IP Banning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Banning

This may seem weird, but I have a problem with people getting around IP bans.

How can this person bypass their ban?

You might be curious about why I ask, but that is for another post.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: IP Banning

Most ISPs have dynamically assigned IPs?

What do you mean "getting around the ban"? The same ban isn't actually banning the IP address? Or the person is coming back with a new IP address?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

google proxy servers and you can just log in thru on of those. Apophis is your man to talk to about such things though.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Most ISPs have dynamically assigned IPs?

What do you mean "getting around the ban"? The same ban isn't actually banning the IP address? Or the person is coming back with a new IP address?
        Ok, I have a problem with a person who is banned at a site. I and other staff have banned his accounts and their IPs, yet he still comes back.

I am ultimately interested in finding an easy and simple way to stop him from making new accounts.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Some ISPs assign IPs arbitrarily, others will keep your account on a specific IP until you ask for a change.

IP ban evasion is usually treated by banning a wider range of IPs, often blocking people in the neighborhood, too. Proxies can hide an IP, but places who face a lot of people trying to proxy usually find their proxy was banned by someone else trying to dodge.

Finally, there might be a way to simply bypass whatever is supposed to impose the ban. Use a larger banhammer.

Comment

I agree that most ISP assign dynamic IPs to users. With some ISPs they have a 30 "lease" that after that period it can either be renewed or released. I have actually seen one service give you a new IP every time your computer/modem is turned off. The ISPs I dealt with said they do this on purpose to avoid people from setting up server with a Static (permanent) IP, that is a extra service charge. As a user you can simply use the ipconfig command (DOS FTW!) and it will give you a new IP address. Usually the subnet mask stays the same, so something like the last two sets of number are the only thing changing. So that is why you block a range.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
              Ok, I have a problem with a person who is banned at a site. I and other staff have banned his accounts and their IPs, yet he still comes back.

I am ultimately interested in finding an easy and simple way to stop him from making new accounts.
              You didn't answer my question. Does he somehow come back with the same IP, or with a new one?
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Sorry, he comes back with a new IP.

His email is the only thing that connects the accounts.

Comment

Are all of the IPs that he has used within a small range? I assume that you're unable to ban email addresses?
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Depending on the IPs, widen the range of the ones covered. If that doesn't work, contact his ISP. On another forum I admin, we had one smurf keep coming back. He's since stopped after we informed his ISP that he was using their internet services for online harassment. Presumably, they took care of it.
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

manually approve accounts for a few weeks.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Ok, I did some research.

I can ban his email, but it should be noted that there are multiple email addresses.

His IP range can go from anything near 71.53.211.42 to 208.119.81.82... I guess that is wide.

I can ban his name.

At the moment we are using the hands on approach of manually adding members.

Right now, I do not think contacting his ISP is necessary .

I have found that he has been using these multiple IPs to set up multiple validating accounts. Quite an active little troll.

What about contacting iPBFree about his behavior? iPBFree, as far as I know, ultimately owns the different boards we help.

This is him recently....
                        Muc S
                        72.197.216.56 25th March 2008 - 09:00 PM
                        64.73.237.110 13th April 2008 - 11:15 PM
                        72.197.217.74 3rd March 2008 - 06:19 PM
                        72.197.211.177 8th April 2008 - 08:43 PM

Comment

You should look into compiling screencaps of posts/writing from the person, IPs used for harassment, and other pertinent information. Contact his ISP.

If he's under the age of 18, you could always look into getting his personal information through another source and contacting his parents. Without more information on what the troll is doing and where he's doing it: there's not much other info we can give you.

Trolls generally tend to lose interest quick though.

Comment

ok

Comment

Theres always the good old lie tactic as well. You could simply tell him you've reported him to his ISP and been assured that they will be taking action and your next step is to alert the authorities and file a legal harassment charge. That might make him go away.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X