How Smart Are You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Smart Are You?

I'm going with Crap. If I recall correctly, ostriches, however, do micturate upon themselves for cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      can tell me how to edit the post on the 1st page with the scoreboard. I can't believe you only have a few hours to edit a post.
      Next up:

Fact or Crap

To cool themselves, turkey vultures poop on their own legs.
      And remember to give details.......
      False. I believe they urinate on their legs to cool them down. (That may be another bird though)

I think you have 12 hours to edit your post from when you first posted it. Otherwise you have to be a forum moderator, they can edit anyones post at any time (I think).
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

True. Definitely true. Have you ever smelled a vulture? They smell absolutely horrid, and I believe this may be partly why.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Still looking for something a little different.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I just found a linkie :)

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/naturescience/vultures.htm

Originally posted by Big Bend National Park Website
            Seen up close, neither the turkey nor the black vulture inspire words of praise. Both have un-feathered heads, the adult turkey vulture displaying the characteristic red-skinned head, while the black vulture has a wrinkled, black-skinned head. Both have long bare legs, often discolored by their habit of defecating on themselves for cooling. The talons are weak and the hind toe small and nonfunctional. Because the talons are almost useless for defense, both will, if threatened while nesting or roosting, either fall over and play dead, or vomit. Anyone who has had the misfortune to hit a vulture while driving can attest to the extremely foul odor of the vomit that is rendered in a final act of defiance.
            And another link

http://www.ohio4h.org/~news/story.php?id=119
            It's called Urohydrosis and it's more of a mixture of feces and urine. It's a mix as they don't have a seperate urinary tract. As it evaporates, it cools the bird. Since birds don't sweat, the buzzards partially rely on this method for cooling. The uric acid also comes in handy for killing parasites from whatever garbage they've been eating.

Comment

damn
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                Do I get a point for pointing out that it's actually spelled 'whether'? ;)
                Read "The Phantom Tollbooth". (I recommend avoiding the movie.) It's very Alice-in-Wonderland-like. One of the first characters Milo, the protaganist, meets, is the Whether Man. He can't tell you what the weather will be, but he can tell you whether there will be any.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Tollbooth
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

A BIG +1 to War.mongeR1 for getting that one and all the juicy details. Bravo!

Scoreboard
                  Acreo Aeneas +2
                  MagnaCentipede +2
                  War.mongeR1 +2
                  thegreatnardini +1
                  dave m +1

Here's another:

Fact or Crap (true/false)

A man once walked across the Atlantic Ocean on skis.
                  And as always, details required.............................

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                    Read "The Phantom Tollbooth". (I recommend avoiding the movie.) It's very Alice-in-Wonderland-like. One of the first characters Milo, the protaganist, meets, is the Whether Man. He can't tell you what the weather will be, but he can tell you whether there will be any.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_Tollbooth
                    Oh man! I LOVED that book when I was a kid. Thanks for reminding me about it. You and I were probably some of the very rare children who used words like dodecahedron and din. That book seriously expanded my vocabulary. Quite a witty book with great word play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      Fact or Crap (true/false)

A man once walked across the Atlantic Ocean on skis.
                      And as always, details required.............................
                      Wow. Apparently so! Remy Brika did it.

http://torkzadeh.com/node/221

For 40 days in 1988, he walked across the Atlantic Ocean from the Canary Islands to Trinidad. That feat landed him in the Guinness Book of World Records for longest distance walked across water, 3,502 miles.

Comment

Another +1 for War.mongeR1

Scoreboard

War.mongeR1 +3

Acreo Aeneas +2
                        MagnaCentipede +2

thegreatnardini +1
                        dave m +1

Ok, here is one for you geo buffs.
                        Fact or Crap
                        Outside of Asia, the highest mountain in the world is Mt. McKinley.

And I will give a bonus point to the 1st person that can link me to what ever mountain it is in google maps (So a nice zoomed in map of Mt. McKinley if it is the highest mountain.)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Crap. Denali is the tallest in North America, but it's not the tallest in the non-Asian world. It's something like Aconcagua, near Santiago Chilé.
                          http://maps.google.com/maps?q=chile&...855469&t=h&z=8

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            Oh man! I LOVED that book when I was a kid. Thanks for reminding me about it. You and I were probably some of the very rare children who used words like dodecahedron and din. That book seriously expanded my vocabulary. Quite a witty book with great word play.
                            It took me awhile to get my mouth around pronouncing dodecahedron.

I need to go back and read that again. My copy was quite dog-eared, but I haven't seen it in quite some time.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It is, in fact Aconcagua, in Argentina/Chile (straddles both). Evidence here:
                              http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the...-mountains.htm

Comment

Wouldnt let me edit the post, so heres the maps:
                                Exact Google Maps:
                                Terrain Map
                                Satellite Map

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X