How Smart Are You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Smart Are You?

Good job MagnaCentipede. +2 since you got the right mountain and the google map.
    And Ferris came a close 2nd. Ferris's Sat map link is awesome looking if you zoom 1 level out. Would make a great wallpaper.

For the record, Aconcagua is 22,831, and Mt. McKinley is 20,320.

Scoreboard

MagnaCentipede +4

War.mongeR1 +3

Acreo Aeneas +2

thegreatnardini +1
    dave m +1

Next up:

This may be a tough one for some..................
    Find a five-digit number in which the first digit is two less than the second digit, the third digit is four more than the first digit, the fourth digit is the sum of the first three digits and the last digit is five less than the fourth digit.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Where ƒ is the first digit.
      ƒ, ƒ+2, ƒ+4, 3ƒ+6, 3ƒ+6–5
      When ƒ = 1,
      1, 3, 5, 9, 4.

13594. 0 would work if 02461 counted as five-digit instead of four.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
        Where is the first digit.
        , +2, +4, 3+6, 3+65
        When = 1,
        1, 3, 5, 9, 4.

13594. 0 would work if 02461 counted as five-digit instead of four.
        Smart man. I didn't even think about plugging this problem into simple algebra.

*Slaps hand against forehead.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Nice job MagnaCentipede. Someone payed attention in class.
          Better watch out guys, MagnaCentipede is pulling out into the lead.

Scoreboard

MagnaCentipede +5

War.mongeR1 +3

Acreo Aeneas +2

thegreatnardini +1
          dave m +1

How about a fun easy Fact or Crap (True/False) for everyone. Hope Ferris gets this one right :D
          And of course, I want details...............

Blondes have more hair than redheads do. Fact or Crap?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Fact

99 % of Blondes arent real blondes anyways..... and no I dont have anything to back that up ;)

Comment

Fact. Blonde hair is more common than red, so naturally there is more blonde hair than there is red hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post

Blondes have more hair than redheads do. Fact or Crap?

Crap. How light or dark your hair is, is determined by the amount of eumelanin present. The redness of your hair is determined by the amount of pheomelanin present (someone with jet black hair might still have red highlights). The color of the hair has nothing to do with the amount of hair, although there may be other genetic trends...

(And although I knew this concept, yes, I had to google the names of those melanins...)
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Fact

Blond hair

Main article: Blond
                  Blond hair is a relatively rare human phenotype, occurring in 1.7 to 2% of the world population with the majority of natural blondes being white.

Blond hair is genetically associated with lighter eye color such as blue, green, or light brown and with pale, often freckled, skin tones. It ranges from nearly white (platinum blond, tow-haired) to a dark golden blonde. Strawberry blond is a rare type: a mixture of blond and red hair. Blondness is a recessive gene. Blond hair has more phaeomelanin than eumelanin but has less than red hair. Natural blondes have the thinnest strand of hair but have more hair on their heads than others, with an average of 140,000 hairs.

Red hair

Main article: Red hair
                  Red hair is the least common hair color in the United States and in the world; around two percent of the U.S. population has red hair. It ranges from vivid strawberry shades to deep auburn and burgundy, and is found mainly in white people.

Red hair is caused by a mutation of the Mc1r gene and is believed to be recessive. It is genetically associated with lighter eye color, and pale skin tone. Red hair has the highest amounts of phaeomelanin and the lowest of eumelanin. Natural redheads have the thickest strands of hair and the lowest number of strands at 90,000.

some of my sources.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_hair_...air_on_average
                  http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...AAKcGp7&show=7
                  http://www.cookingtlc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12354

Comment

I thought this was "how smart are you," not "how good are you at Google and Copypaste."

Comment

Originally posted by Ristin View Post
                      Fact

Blond hair

Main article: Blond
                      Blond hair is a relatively rare human phenotype, occurring in 1.7 to 2% of the world population with the majority of natural blondes being white.

Blond hair is genetically associated with lighter eye color such as blue, green, or light brown and with pale, often freckled, skin tones. It ranges from nearly white (platinum blond, tow-haired) to a dark golden blonde. Strawberry blond is a rare type: a mixture of blond and red hair. Blondness is a recessive gene. Blond hair has more phaeomelanin than eumelanin but has less than red hair. Natural blondes have the thinnest strand of hair but have more hair on their heads than others, with an average of 140,000 hairs.

Red hair

Main article: Red hair
                      Red hair is the least common hair color in the United States and in the world; around two percent of the U.S. population has red hair. It ranges from vivid strawberry shades to deep auburn and burgundy, and is found mainly in white people.

Red hair is caused by a mutation of the Mc1r gene and is believed to be recessive. It is genetically associated with lighter eye color, and pale skin tone. Red hair has the highest amounts of phaeomelanin and the lowest of eumelanin. Natural redheads have the thickest strands of hair and the lowest number of strands at 90,000.

some of my sources.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_hair_...air_on_average
                      http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...AAKcGp7&show=7
                      http://www.cookingtlc.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12354
                      I think that as a practical matter, you're right. That's why I threw in that comment about "other genetic trends". But the articles you quoted imply an incorrect understanding of eumelanin and pheomelanin. The two melanins are independent of each other. I think that your articles are assuming that "a redhead" is your classic ginger, with pale skin, freckles and carrot colored hair, when, in fact, there are many more redheads besides those.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

My man Ristin comes through with the exact numbers I was looking for. Also of note, black hair averages around 107,000, and brunettes about 110,000.

Scoreboard

MagnaCentipede +5

War.mongeR1 +3

Acreo Aeneas +2

thegreatnardini +1
                        dave m +1
                        Ristin +1

Will post another question before I crash for the night.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Magna don't be hatin on my search skills :P

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post

I thought this was "how smart are you," not "how good are you at Google and Copypaste."
                            Heh... If you're smart, you'll find the answer to questions that concern you!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I've got blond hair. And thinning. A lot. As do my brothers.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Here's a new one for you.....................................

An odd question is coiled in the grid below. To spell it out, start with the “A” in the upper right corner and move to an adjacent letter in any direction. All the letters will be used exactly once. Hint: The enumeration is (3 1 4 6 3 1 3 6 9 ?).
                                What is the odd question? (write it out)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X