Exercise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exercise

Too bad we aren't close to any real mountains, because alpine skiing is totally my favorite form of exercise. Too bad I only get to do it like once every 5 years. You ever try roller-blading? That's a lot of fun and can be a great workout. Kept me in great shape when I was in high school
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Outdoor or indoor bicycling. I've been bicycling to work for years now all year round, so i have some experience. It's good for the health (combined with a healthy diet you can loose some weight too if that's your thing), pretty cheap to get into and easy to learn. You can choose your own difficulty and speed when starting, and go from there to whatever level you want to go with it. Bringing along some nice music i a must too.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
        I am getting old and, to see my kids reach maturity, I need to exercise.

The problem is that I find most of it so boring.

So I am looking for ideas for at least somewhat entertaining exercise that doesn't require specialized locations (eg rock climbing) or tons of equipment.
        If you're not one to work out, then listen up:

Set yourself up a Goal. Working out means a lot more when you're doing it for more then good health. And do it for yourself, don't place the reason on working out to see your kids grow up. It's a noble idea, but you won't find enjoyment or fulfillment in anything you do if you don't do it for yourself (and more or less you'll end up quiting).

If you challenge yourself to compete in a race, triathlon, or just some personal best(I want to hike x miles with x pounds in 4 weeks) then you'll get motivation and desire to meet that challenge. And why not involve your kids? Why not get them interested in seeing Dad compete, or take them along on hikes or walks.

1. Go see a doctor of chiropractic and naprapathy (D.C./D.N.). The list of reasons here are too vast, but if you haven't seen one before they are the real miracle workers. If you want to be healthier and live longer, this is the person to see. At the very least, they'll be able to give you a clear idea of where your body is at, where it needs to be, and how to get there (including telling you how to fix that shin pain you have when running).

2. Go see a certified trainer once or twice to setup or modify a routine. Once you've decided on a goal and talked to the D.C./D.N. then a trainer is the guy to see about creating an interesting regiment. They get paid to do this, I always wonder why people don't seek them out when they start. They have resources to get you in touch with different events/organizations/sports etc that you can get involved with to keep you healthy.
        USAR

Comment

After thinking about it swimming would end up being as boring as running. Maybe even more so since you are in a little box.

Orienteering sounds like fun. We did some of that in my webelo days. But we didn't run so I guess it wasn't, technically, orienteering. The main problem is I doubt there is much of it going on in central Oklahoma.

Skiing.... Again, central Oklahoma.

Thanks for the advice squeak. But the word "routine" just scared the crap out of me. Trainer? Somebody telling me what to do? EEEEK!

But generally I hate exercise and find it a complete waste of time. There is no mental stimulation, no challenge to it except physical. Boring. Generally there is very little skill to learn. Or the skills you can gain are very subtle.

The only time I have stuck with it was when I found the experience enjoyable and exciting. I would do paintball, that is fun and you do get exercise. You are going against another human being. Trying to out think them is the main part of the game. But I want to do it more than once a week.

Other organized sports would be fun except for the quality of people that play them. I don't like that quality of person. Not saying that they are of a poor quality or a of good quality, just not my quality. Ok, I will just say it, they tend to be social people and I am a hermit.

Other things like rock climbing, which I enjoyed the couple of times I did it, would be good but there is the accessibility problem again.

Golf? Costs to much and needs to much time to set up. I want something that I can do when, suddenly, I have a free hour or two.

The more I think about it the more I like biking. It is interesting in that you have to control your machine in unpredictable terrain. Most trails change over time, even from day to day, because of weather and other people using them. I can just take off at any time with almost no preperation. Plus a big bonus is that when my kids get a bit older they can come with me sometimes.
          I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

There is no mental stimulation, no challenge to it except physical.
            I disagree. The challenge is 90% mental and the opponent is yourself.

Comment

Running is boring. Weights are boring. They're both effective.

Racquetball is an excellent sport for exercise, and is relatively easy and fun. I suggest finding an indoor racquetball club and join up. It offers great cardio, some strength, and lots of stretching -- all of which are great for a man your age.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                I disagree. The challenge is 90% mental and the opponent is yourself.
                There is the willpower and all that. Overcoming your desire just to stop. But that is not what I am talking about.

I ran the mile and two mile in High School. The only way I could keep myself going was to think about other things. Math problems, girls, anything but what I was doing because I wasn't doing anything but running and breathing. Sometimes I would count my breaths and multiply it by some other number in my head. Of course I lost track of what I was doing and usually ended up close to last.

My coach would tell me I have to concentrate on the running, breathing, distance between me and the runners around me etc. Ok, but that takes about a second of thought every thirty seconds at the most. Twenty nine seconds is a loooong time to think the same thing over and over again. So I would get distracted by counting the red shirts in the crowd or clouds in the sky, anything to kill the boredom.

One race I was shocked when the guy next to me started talking to me about computers. He had a C=64 also! At the end of the race they told us to get off the track because we where so far behind! I caught hell for that one. But because I was the only one running the mile and two mile the coach let me stay on the team.

I am sure that some people do find running interesting. And power to you all. But for me, nope. This goes for doing sit ups, push ups, weight lifting (another thing I did in HS 5 times a week) anything that is just repetitive in nature. It all hurts my brain and thus my desire to do it.

I think my biggest problem is the goal. I need a goal. Either it is to help others or it is to entertain myself. Now I have the abstract of "it will help me live longer thus see my kids grow up" so that is good. But I think I also need intermediate goals like sqeak mentions.

In running so what if I go 5, 10, 20, 2000 miles? What did I gain? It wasn't entertaining and I didn't help anybody with it. Same with most other "exercise". It isn't entertaining and I don't help anybody with it. Even if it was for a race does anybody, including myself, care if I do well in it? I have many things I care about doing well, winning competitions is not one of them.

So I guess I am looking for a hobby type exercise program. I could care less if I ever get buff or even loose weight. I don't care to look good or impress anybody. Something I can do that interests me but also gets me off my butt a few times a week to get my blood vessels elasticised and my heart a bit more efficient.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Hey, I always like going for a run, so I guess I can't help you there. :/ If you're not into just flat-out exercise, some kind of sport might be better. Soccer would get my vote, but I am a huge fan of all things cardio.
                  I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                    Running is boring. Weights are boring. They're both effective.

Racquetball is an excellent sport for exercise, and is relatively easy and fun. I suggest finding an indoor racquetball club and join up. It offers great cardio, some strength, and lots of stretching -- all of which are great for a man your age.

Now that is an idea! Doesn't require the skill of tennis nor is it an organized sport, really. Just hitting the ball around in a box. Something to concentrate on as I move around.

I would have to play against some jerkwad every once in a while that thinks winning the match is akin to being GOD, the only detraction I can see. Plus I really want to do this in the early morning before I go to work, around 5am.

But it would be a nice supplement. I will look into this. Thanks for the idea Tempus!

Comment

Yea BS running is boring.. Jeez; [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSr1pozm6Y[/media]
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                        Yea BS running is boring.. Jeez; [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSr1pozm6Y[/media]
                        Yea, I could just see my 230# 40yr old hairy body jumping all around like that through my neighbors yards an through their windows.

Now that would be HILARIUS! Until I got arrested.

Comment

If you're a focused racer, theres more to it than just focusing on breathing and distance. You have to be aware of where you are on the course, planning speed changes, outsmarting other runners who dont want you to get ahead. But yeah, I suppose if you're not a serious runner, then running would be pretty boring. I've always enjoyed it. It's a chance to be completely free. No phone, nobody team depending on your actions, no distractions other than what you create for yourself. It's just you. A good 3-4 hour run will completely clear your head if you're fed up with dealing with people and just need to get away for a while.

Comment

I am getting old and, to see my kids reach maturity, I need to exercise.

The problem is that I find most of it so boring.

So I am looking for ideas for at least somewhat entertaining exercise that doesn't require specialized locations (eg rock climbing) or tons of equipment.
                            Pick up some weights and try to find your weak spots (one of mine is the knees), then work them with low weight and gently for a couple of weeks. I don't do any set number of repetitions or sets. I just listen to my body. That will set you up to pursue loftier goals. If you just try to keep working at your weak spots that will probably remain a moving target and help fight the boredom.

You may also enjoy some resistance positions. I like this type of training because it isn't complicated or very time consuming. Try this: lay flat on your stomach with your arms by your side bent at the elbows. With your forearms flat against the ground raise your body so that only your forearms and your toes are touching the ground, then...hold and breathe slowly and in a controlled way. Try to hold your body as straight as possible for as long as possible. It should look roughly like this:
                            At first it should take just a few seconds to a minute before you're shaking. Your coach was right: focus on the breathing. The point is to focus on just that and block everything else out. That gets you into a zone. I once rode my bike almost 30 Km like that without even noticing until I was overtaking a guy I knew and he started to chat and broke my concentration.
                            If you want to make it a bit more challenging do counts of 5: facing down, then balance on the side of your foot and on your forearm for 5, face down for 5 and same thing on the other side. This is pretty simple but it may not be easy, depending on your condition. The good thing about it is that you are working a whole bunch of muscles at the same time, namely all the ones that hold your gut flatter. Since these muscles are like a natural girdle around your waist and act as antagonists to your back muscles you'll notice some results pretty quickly with your posture and how you walk more erect and with your gut naturally tucked in. The tough thing I find is to actually schedule a session, that's why I come up with quick stuff that can be done almost anytime and anywhere. Just make a habit of doing a thing or two when the show you are watching goes to commercial, for instance.

Before you do anything consult your doctor and/or go to a gym close by and do a fitness test. In the end just playing with your kids may be all you need to feel great and stay in shape. Everyone is different. If you do better when you focus on others and kids nowadays are usually sedentary why don't you get your kids moving, sort of "coach" them and tag along for the ride?

Challenging young bodies should keep it interesting and trying to keep pace with their capabilities and energy should keep you motivated. Once again, the idea is a moving target to keep your focus and fight boredom.

I'm no expert but I trained a neighbor from a fat blob until he decided to stop because his arms were getting too big. This guy was ripped enough to enter a bodybuilding contest.

I hope what I told you at least gives you some food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              suppose if you're not a serious runner, then running would be pretty boring.
                              Bingo! I am not looking to get serious about any exercise program. Just something that is entertaining and also happens to better my health a bit. My doctor told me that I only need to do 20-30 minutes of moderate stuff 3 times a week to accomplish, lowering my blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Walking in the mall would probably be enough.

If it was safe I would walk or ride a bike to the store for the small items we always seem to need. But there are no sidewalks between here and the store. And many of the drivers just don't pay attention. Sprawling cities like OKC just are not at all friendly to bikers or walkers.

It is telling that the whole topic of exercise seems to be, for many, an all or none proposition. Either you hit it hard with a trainer and a regiment and all that, or you sit on the couch and atrophy.

But that is how much of our living space is set up. This building or space is for exercise and most every other place is comfortable, including the car we use to get to the exercises place. No wonder America is so fat.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Not to be rude or insulting but coming from someone who never used to workout who suffers from high blood pressure since his mid 20's who was over weight his entire life AND who is still working on improving himself my advice to you is................

Quit making excuses

Try anything and everything you can. You MUST make goals to challenge yourself not just physically but mentally. If you decide to ride a bike then set up a coarse of set distance. the first time you ride that distance time yourself. Once you have that time then the next time you ride you want to try and break that time and continue to try and improve your time.

If you decide weights I highly recommend you see a trainer that can help you attain your goals in a more time efficient manner. Also if you have a trainer you are now forces to go because you are now accountable. A trainer will also help you do the reps correctly to keep you from hurting yourself and improving your results.

Stick with whatever you do for a month, if you are working your cardio (heart and lungs) you will be surprised how good you feel. Don't be afraid to move onto other things and if you are looking into loosing weight then I suggest learning PROPER nutrition. Balaced meals, size of the meals and chewing your food.

I have lost about 41LBS, lowered my blood pressure and the amount of meds I was taking and feel great. I still have a ways to go but I have no doubts I will accomplish what I am trying to do. If you want any help feel free to PM me. Good luck!!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X