X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El_Gringo_Grande
    started a topic Exercise

Exercise

I am getting old and, to see my kids reach maturity, I need to exercise.

The problem is that I find most of it so boring.

So I am looking for ideas for at least somewhat entertaining exercise that doesn't require specialized locations (eg rock climbing) or tons of equipment.

• 206 Wolfpack
    replied
    Re: Exercise

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
    How long are you holding that position?
    My bad thought I pressed enter when I guess I didnt awhile ago,

I can hold it for 3+ minutes... Some guys in after school weight training were doing it and tryed showing me proper technique also, just never got it though..

Leave a comment:

• Sarcoma
    replied

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering

Many schools and comunity programs do it without the running part. Its a load of fun with a good group and you learn to navigate. It will get you out of the house and that is better than sittin on the couch.

Sarcoma

Leave a comment:

• Skylark
    replied

Being too tired/lazy to read the 4 pages, I will just say i had the same problem. Most exercise was boring. So I started taking Tae Kwon Do. It has a very high "sweat factor" Lots of kicks and you really get a work out. Especially if you go to 2 classes in a row like I was doing for a while. It is fun, good exercise and you can beat people up!

Leave a comment:

• SharinganTH1422
    replied

There's a whole loada stuff to do. I do a spot of free running myself, although it's more like climbing up random stuff rather than running, but sometimes we have to run away from stuff too, and it helps to have some kind of knowledge of your limitations, like what jumps you can and can't make, how to land when jumping down, or how high you can jump, and how to make it over a high fence, or up to a window....anwywhooo...

I also do boxing, and for an older guy, I think it can be good. If you're not properly toned with weights and loads of resistance training and stuff, and if you're not the quickest/the lightest on your feet, then I wouldn't suggested something like kick-boxing, because you need high kicks, and kick and thai boxing are pretty extreme, whereas normal boxing is just hits to the head, and if you're just training, then they'll give you helmets mainly and say no face shots.

It's really not all about punching to the ace, and I've done a lot of running, and football (soccer), and boxing is by far the hardest in terms of cardio, because you're always moving, and if you're not, they'll take advantage and beat you silly. Obviously you can get guys to go easy on you too, and they will if the know you're new anyway (unless it's a messed up gym). Also, there's much less actual fighting, and ,much more practice on techniques and getting them right. You can practice this at home too, just buying a punch bag or something, or having a nice bit of hollow wall you don't care about damaging, and other little things, like you can just stand in front of a mirror for about 5 minutes at home, get like 2 Kg weights in each hand and just box, use the things you've learnt about technique to make sure you're doing it right, and the weights make your punches faster. At a decent gym they'll give you loads of different little exercises you can try out to keep yourself in shape, and at the end of the day, you're learning how to beat the crap out of people, which is useful...

Paintballing is fun, but you can try airsoft or something like that if you don't want to spend as much money.

A sport like that raquetball thing sounds good, although badminton is a very showy sport. If you're decent at badminton, you'll know some very impressive party pieces, and I knew some guy that did it, he was awesome, and ended up playing for England at youth level.

Just on running, weights and resistance training and stuff, I didn't have huge joy doing these things, but I did enjoy a couple of aspects. Firstly, it's nice to feel like you're doing something that will improve your fitness. Keeping fit helps you in pretty much all aspects of life, there's not really any downside, and this is good to know. Secondly, I preferred seeing the results afterwards than the exercises themselves. It's great you want to turn a new leaf, and especially for your kids, but the satisfaction of going for a run or something like that should come out of knowing that you're reaching that goal. yes, in an ideal world there would be something interesting, cheap, easy and accessible that can keep you properly fit, but there isn't. Just try stuff and see what you can bare doing.

Also, the physical challenge is a nice challenge to have, pushing yourself so you can go further, and trying to get better. I'm just a standard brawling boxer, but one of my good friends is more of a finesse fighter, he does proper martial arts, and has done for about 10 years now, and he said that one of the hardest, and most useful skills for his martial arts is breathing. Controlling your breathing is extremely important and complicated, mainly because, as you said, it's hard to focus utterly on something that seems so easy and basic, and to know what you need to do with it, there's much more to it than panting and putting your hands on your knees...don't underestimate breathing man ;). And another thing. It can be pretty nice to just run to keep your mind off things.

P.S. I find a pair of headphones can turn a dreary run into that part in Rocky 2 where he's running ;).

Leave a comment:

• Razcsak
    replied

How long are you holding that position?

Leave a comment:

• 206 Wolfpack
    replied

Yea thought so, that is what ive been trying the entire time, just not getting the tension and that one workout feeling thats kinda hard to describe..

Leave a comment:

• Razcsak
    replied

Yes. Here is a somewhat acceptable picture, though their backs really should be straighter.

Another
    A third, again with the curved back, but I suspect that's largely a function of the female hip structure compared to males'.

Leave a comment:

• ScratchMonkey
    replied

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
    Orienteering sounds like fun. We did some of that in my webelo days. But we didn't run so I guess it wasn't, technically, orienteering. The main problem is I doubt there is much of it going on in central Oklahoma.
    That reminds me: I saw a comic on Comedy Central this week who observed that hiking is when you walk where you're allowed to pee. Old people accidentally hike sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• 206 Wolfpack
    replied

Originally posted by Switch View Post
    There are plenty of instructive sexersize videos online
    Yea I believe you call that hardcore,

But so you want your arms somewhat shoulder width apart (?) with your elbows bent 90 so your fingers are somewhat parallel with your face, and when you lift your body your elbows should be at somewhat at a 45 angle?

I know the feeling of the strong resistance and all personally love it for working out without freeweights but cant really seem to find it for this excercise.

Leave a comment:

• Switch
    replied

There are plenty of instructive sexersize videos online

Leave a comment:

• Razcsak
    replied

That picture (not the sex one :p) is pretty much it. There's no movement unless you do the variation I mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• 206 Wolfpack
    replied

Originally posted by Switch View Post
    A variant I find much more intersting
    Sexercise with a girlfriend I must say is truely the way to work out. :p

But can anyone find me a video of what Lusit. is talking about? I think I somewhat know what he means but am not really sure.

Leave a comment:

• Rincewind
    replied

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
    LOL.

Keep the post right above you in mind and read your post. It is funny stuff!
    Hahahaha. We ned a "Best Of" forum for tactical gamer. That's classic!

Leave a comment:

• El_Gringo_Grande
    replied

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
    This is what worked for me. Set a specific time for your exercise every other day or 4 times a week at 6 o'clock or whatever. Do your exercise at those times whether you want to or not. Do not push yourself to do more then you are comfortable with. Forget the macho no pain no gain philosophy. Your workouts will gradually pick up momentum as your muscles get stronger. If you push yourself you will have a negative feeling about the experience and it will become much harder. It doesn't matter how much you do as long as you are consistently doing it and have a goal of becoming healthier. Habit will always win. My workouts have become so second nature that they aren't any diffrent then sitting on my porch with a little AC/DC on.
    LOL.

Keep the post right above you in mind and read your post. It is funny stuff!

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X