Mountain Bikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Bikes

My exercise thread got me thinking about what I have liked in the past.

The only thing I have actually looked forward to doing was riding.

I used to own a Rockhopper by specialized. I lost it someplace, probably when I moved. But for me it was a really good bike. Handled ok both on the street and moderate trails.

I see they still make them so, if I can't find any other exercise alternative I am going to bite the bullet, put off my new TV purchase and get one.

But I am sure that the art of Mountain Bikes have improved dramatically since I bought my Rockhopper back in 1990.

Are there any bikes fellow TGers recommend me give a test ride? It will be about 50% paved, 30% decent dirt and the rest, if I am lucky, easy to moderate trails. Nothing hard core. And I would like to keep the cost in the $600-$900 range.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Moutain Bikes

I used to ride a mountaon bike, but found it was overkill for what i was riding. So I ride this comfort bike now. It does mostly street and light trails. It has slick cop tires on it right now. I have to get some little nobbies.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...le/1277/29341/

Comment

Re: Moutain Bikes

The best bike I've ever owned was a Giant, so I'll second the motion for you to check them out...

Someone here works there, too, so you might want to do some digging and see if you can get hooked up with a deal!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Re: Mountain Bikes

I have a Cannondale hybrid that I absolutely love. Great for pulling the kids around in their trailer.

Even with my extra weight I found it hard to keep up with my friend and his road bike so I upgraded to a Cannondale Synapse , it my be out of the price range you are looking at, but I highly recommend a full road bike if you don't think you are going to get off of the road. I thought I was going to be doing a little off road with my hybrid, but I never took it off of the road.
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Lot has changed in bikes since your last one. Lots of major players that used to have good bikes have sold out and gone main stream, like Mongoose. They sale those now at like target and wall-mart and places. And they went way down in quality to meet the lower price needs.

Giant is still really good though. I would go to the book store and look though a couple of bike mags. like Mountain Biker, or look on their web site, for review of some of the bikes in your $$$ range. And then ride them before buying.

Before I bought mine, I was all about Cannondale, cause they are supposed to be really good bikes, get good reviews etc. But I rode a few, and it just felt weird and didn't fit right. Tried a Gary Fisher, and it felt better, and finally tried a Mongoose (this was when they still had good bikes) and it felt much better. Don't know what it was. But a good bike shop will let you ride as much as you want on a test bike before you buy.

Also, since you say you are going mostly on hard pack, you might want to check out tires like these:
          http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...&tn=0&ssn=5160

Lot of different ones like that, just showing that it is like a hybrid, so you have kind of slick for street, but knobby on the side when you need it. Supposed to help cut down on friction or something and make street riding much better/easier.
          I have always meant to try some, but had a friend that loved them and was all he used. And he used his bike more than his car, riding to work, the store, etc., so he knew his tires.

Also, try to buy from a place that offers free tune-ups. That way, you can keep you bike in shape till you learn all the fine tuning stuff.
          And if your bike doesn't come with it, buy some bar ends. I love mine once I started using them. When riding on street, it lets you sit up straiter and more comfortable.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

/\ /\ /\
            Those are the tires I have. They don't do squat in mud, sand or even wet gravel. I have become the fishtail master.

Comment

Good points Bamboo.

That is why I picked the Rockhopper the first time around. It "felt" the best. But that was when I was 22. I better check out some others.

I have heard good things about giant.

Anybody have experiance with Treck or Diamondback?
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I heard Diamondback went mainstream like Mongoose, but not for sure.

Trek used to make some really good stuff, but I haven't been looking at new bikes in a while. They are probably still good though.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X