Free credit reports?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free credit reports?

Anyone used freecreditreport.com? Or does anyone have a better place to go for a free credit report?

I recently found out that someone in Arizona used my social security number this year. I happened to be in Arizona when it was used, but I also have a SSN that was issued in AZ. Could be coincidence, but I doubt it. Either way, I've got some good law enforcement friends in Phoenix that are on standby to unleash the hounds of hell on the guy using my SSN, but I wanted to get my credit report first, just to see what's been done to my credit.

Any advice welcome. I was in the "it can't happen to me" category until a few days ago...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Free credit reports?

Yeah, I've used it twice before. It's not really free as you'll see, but you can cancel the credit monitoring service after you get your report. I don't remember if you have to specify that you want a "merged" report or not, but make sure that's what you get. That will have info from all three reporting bureaus as opposed to just one.
    New to TG?

Comment

you need a valid cc and you can only do it once a year or every three years or something.....
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I ended up going through Experian which was a similar offer...
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Experian is just one of the three credit reporting bureaus. You may not be seeing the whole picture if you don't get the merged three way report. Not all merchants report to all three agencies, so if you only pull experian you may not catch all the damage done.
          New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
            Experian is just one of the three credit reporting bureaus. You may not be seeing the whole picture if you don't get the merged three way report. Not all merchants report to all three agencies, so if you only pull experian you may not catch all the damage done.
            Yeah, a three-bureau report costs $35, though... I'm gonna wait until I see what Experian has before I shell out the bucks for the complete report. I just need enough info to get an investigation started. If the Experian report is enough for that, then I might be able to get the full report for free in the process of the investigation.
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I see said the blind man.
              New to TG?

Comment

I would recommend using a service that alerts whenever a new account gets opened, not one that just gives you an occasional credit report for free. I also recommend checking your credit at all 3 credit reporting companies at least once a year if not more (I do it at least twice a year). These things do cost money but sometimes it is alot better to spend 30 dollars a year than to have someone get ahold of your credit information and ruin your credit and cost you tons of money to get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                  I would recommend using a service that alerts whenever a new account gets opened, not one that just gives you an occasional credit report for free. I also recommend checking your credit at all 3 credit reporting companies at least once a year if not more (I do it at least twice a year). These things do cost money but sometimes it is alot better to spend 30 dollars a year than to have someone get ahold of your credit information and ruin your credit and cost you tons of money to get it fixed.
                  Well, the thing is, I've already done a good job of ruining my credit rating on my own. See, there was this young Lance Corporal in the Marines that found out that he could get just about any credit card he wanted. Department stores, electronics stores, Visa, MC, Discover... This young LCpl had nice clothes, a nice home theater system and always had beer in his fridge. 2 years and $17,000 later, he realizes that he had been a bit stupid. When the minimum monthly payments add up to over $1300 and you're only making $2100 a month and rent is $800 a month, it doesn't leave much left over for food for your family. Many, many slow payments and nonpayments ensued...

Anyway, my credit is just now starting to look OK again. Not good enough that I'm going to spend money on a credit monitering service, but hopefully good enough to buy a house next spring. I just want to clear things up by then. Once I own a home, everything's going to change. I think...
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X