No announcement yet.

What have you given up to buy gasoline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you given up to buy gasoline?

With a $50.00 or more fillup, what are you giving up to buy gasoline?

Me not eating out as much as we used to.
    Not buying movie dvd's.
    etc.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: What have you given up to buy gasoline?

Nothing has changed for me, except I hear more people whining and I'm tired of it. I try to point out the difference in the price of, say, a gallon of milk, or a Whopper from BK, or a bottle of water, compared to the price of gasoline over the last ten years, but nobody listens...

Last year it cost me $40 to fill up, this year $50. <shrug> No big deal...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Not a damn thing. I ride a motorcycle which gets close to 80 miles per gallon. So unless gas shoots up to around 30 bucks a gallon, it probably wont hurt my wallet much.

Comment

I haven't given up anything. I don't like paying that much, but there is nothing I can really do about it.

I did modify which vehicle I drive to work. I have a Pilot and a Passat. Since I have a 50 mile commute to work each day, I simply take the better gas mileage Passat to work versus the SUV.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I hate driving, so I've always been "frugal" as a side effect, saving shopping trips until I must.

Lately (last couple years), I've been able to work from home a lot of days, and I've had to fill up less. I write software for robotics, but more the framework that ties it together for customers than the parts that make it move. My boss does the clever things to make it smooth and fast. So I'll churn out code at home and he'll test it for me on the actual hardware, and I may have to go in 1-2 days a week for hands-on stuff.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Nothing, as between my wife and I its a little more than $80.00 a week. One has to eat, put a roof a families head and pay the bills. One of those bills is Comcast and in the bill is Internet. I'll give up nothing I say. Nothing. Now I may have to get a second job as a bag boy at the local market but I'm sure we are all in the same boat to one degree or another...JJ

Bonus: Hotties shop...alot.

Comment

Well, I just went out and bought a diesel truck and then switched the gear ratios in it to get better MPG. The truck is an older model('86) and it had 4:10 gear ratio and I dropped it down to 3:08's which the truck originally got 18MPG loaded(4ton on trailer) or unloaded it didn't matter, now it is getting closer to 29MPG. Plus I have 33" tires which also increases the overall gear ratio making it higher still.
              Most people can modify their own vehicles gear ratios and get better fuel economy for about $400 depending on the vehicle of course and whether or not they have actual differentials to make this easier to do. A buddy of mine put larger tires on his front wheel drive vehicle to increase the ratio and he added a few MPG by doing so, larger tires increase the ratio which then keeps the RPM's down at highway speeds. This probably won't help city drivers cause it takes more power to get the larger tires to move or highway drivers that have a lot of hills but would help for people that drive flat or almost flat highway a lot. Just remember that increasing tire size also means you will need to get the speedometer re-calibrated to have the right speed readout and odometer readings.
              I had read about people modding their Toyota Prius's so much they are getting over 100MPG!!! Hyper milers or something like that they are called. They strip these cars down to just the bare essentials, removing seats mirrors, and any other part that may cause wind drag. They drift behind other vehicles so close that it is no way they could ever get stopped in an emergency situation and other techniques are used. Just surprising people will go that far.

Comment

I have an Isuzu Axiom that is supposed to get 19 and 25 mpg. I get 16.

30.00 worth of gas lasts me almost a month. Wal-mart and my bank are within 3 miles, and I go once a week. my work is 1/2 mile from home and I make 2 round trips a day.
                My 02 Axiom had 61000 miles on it in Dec. 06. I just rolled over 66,500

My wife has a dodge caravan and 30.00 lasts her 2 weeks. she drives 6 miles round trip three times a day.

Gas prices do not DIRECTLY affect us in any way. I know other costs are rising b/c of it, but we drive so little, there is no impact on us by the fluctuations.

When Katrina hit and prices spiked to 3.50 (from 2.25) we filled up both cars in the morning, then did not have to fill up again till prices were back down to 2.40 - 5 weeks later. We both worked in the same building then and drove the 8 miles one time a day... alternating cars to stretch it even further.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Nothing... I take public transportation for most needs. :D

BTW, saw gas in D.C. off of Rock Creek Parkway for $4.09 for regular driving my wife's car today... so I guess $4 dollar gas has officially hit the east coast.
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Nothing has changed for me, except I hear more people whining and I'm tired of it. I try to point out the difference in the price of, say, a gallon of milk, or a Whopper from BK, or a bottle of water, compared to the price of gasoline over the last ten years, but nobody listens...
                    Same

You pay far more for a Gallon of Coke or Snapple than Gas. deal with it, buy a bike. I paid $4.08/gal for a fill-up today and its still cheaper than milk.

sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

And gas has much higher energy density than Coke or milk. How does an internal combustion engine compare to the human leg for conversion efficiency?
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post

Last year it cost me $40 to fill up, this year $50. <shrug> No big deal...
                        But I don't use 50 gallons of milk a week!

I haven't given up anything. But I have cut back on my extra payments on my mortgage. That is where I put most my "extra" income. So I think this gas thing is going to cost me about 20,000 dollars over the next 25 years. That bites.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
                          You pay far more for a Gallon of Coke
                          I love Coke and I am very interested to know where to purchase these Gallons of Coke you speak of... Price is not an issue!!! ;)
                          Dizlor

Comment

I've been driving back and forth from Philadelphia and CT quite a bit. My Jeep gets about 17-18 mpg and it's killing my wallet, a one-way trip takes up about 3/4 of my tank, or about $40 worth of gas with the prices they are right now. I'm seriously considering buying a cheap motorcycle to use this summer to go back and forth from work and around town. Yeah I'll end up paying $400-500 for it but I'm sure by the end of the summer it will have paid for itself.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Nardini, if your credit is good, you can get a 250GZ or Rebel (250cc bike, cruiser style, top speed of about 80, close to 80mpg) brand new for around 30 dollars a month. They're 3100 bucks brand new and with financing it's insanely cheap to buy one. On my 250, I used to spend around 8 dollars a week on gas, and that was riding several hundred miles on pure leisure travel.

I dont know where in CT your parents live, so I way overshot and measured philly to providence, which is 275 miles, or about 6 bucks in gas on the bike. So a round trip would cost you 12 bucks. So basically what it amounts to is this: you take two trips in your jeep and it costs you 160 bucks. Even making the monthly payment on the bike, you could take 10 trips on the bike for LESS than it costs with the jeep. Plus, comprehensive coverage on a motorcycle is about 300 bucks a YEAR if you get a good rate.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X