Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need name ideas for a charity

Serious question here..

I am going to officially start a charitable organization and I'd like to come up with some kind of name to identify it with

What I've started doing is helping single parents with tight cash-flows get their computers fixed or cleaned up and functional for little to no cost to them. In some real hardship cases I outright replace their PC with a high-quality refurb for free that is always a better model than what they had been using.

I've been doing this for a while and the people I help all find out about me by word of mouth. So far they have all been single moms that have been ripped off by someone 'building' a PC for then and stuff like that. They are always totally computer-illiterate, while I can't fix that - I try and coach them on keeping their kids 'safe' on the net and stuff.

It's really kind of fun and I learn a lot of stuff. They are always very grateful because they've been dealing with a crippled PC for so long and their kids need to do their school stuff and so on. They always insist on paying, and I accept - but only accept it on the terms that they understand that the money is used to help others. It's usually not very much but I turn it around and use it for defraying the cost of parts or getting licensed software for their systems and stuff.

So - Lets give this thing a name, ideas anyone?

Questions? ask away!
    sigpic

Re: Need name ideas for a charity

R.E.- PC

(Refurbish to Encourage)

Holy crap. I like that. I hope you don't use it. I think I might.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Why don't you two work together?

You could build a small network of computer professionals that would be interested in helping with this....I'm absolutely sure there are a lot of charitable and like minded computer techs out there. Most of us already do so much of this type of charity work anyway...I bet you could find some other people here at TG that would be interested in being a part of something like this as long as it is charitable.

It wouldn't take a lot of internet based organization so that people could find someone in their area to help them or put you in touch with people that need your help.
      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

The Computer Bank ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Love this idea. Will think on it lots and get back to this thread.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I like the idea myself. I do a lot of charitable work already, but having a NP designed specifically for this would be great.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Refurbish to Encourage ain't too bad!

Comment

Wow.. Refurbish to Encourage is really strong - as is The Computer Bank.

I also derived 'Tech Samaritans' from another forum.

As I have been working out the goals for this, proactively getting others to sign in for this type of assistance is on top of the list. I think as word gets out, it will be too difficult for me to maintain. I'm certain that this will probably spread to many other towns and cities as techs get a feel for how rewarding this type of thing is.

Thnk of anything Wyz?
                sigpic

Comment

You may want to consider it a "Not for Profit" organization instead of a registered charity.

I know that here in Canada the reg's are much tougher if you want it to be a registered charity. Boards of Directors, accounting reg's etc. I imagine the reg's in the States are equally harsh as here in order to prevent tax abuse, fraud etc.

I think you'll need to require a strict ethics code for your volunteers.

You ideally need is a map of North America with a forum for people to register their intent to help out and their abilities. I think you can do something with mapquest, or googlemaps as a searchable app like our TG members map if it's still around.

"Tech Samaritan's" sounds really good.
                  Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                  Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Yep.. it's tougher at first to register as an NFP.. I'm going to get some further legal advise on it.

The mission statement I've produced is pretty clear. Anybody that is recruited will also have to agree to a lvl 2 background screen (lunsford act) if they visit on-site clients (or probably if they are involved at all).
                    sigpic

Comment

Motherboard for mothers
                      People make mistakes all the time, unfortunately you were one of them.

UndeadComrade

Comment

The Computer Rehabilitation Foundation
                        or
                        The Computer Restoration Foundation

You can Substitute Foundation for
                        Trust
                        Fund
                        Army
                        Alliance
                        but I like Foundation best.

Comment

Acquiring a 501(c)3 takes some time and some legal work. However, if you do get it, you'll be amazed at the amount of support you'll receive from corporations and folks with money that are looking to contribute to a worthy cause, and there are a LOT out there!

BTW - this is a brilliant idea and kudos for helping those with real needs!

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Undead.. Mmmm.. no so much.. but I'll tell you why. During the process of creating the organizations mission I realized that in the long run this wasn't going to be limited to single Mom's (and actually never was.. just for single parents).

and Hambergler.. Thanks man.. those are good too!

I am seriously impressed with the response on this thread in PM's and +reps.. I'm really floored by the positive impression I have from everyone I've heard from.

Everyone here really has helped in a very encouraging way for me to make this happen in an official capacity. We have acquired a respectable attorney for the initial paperwork and are in the process of appointing a board of directors. I've got a few extremely influential and experienced people acting as counsel for me and helping out. We'll probably have an actual office and contact info in about a week.

If you are thinking of ripping of my idea? PLEASE DO! :)
                            Really - get out there and do it! If you don't.. hopefully I'll have a branch in your state in 12-18 months or so. So if you don't want to jump on this on your own but still want to participate on such an endeavor - let me know, I'll get your info and keep you in the loop!

Looks like right now I would love to continue to get advice from you TG folk!

Thanks guys! I always know I can count on great inspiration from you all!

- David
                            sigpic

Comment

Tech Nickel Savers
                              Shared Computing
                              Oasis Tech
                              Family Bootstraps
                              Better Bootups

I had better hopes for my creative abilities, to be honest. I love the play on words with the first one, FWIW. I think "Savers" could be replaced with a better word (that still gets across the idea of saving money).
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X