectrum.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

If this is true, it is great news. I love LMT's MRP!!! It's so tasty!
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

You won't see any of those upgrades for years unfortunately. Maybe in 3-4 years. The contract with Colt still has a few years to run its course.

As for the LMT, it is only way to go. I own two MRP (CQB Model) and love them. They are quality and are light years ahead of the current Colt crap.
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

We're the American military, we should have laser guns and plasma rifles and ****. D:

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
              We're the American military, we should have laser guns and plasma rifles and ****. D:
              and sharks with freaking laser beams.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

We have microwave guns, scarier than laser guns.. you don't even see it coming... just insta pain. If they wanted to up the power they would quickly be lethal
                |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                That noob who crashed the chopper.
                That noob who ran over the mine.
                That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

April fools'.....

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                    We have microwave guns, scarier than laser guns.. you don't even see it coming... just insta pain.
                    Well, you wouldn't see lasers coming either.
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by Strag View Post
                      April fools'.....
                      The article is like 2 years old....
                      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                        We have microwave guns, scarier than laser guns.. you don't even see it coming... just insta pain. If they wanted to up the power they would quickly be lethal
                        Did you know that some gay UN protocol prohibits energy weapons that cause permanent blindness as their primary purpose?

There were laser weapons in development that would flash pulses and cause permanent retinal damage, nearly instantly. You'd be able to just point them at an infantry regiment and render them completely useless without firing a bullet. I don't even think it was visible light, may have been high-intensity infrared laser. You'd just *poof* be blind.

Personally I think that's a crock of ****... we can have weapons that'll cause severe injury, weapons that aren't designed to kill but to maim causing loss of limbs, permenant disfigurement, hell even napalm and flamethrowers aren't banned... but we can't blind the entire Chinese free-standing army. Much better to blow them up and their infrastructure so we can spend two hundred billion dollars rebuilding it all.

"It is prohibited to employ laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity.

For the purpose of this protocol "permanent blindness" means irreversible and uncorrectable loss of vision which is seriously disabling with no prospect of recovery. Serious disability is equivalent to visual acuity of less than 20/200 Snellen measured using both eyes."

Comment

Is there any pictures cause i cant seem to find one

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                            Is there any pictures cause i cant seem to find one
                            If you're talking about the OP, let me repeat

Originally posted by Strag
                            April fools'.....

I completely fabricated this article yesterday as an April Fools' joke. It's not a reprint of an old article; I totally made it up. Not surprisingly, TheBigC pretty much saw right through it. :)

Comment

Aw Man you got me!!! Theres another person i have to meatspin!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X