Yes, that was an earthquake...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, that was an earthquake...

...this morning in Illinois! Pretty nutso, if you ask me. Started down in West Salem, IL, which is about 140mi southeast of where I am in Champaign-Urbana. It was only a 5.2, but I've heard that it was rattling skyscrapers in Chicago, and felt as far away as Georgia.

I woke up as soon as it started and knew instantly what it was despite only ever having felt one before (and just a bare tremor, at that). I think my exact words were, "wtf, an earthquake!? This ain't right!" It was quite loud, definitely an interesting experience.

So no, if you were thinking it was a dream or the beans you had last night, it was definitely an earthquake. :P
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Yes, that was an earthquake...

Fun times :)
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Lol, I was playing 2142 about half an hour ago, and a guy in my squad suddenly said "Sweet, I'm having an earthquake!"
      I asked him if he was serious, he said it was an aftershock.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

My wife felt that this morning, we live just about 20 miles west of Indianapolis
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

We felt that here in T.O.

GG Earth o_O

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Comment

I'm in ohio and we learned about this in science. Just so happens we were studying seismic activities. :D
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Glad everyone is OK. Living in earthquake country I would not wish them on my worst enemy. Reality comes pretty quickly when you can feel the building your in move back and forth. I've felt a few here in CA and you don't forget the feeling. I've heard quite a few stories of the big NorthRidge quake back in the 90's. Former co-worker of mine was living in Santa Barbara at the time and when the quake hit he said his wooden floor was moving up and down like piano keys.
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
              - Check me out on The Onion
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I didn't feel it, but woke up at 5:40am and didn't know why until later in the day. Seems it was felt here in southern Ohio also.
                |TG-6th|FYAH29
                "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                  Fun times :)
                  OR END OF TIMES!!
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

LOL...Its all fun untill stuff starts falling off the walls. My wife is from NY and she HATES even the smallest quake.

Sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                      Glad everyone is OK. Living in earthquake country I would not wish them on my worst enemy. Reality comes pretty quickly when you can feel the building your in move back and forth. I've felt a few here in CA and you don't forget the feeling. I've heard quite a few stories of the big NorthRidge quake back in the 90's. Former co-worker of mine was living in Santa Barbara at the time and when the quake hit he said his wooden floor was moving up and down like piano keys.
                      Having lived here in Southern California (L.A. until I was 8, and then moved 60 miles south-east, to the valley) my whole life, and been through numerous earthquakes, its actually quite normal to be rather nonchalant about earthquakes in general. And this is typically the norm in the attitude in people who have lived here for over a decade or so. It's not too common that I see a reaction like that from someone who's lived in the area for an extended period of time.
                      Focused

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire View Post
                        Having lived here in Southern California (L.A. until I was 8, and then moved 60 miles south-east, to the valley) my whole life, and been through numerous earthquakes, its actually quite normal to be rather nonchalant about earthquakes in general. And this is typically the norm in the attitude in people who have lived here for over a decade or so. It's not too common that I see a reaction like that from someone who's lived in the area for an extended period of time.
                        I dunno. I have lived here for close to 14 years. Perhaps, your right, growing up and moving from GA has made me a bit less nonchalant. Though, I thinks that's part of the problem here in CA. Pardon the pun but LA is under prepared for a major earthquake and it's going to be a disaster if one hits of the sized predicated. CA city and state government is simply under prepared and a bit naive in my opinion.
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                        - Check me out on The Onion
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I live in WV and was woken up at about that time. So maybe I felt it, I am not sure I know I just sleepily lit a cigarette and went back to sleep, lol.

Comment

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...egion=Illinois

(I have the equivalent link for California bookmarked, so I can quickly get the map data when my desk rocks.)

http://mae.ce.uiuc.edu/

Boston is well-overdue for a nasty quake. There was a big one there in colonial times. The Mississippi river delta is another dangerous spot, as that fault can rip out dams and cause widespread flooding.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

We get them all the time here in Bogota. Heh, I'm not a big fan of the feeling that my apartment building is about to turn horizontal. Like being on a ship.
                              War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
                              - John Stuart Mill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X