Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Exercise

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
    Not to be rude or insulting but coming from someone who never used to workout who suffers from high blood pressure since his mid 20's who was over weight his entire life AND who is still working on improving himself my advice to you is................

Quit making excuses

Try anything and everything you can. You MUST make goals to challenge yourself not just physically but mentally. If you decide to ride a bike then set up a coarse of set distance. the first time you ride that distance time yourself. Once you have that time then the next time you ride you want to try and break that time and continue to try and improve your time.

If you decide weights I highly recommend you see a trainer that can help you attain your goals in a more time efficient manner. Also if you have a trainer you are now forces to go because you are now accountable. A trainer will also help you do the reps correctly to keep you from hurting yourself and improving your results.

Stick with whatever you do for a month, if you are working your cardio (heart and lungs) you will be surprised how good you feel. Don't be afraid to move onto other things and if you are looking into loosing weight then I suggest learning PROPER nutrition. Balaced meals, size of the meals and chewing your food.

I have lost about 41LBS, lowered my blood pressure and the amount of meds I was taking and feel great. I still have a ways to go but I have no doubts I will accomplish what I am trying to do. If you want any help feel free to PM me. Good luck!!!!!
    Not rude at all. And you are correct in that I am making excuses. What I am trying to do is minimize my excuse surface area. ;)
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

In response to Lusitano's exercise: Holy crap dude, i just tried that and managed to go for 1:20 before I had to stop and afterward it felt like I had seriously done about 100 pushups. Thats absolutely insane. I'm going to start adding that to my daily regimen.

Comment

I did some of the resistance training while in the Navy. Exercise was the fun thing to do on the pig. That should tell you how exciting a ship is most of the time.

I still do some of it while at work. I sit on one of those big exercise balls at work for a couple hours each day. It has helped my back pain alot.
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          Not rude at all. And you are correct in that I am making excuses. What I am trying to do is minimize my excuse surface area. ;)
          I'm glad you aren't taking offense El Gringo. I think based on what you are trying to do I personally would concentrate on cardio. That's what I have been doing. I have been hiking a mountain that is 1.2 miles straight up to an elevation of 2608 ft. When I first started I was doing it in 49 min and I am now doing it at 36mins. I have lost inches around my waist and my blood pressure is much better. You have to keep your heart rate up for you to see the results you are looking for. I hate doing it but I love the way I feel. I can definitely feel it when I don't do it

If exercise was fun everyone would be doing it. I used my time to do a lot of soul searching to find faults and answers to improve those faults. You will be surprised how much you can do when you start to venture into the deep dark places of your mind. Again good luck and if I can help feel free to ask
          sigpic

Comment

Lusitano: We did the same time of thing in our xc group, except we would go for 25 seconds, lift one arm straight out (pretend you are superman) and hold that for 15. Switch arms and hold for 15. Likewise, lift one leg just off the ground, so your toes are about an inch above. 15, then switch and another 15. All four limbs on the ground, hold for 10 more.

Then, you get to do the same thing, except you raise one arm and the opposite leg at the same time, all without adjusting your posture. Brilliant workout for abdominal muscles.
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
              Lusitano: We did the same time of thing in our xc group, except we would go for 25 seconds, lift one arm straight out (pretend you are superman) and hold that for 15. Switch arms and hold for 15. Likewise, lift one leg just off the ground, so your toes are about an inch above. 15, then switch and another 15. All four limbs on the ground, hold for 10 more.

Then, you get to do the same thing, except you raise one arm and the opposite leg at the same time, all without adjusting your posture. Brilliant workout for abdominal muscles.
              Yeah, I know, it's pretty amazing what that little time can do for you.

Drizzid: I am not of the opinion that goals must be ridgid like "get to the top of the mountain today". If you get there you're done, and if you don't you get discouraged. Now if you state it and think of it as "get to the top of the mountain someday", then you'll keep trying and working at it all the while bettering yourself. If and when you do reach the top of the mountain you will probably not slump in the couch right afterward with a feeling of objective accomplished but rather realize that the journey IS the destination, in a way, and just keep going.

In fact I think your ultimate goal should be clearly stated but somewhat undefined. What I mean is that you set yourself up to "strive for well being". That way you may not be in the mood to run 5K today but you may just walk 10K in a trail in the rain because it nurtures your soul and gives you inner strength to keep up your physical activity or, like someone else already mentioned, because that time can be used for some deep reflection that provides answers to nagging problems and that sort of thing. If you do it with your kids, friends or family it can also be a bonding experience. In the end, whether you are consciously trying to delve deeper within yourself or just go out for a stroll the result will be similar because it will take your mind off of things.

In my job I once had to go to a group retreat over a weekend in the Algonquin region. The result was that I worked for about 2 hours and since I took my wife and a couple who are our friends we ended up canoing, hiking and stuff like that. On Monday it felt like I had a week off just because while doing all that stuff my mind was focused in the moment and away from all the worries and rush of day-to-day life. Sometimes that's all it takes. There is more to health than the physical.

The ancients had it right: Mens sana in corpore sano. Keep a balance and it gets much easier.

BTW, from what you said I am one year shy of your age and I'd love to try Parkour. Why don't you set a goal of getting in shape to get arrested for jumping around your neighbor's backyards? It would be a great story for your kids to tell the grandkids and it would keep life interesting. ;)

Comment

I rock climb occasionally, but my best advice would be to get a dog. I walk mine a couple of miles every day and it keeps him happy and me healthy. (both mentally and physically. It is a great time to dump my problems.) Good for both of us.
                sigpic

Comment

This type of question is so wide open and there are so many possible choices. My advice is to just do something. No one is going to make you sign a contract that says you must continue to do something you don't like. Give a sport a try, if you don't like the people find something else. At the very worst you will still be getting excercise with people that you don't want to associate with.

There are so many nuiances to weight lifting etc. that can be daunting at first, however if you just get in there you can learn as you go. It took me two years to figure out what worked for my body and what to eat. You can also do a billion differnt excersise and challenge yourself each week if you want. However it isn't the most exciting thing in the world.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like people in general and if I only have to interact with a my select group of friends and some of my family members Im happy. However I finally forced myself to get out there and do something. I have tried badminton (good excercise and surprising how many people play it have decently), curling (ok this one is a double edge sword because you get some moderate excercise and then you drink beer), basketball, badminton again at a new place, and now Im doing martial arts. Some of these activities my friends convinced me to do some I just did on my own. Again I am a hermit and it was tough for me to meet new people but it has been pretty good so far, plus I have done the weight lifting and Im just not motivated for it now. The martial arts is good excercise, a bit pricey but find it very interesting. You are learning something while excercising and eventually you will be able to crush that annoying raquetball player :row__572:

Again, just do something, you don't need to stick to one thing for the rest of your life. Good luck :row1_2:

Comment

You said you enjoyed rock climbing, have you heard of OKC Rocks? They are the big silos down by the Ford Center that have been converted into a bunch of climbing courses. I don't particularly enjoy climbing, but I've been there a couple times, and it's a pretty nice place. Can't get their website to load, but here it is on Yahoo.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...klahoma_city-i

And according to that it has the highest artificial climb in the nation if you ever get really ambitious.

*edit* For some reason I thought you put you were from Oklahoma City, but I guess you just said Oklahoma, so this might not be applicable.
                    Last edited by Bodofooko; 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Nah, he lives in OKC. I think he's just on the other side of I35 from me. This thread has got me thinking though....
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
                        A variant I find much more intersting
                        |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                        That noob who crashed the chopper.
                        That noob who ran over the mine.
                        That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                        That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

This is what worked for me. Set a specific time for your exercise every other day or 4 times a week at 6 o'clock or whatever. Do your exercise at those times whether you want to or not. Do not push yourself to do more then you are comfortable with. Forget the macho no pain no gain philosophy. Your workouts will gradually pick up momentum as your muscles get stronger. If you push yourself you will have a negative feeling about the experience and it will become much harder. It doesn't matter how much you do as long as you are consistently doing it and have a goal of becoming healthier. Habit will always win. My workouts have become so second nature that they aren't any diffrent then sitting on my porch with a little AC/DC on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                            This is what worked for me. Set a specific time for your exercise every other day or 4 times a week at 6 o'clock or whatever. Do your exercise at those times whether you want to or not. Do not push yourself to do more then you are comfortable with. Forget the macho no pain no gain philosophy. Your workouts will gradually pick up momentum as your muscles get stronger. If you push yourself you will have a negative feeling about the experience and it will become much harder. It doesn't matter how much you do as long as you are consistently doing it and have a goal of becoming healthier. Habit will always win. My workouts have become so second nature that they aren't any diffrent then sitting on my porch with a little AC/DC on.
                            LOL.

Keep the post right above you in mind and read your post. It is funny stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                              LOL.

Keep the post right above you in mind and read your post. It is funny stuff!
                              Hahahaha. We ned a "Best Of" forum for tactical gamer. That's classic!
                              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                                A variant I find much more intersting
                                Sexercise with a girlfriend I must say is truely the way to work out. :p

But can anyone find me a video of what Lusit. is talking about? I think I somewhat know what he means but am not really sure.
                                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X