Graduation Present?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation Present?

My brother is graduating College. Hes graduating chem E. and will be immediately commissioned into the Navy (ROTC and all that business). I'm coming home from Japan to give him his first salute...which I'm pretty excited about...hes going to be a nuke officer...so he deserves it. That being said, I am TOTALLY at a loss for what to get him for a graduation present.

My spending limit is somewhere in the area of 400-600 bucks. I probably wouldnt go much over 600... unless it was the best present ever.

You guys have any suggestions for a college graduation present? I suggested watch...but apparently a 500 dollar watch is not that pimp these days.

a quick few things about my bro:

he drives a caddy (his fourth...loves em..totals em)
    into computers
    into guns (pretty good shot...he has a kimber tactical and a shot gun)
    into running/lifting
    chemical engineering major at U of Arizona

Re: Graduation Present?

Does he have a GPS?
    "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

A nice firearm is something he would keep a lifetime and actually use once in a while. I myself would LOVE to get a gun for a gift. That'd be my suggestion for him. How's about a nice AR-15?
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
        A nice firearm is something he would keep a lifetime and actually use once in a while. I myself would LOVE to get a gun for a gift. That'd be my suggestion for him. How's about a nice AR-15?
        Ya know...this might be the ticket...I thought those went for like 800.

Comment

Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
          Does he have a GPS?
          Not yet...the integrated one hes gonna get is like 2200. More $$ than I want to spend..AND i dont want to just give him cash. Good call tho.

Comment

A nice Digital Camcorder or Digital Camera would be nice for his trips around the world courtesy of the USN..

Comment

A decent gun cleaning kit. I'm not into firearms but I figure he could get use of it since you've mentioned he's into that type of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by section-8 View Post
                Ya know...this might be the ticket...I thought those went for like 800.
                I've seen 'em used at gun shows for around $500 in great shape. G-Man mentioned a digital camera, which is a GREAT idea for his trips. Since he'll be short on space for the foreseeable future, I'd recommend the Canon Elph SD1000. I just got one and it's AWESOME! It is one of the fastest in its class. It'll snap shots about as fast you can push the button and it's ready in like 1 second from power on. Great for when you wanna grab a quick shot of a fleeting moment. It also has this cool Photostitch feature that allows you to merge a bunch of pics into one giant 360 degree panoramic. It works seamlessly and is very impressive. Oh yeah, and Costco has 'em for like $169 with a 2 gb SD card!

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...tag=prod.txt.1
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I second the nice camcorder/digital camera (with video capabilities). And lots of memory for it.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

A Canon PowerShot G9 if'n you're going for the point'n click digital camera. It really can't be beat.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Take him to a gun shop and tell him you are buying him a handgun. Pick out something nice like a H&K USP .45 or similar. Let him do the paperwork so it's all in his name, you just pay for it. Just a thought, but it worked well for a friend of mine who was buying one for his father.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        I'd recommend the Canon Elph SD1000.
                        Youre right on the money. He already has one.

Comment

I keep thinking there's gotta be some way to link chemistry and nukes into the gift. (By nukes do we mean subs or ships or weapons management or what?)
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Elwenil View Post
                            Pick out something nice like a H&K USP .45 or similar.
                            I wouldn't IMO. There are better options out there I think. I just sold mine, and owned it for while. Even though it was a "Nice" gun, it really has bad ergonomics(for me at least). Many previous owners,like myself, will tell you that there is just "something about it" that bugs them. I can't describe it. I have a glock now, and I am much happier.

Stay far away from cheap Ar-15's, you really do need to buy quality the first time round. Just my opinion, you mileage may very ;)
                            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

If you're going for a gun I would suggest a colt 1911 45.ACP, it has been used in WWI and WWII, there have been many modifications of it, but the design has always been the same. It is still used in law enforcement (SWAT), and it is absolutely a handgun you fall in love with the second you feel it in your hand. It might be hard to find the gun, but it's worth it. I'm not sure about the price, I think it goes for around 800$?
                              Walk softly and carry a big gun.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X