What do you read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you read?

I know Rincewind has taste because of his name, but...
    What do YOU read?

I love Terry Pratchett (has symptoms of alzheimers wich is sad but could make his books even stranger)
    Robert Asprin (I think that's his name)
    John Grisham
    Dean Koontz
    etc etc

I'm reading 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' by the WWII Ace Gregory "Pappy" Boyington right now and it's great stuff.

Re: What do you read?

Tom Clancy books are often good, especially Red Storm Rising. Very good if you're a World in Conflict player.
    The Hungry Cities Chronicles (Mortal Engines, Predators Gold, Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain) by Phillip Reeve are also very good.
    The CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore are very nice to read, although they are probably a bit young for most people here (I think they're aimed at 12-17 year olds).
    The Boy Soldier series by Andy McNab is excellent, I highly reccomend them (I highly reccomend all the books in this post though!).
    8 Lives Down is great, it's by Chris Hunter. I think that most PR players would like that one.
    Last edited by westyfield; 05-03-2008, 07:16 AM. Reason: added [i]'s in
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Tom Clancy writes some great stuff. I'll have to check the others out, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I have a very odd (read: eclectic) taste in books. I read a lot cause of the downtime I have at work, so my collection is in the thousands. I've actually spent more on books in my lifetime than on cars (if my math is correct). As far as some of my favorite works goes:
        • Robert Heinlein - Time Enough For Love, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Friday, I Will Fear No Evil, The Green Hills Of Earth, Requiem, etc. I've read ALL of his books.
        • Cormac McCarthy - All The Pretty Horses, No Country For Old Men (thats right kids, it was a book first)
        • Joe Haldeman - The Forever War
        • Pretty much anything by John Grisham, especially A Time To Kill, The Client and The Pelican Brief
        • Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five, Breakfast of Champions
        • Lots of Biographies, the latest being The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rockstar (Nikki Sixx) and Clapton: The Biography
        • The Collected Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes Books, for the uneducated)
        • Donna Tartt - The Secret History
        • Charles MacDonald - A Time For Trumpets
        • Anthony Cave Brown - Bodyguard Of Lies (I and II)
        • Miscellaneous plays, especially the Greeks and Shakespeare
        • John Irving - A Prayer For Owen Meany
        • Tom Clancy - He's a hell of a writer, but my favorite is definitely Without Remorse
        • Stephen Chbosky - Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Told you I read a lot. That's just whats on my top bookshelf, which is where I keep the books I re-read the most.

Comment

Timothy Zahn's 8 (9?) Star Wars Novels.
          Skud

Comment

John Ringo - high-tech tales from a Marine's viewpoint
            Eric Flint - same, from a union boss viewpoint
            Vernor Vinge - SF from a computer science professor
            L. Neil Smith - SF from a gunsmith
            David Weber - SF from a military role-playing gamer
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Whatever looks promising amongst the local college's book dump. Judging by the dump and the new arrivals rack, we need more crap about has-been and never-was politicians, race horses, and wild speculation about poker playing than we need books about electronics, Thomas Jefferson, the ramblings of Issac Asimov, or quantum physics before the string fools stuck their noodles into everything.

Comment

Pratchett and Gaiman are some of my favorites, though I'd say Pratchett more.
                Mario Acevedo has an interesting Vampire series, though probably nothing groundbreaking.
                I read Jumper about 2 days prior to the movie release, by Steven Gould, Then Reflex and Griffin's Story, before seeing the movie on opening day, which was a dissappointment.
                I am Anxiously awaiting "Final Watch" from Sergei Lukyanenko, which is the last book in the "Night Watch" series.
                Tolkien was good, until I attempted to read the Simarillion.
                I'm in the process of moving so all my books are in a box and my bookshelf is bare. Hopefully they can be put back soon!
                RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

One of my favorite books is 'The Practice Effect' by Robert Heinlein.
                  I can't wait to read 'The Heroin Diaries'. I read 'The Dirt' about Motley Crue and enjoyed the hell out of it.
                  I'm not familiar with Gaiman but if he's anything like Terry Pratchett I'm gonna have to make a trip to the local book store.

Comment

I'm currently reading Tom Clancy's Op-Center State of Siege. Its really good.

Comment

Harry Potter...

Seriously though, I am a Harry Potter fan, I read the first book when I was young and I just kept reading them.

To be honest, I'm not a book kind of guy though...
                      Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Douglas Adams - Everything Hitchhiker
                        George R. R. Martin - The Song of Fire and Ice series
                        Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time series
                        Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth series
                        Terry Brooks - Shanarra and Word series.
                        Stephen King -Gunslinger series, Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand.
                        Walter Jon Williams - Voice of the Whirlwind (great scifi reader).

Comment

If you like Adams, check out his Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul. Pretty funny read.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I own pretty much every "Goosebump" book there is...
                            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X