Exercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise

I am getting old and, to see my kids reach maturity, I need to exercise.

The problem is that I find most of it so boring.

So I am looking for ideas for at least somewhat entertaining exercise that doesn't require specialized locations (eg rock climbing) or tons of equipment.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Exercise

Running IMO is the best way to stay in shape, running and working out (free weights type of stuff).. When football season starts up thats when Ive been in the best overall shape ever in my life. You'll be suprised how easy it is to do certain things after youve trained for more than just 4 or 5 weeks.

But while training you NEED to train, dont just sit there or not work your body to its limits..
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Running will get your legs and abs nicely built up, while swimming is probably the best way to encourage all-around body strength.
      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I absolute hate running. Plus it hurts my shins.

Swimming is attractive. I just need to find a pool.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

That is actually very true, Ive never thought of swimming for working out or anything though, seems like it would benefit your lungs also though so probably better endurance than running..

Would seem like swimming would take alot longer to gain muscle though, are their anythings such as weights or anything like that (personal tide pools but those for the richies)
          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
            Would seem like swimming would take alot longer to gain muscle though, are their anythings such as weights or anything like that (personal tide pools but those for the richies)
            It depends on what you want to do, do you actually want to be strong or look strong? Swimming won't build especially well-shaped or large muscles, but it will make those muscles damned good at endurance work and still be decently strong. Its the same way with running; they won't look impressive, but they'll be pretty good.
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

As an ex cross country runner I can attest to the awesomeness of running.

If you can endure your introductory month you will grow to like it very much.

To make it more interesting, try orienteering, though it is not as common in the US as it is in Europe

Orienteering is basically running a race where they give you a map at the start and all you have is a compass. The daily run may seem boring to you, but going to an orienteering race should be pretty exciting.

Having a monthly or bimonthly race can help keep you motivated... there are running clubs all over the place where you can get training partners --- perhaps the most valuable running asset --- and runner girls can be very hot (if not totally 2#$^^@ crazy)

If you care to get serious for it (or anyone else) I can probably put together a very effective running plan for say, 3 months ... if you stick with it, by the end you will ask me for 3 more months... harder months at that.
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                It depends on what you want to do, do you actually want to be strong or look strong? Swimming won't build especially well-shaped or large muscles, but it will make those muscles damned good at endurance work and still be decently strong. Its the same way with running; they won't look impressive, but they'll be pretty good.
                If you wanted to have the strength and the looks, what would you do thats special to get that to happen? Just flex up and work your hardest like non stop?

and Yea I was thinkin about doin crosscountry, seems like it would be a hell of a lot better than track.. (runnin in circles, fun..) but during FB season and it would get somewhat annoying training for 2 mile races and such.

Comment

2 mile races for track you mean? XC is 5k / 3.106 miles at the least (for guys anyway)

XC and track are completely different beasts
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                  That noob who crashed the chopper.
                  That noob who ran over the mine.
                  That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                  That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

If you wanted to have the strength and the looks, what would you do thats special to get that to happen? Just flex up and work your hardest like non stop?
                    This is something I can help with. Not to brag, but I am proud of being extremely strong, especially for my age. It's something I can truly call my own.

The answer to your question, at least for me, is to dedicate a large amount of time and effort to weight lifting and calisthenics. Get a gym membership(No way around it, unless you own your own bench and free weights like I do, but that's not practical for everyone ) and dedicate approximately 1 1/2 hours every other day for upper body lifting, and somewhat less for legs on the alternate days. Make sure you do a variety of exercises for each muscle group. For instance, I do eight sets of pushups to start with, alternating standard military pushups with diamonds. Then I do chest flys, then I bench, doing four sets for each exercise to muscle exhaustion. That's chest done, so I move to arms, again alternating lifting methods. Change up the pace and weight amount, go fast and then slow, do a heavy set and then do a lighter one with more reps. Use nautilus when you can, as they tend to isolate muscle groups, which makes for a more effective workout and usually leads to you looking buff as hell relatively quickly. Make sure you really step up your food intake, though, or you'll just burn yourself.

This works for me, as weightlifting and exercise are things I genuinely enjoy doing, so I'm happy to dedicate a large amount of time to it. It's a good stress relief for me as well. You'll be able to max a PT test easy in relatively little time when you combine this type of method with running. To sum it up, it really just takes dedication, an intelligent workout(not hard to come up with on your own) and a reasonably large amount of time on your hands.
                    Last edited by _Romulus_; 04-16-2008, 01:08 AM.
                    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
                    - John Stuart Mill

Comment

Lifting will get you decent-looking muscles, though their strength would be balanced by almost no muscular endurance whatsoever.

Comment

www.crossfit.com

They release a daily workout plan that is posted on the front page. There is some special equipment you or a local gym might not have (kettle bells, rings, climbing rope, etc.) but there are 7 crossfit.com affiliates in Oklahoma so they will have the necessary equipment. Many of the exercises that require special equipment have alternative exercise to do instead that work the same muscle groups.

Here is a list of the affiliates in Oklahoma.

Jenks:
                        CrossFit Jenks

McAlester:
                        CrossFit North Oklahoma

Norman:
                        Ground Zero Fitness

Oklahoma City:
                        CrossFit OKC

Stillwater:
                        CrossFit Stillwater

Tulsa:
                        CrossFit Tulsa

Tulsa:
                        Next Generation CrossFit

If you are just getting back into working out, they recommend going here to get scaled workouts for that days exercises.

I just started getting into it again after a second serious shoulder sprain in a year sidelined me for a good couple of months. You will be surprised at how tired you are after the workout. Many of the troops and sailors in the Special Forces use Crossfit as well as Marines, Soldiers and Police Officers.

Lastly I recommend picking up a side sport as well to get that extra cardio while being away from the grind of the gym. There are a ton of leagues out there for various sports. The hardest part is just tracking them down.

Comment

My routine consists of about half of these postures for the spine.
                          http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/asana/exercise.html
                          25lb Dumbbells for arms, back, and shoulders. Stretches a kung fu teacher showed me for legs and arms and then I go out and bike 5 miles for my heart. I do this every other day, except on the weekends I bike 15. When I get home I do push ups for my chest and sit ups for abs.

I try to eat 40% protein 40% carbs 20% good fats every feeding. Six times a day. 3x 600 calorie meals. 3x 150 calorie snacks. I eat only fish, grains, nuts, fruits and veggies. No meat, eggs, cheese, butter etc. Only drink water or tea. I like Solgar brand supplements. Multi, B12, fish oil, biotin and I usually have a serving of whey protein immediately after exercise.

I have been doing a variation of this for 2 years and it works for me I think its the basic minimum.

Comment

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vinced3.htm

http://health.msn.com/fitness/mens-f...8208&GT1=31036

Just two articles I try to follow, first one is the workout and all that imma be tryin to stay to when May 1st comes around (myself bein 5'6"? and only weigh 120 lbs. pretty damn annoying at times but can still bench 20lbs more than own weight and last squat max was 225 I think) so I can hopefully put on a bit more weight. My metabolism sucks, I've tried eating as much as I can for about 4 days in a row and I gained about 10 lbs. then 2 days after I measured 130 I dropped back down to 120 even though the only excercising I did in those 2 days would be walking and running probably 5 blocks total.

Edit: and ah yea, I got a bench myself, one of the Golds Gym machines, lovin it though.

And whats everybodys hardest workouts for both upper and lower abs...? And side of abs if possible to target specificly.

Comment

Powerballing is quite fun, and easy. Basically, it's a ball about the size of a cricket ball, but it is hollow, with another ball inside. The outside ball has a hole in the bottom, so you can see and touch the inside one (this sounds dodgy but bear with me here). The inside ball has a groove unning through it, with a few small holes in. You take a piece of cord, put the end in one of the small holes, wind the inside ball around so the cord is in the groove, then pull. It sets the inside ball spinning, and then you hold it in your hand and rotate your hand at the wrist. The faster you rotate, the more difficult it gets, so you have to try harder, which makes it spin faster, which makes it more difficult, so you have to...

It's fun, cheap (prices from £5 to £50) and you can get ones with lights that flash when you spin, and a counter that tells you how many RPM you are doing.

It's basically a big gyroscope, it strengthens your hand, wrist and arm muscles.

http://www.nsdball.com/
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X