Best President Ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best President Ever

Who do you think is the best president ever?
    I'm going with William Henry Harrison (Only guy to go one week in office)
    Only reason I picked him was because he didnt have the time to be bad therefore he was good.
    Me - I'll Just blame bush.
    Disciple - Bush? Is that some sort of slang for women? - Hahaha I love disciple.

btw Bush = worst president ever.

Re: Best President Ever

This is not easy. Gerald Ford went a very long way to bring healing to the country when it needed it most.

Reagan set the standard for all modern presidents, as well as bringing about the fall of communism in Germany and Russia.

Truman saved millions of lives on both sides of the war by using the A-bomb - and this is just one of hundreds of amazing and intergrity-based decisions.

Washington set the standard of the two year term when he could have stayed for life. (does anyone want THAT proposition nowadays?)

John Adams is responsible for creating the Navy, and securing the credit of a fledgling country with the rest of the world. (we would be British again without his efforts)

Lincoln gave aid to the south immediately after the war, helping to heal a very deep and painful wound in the country.

Jefferson bought most of America.

Teddy Roosevelt set the anti-trust standards by breaking up forty monopolies, as well as being responsible for the panama canal

Kennedy got us to the moon, and made us believe we could achieve anything we put our minds to

... but for the most part, each one of these also did things to hurt the country as well.

The problem with modern day Presidents is that the country is so closely split, that anyone taking office must be so moderate that they are practically neutered from doing anything great.

Reagan was the last president to stand for something. I believe that Bush has done some great things, though he will never get the credit for them that he deserves. Because of the war on terror, there has not been another stateside attack by muslim extreme-ists since 9-11, and he has dedicated significant resources (15 billion) to finding a cure for aids - the largest initiative ever for fighting a single disease (more than polio, small pox, the plague...)

I do not think we will ever have a president end his term with a 50% or beter approval rating. the world will place a huge emphasis on every mistake, and downplay every success, regardless of the truth of the matter.

In 4 years when McCain/Hillary/Obama has made things "worse," the 'change' that they promised will be the punchline for Jon Stewart and the rest of the political satire team.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Nice Ddogd.

I vote George Washington.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

I'd have to say George Washington as well. He was reluctant with accepting his position and as previously stated, put term limits into place. That was a truly brilliant idea that I believe kept us from going right back to another form of imperial rule. Abe Lincoln would be a very close second. Ddog's summary was fantastic, and I have the utmost respect for all of the Presidents that he listed. Maybe they did a bit of harm here and there, but their contributions were vast and greatly outweighed the bad.
        Last edited by War.mongeR1; 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'd heard that van Buren was very hands-off, which is what I seek in a President. Jefferson might have been a candidate but he went for heavy-handed management when he first got in and only corrected it later. In effect, my favorites will be those no one will ever know, because they stayed the hell out of the citizens' way.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Washington really didn't do anything in office except being the first president ever...so idk
            Disciple - Bush? Is that some sort of slang for women? - Hahaha I love disciple.

Comment

Washington deserves mention because he didn't try to grab power thus setting a standard.

Lincoln has to be my pick simply because he presided during the most difficult time in this countries history.

FDR likewise because of WWII.

Personally I have always liked Polk and Truman myself.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I will say Bush jr because he is the funniest and I dont have to pay his wages :row__577: :p
                Seriously though I would say Reagan just because he was so charismatic and seemingly kind spirited. Years afterwards I still would struggle to think of him in a bad light. He is the best in the length of my memory anyhow

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLvBUSJucg[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-p-Nuu8hYQ[/media]
                Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 05-15-2008, 07:00 AM.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Lincoln. Not only did he fill his staff with people who weren't just yes-men like modern politicians do, but he also kept his religious life extremely private. He also made the stovepipe hat cool.

Comment

I would have to put clinton on my list of top presidents. He pulled this country so far out of debt. And FDR because he held us together through WWII

Comment

Agreed, I liked Clinton. I was too young at the time to really CARE about politics, but looking back, what the Republicans did to smear everything he accomplished, and then looking at who they put into office and the things they let HIM do... well I lost all respect for THAT political party.

The GOP thinks that lying to your people to instigate two unwinnable wars, committing treason, granting political favors with absolutely no regard for the public, wasting trillions of dollars of taxpayer money, destroying our foreign relations, and teetering our country at the edge of complete financial collapse are all far better, more respectable accomplishments than getting your pole polished by your secretary.

And the worst thing is, people believe it.

Comment

President Ford, and I mean Harrison Ford from Air Force One, "Get off my plane!"

On a serious note, I'd have to say FDR. He dragged our country out of the Great Depression, got us mostly through WWII, and basically molded the United States into the superpower it is today.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                          The GOP thinks that lying to your people to instigate two unwinnable wars, committing treason, granting political favors with absolutely no regard for the public, wasting trillions of dollars of taxpayer money, destroying our foreign relations, and teetering our country at the edge of complete financial collapse are all far better, more respectable accomplishments than getting your pole polished by your secretary.

And the worst thing is, people believe it.
                          This thread isn't in the Sandbox. Let's keep the antagonistic comments out of General Discussion, please.

Feel free to start a similar thread in the Sandbox if you want, but let's try to keep this one positive.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Clinton totally was wiped out of my mind...FDR was good...but Abe is great. Washington did more before his presedency then after.

Comment

Stalin. He rescued the country from WWII, and punished those bad people who oppress the workers, and made the country into a superpower.

Kruschev. He got the first man into space.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X