Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probie schools in the DC / Virginia area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probie schools in the DC / Virginia area?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of our firefighters or anyone else knows of any firefighter training schools in the DC and north Virginia area.

Thanks
    |TG|Gabriel87
    Favorite quotes and sayings:

Teacher,” Tommy you got a fairy godmother.”
    Tommy,” No, but we got an uncle we keep a close eye on.”

*If anyone knows or has seen Markopilot please let him know that his gunner misses him and would like to talk to him agian. He knows me by Gabriel87.

Re: Probie schools in the DC / Virginia area?

I can't say about that area but maybe the folks at www.firehouse.com can help you out.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Well so far im enrolling for classes at University of Maryland University College. Id be majoring in fire science. So I guess now im looking for a place to live. So that would be a big help if anyone has any suggestions. I don’t need anything huge just a average apartment that’s live able. I've been looking around a little and so far all I’ve seen is dumps with bad reviews or apartments that are $1,000 or more a month.
      |TG|Gabriel87

*If anyone knows or has seen Markopilot please let him know that his gunner misses him and would like to talk to him agian. He knows me by Gabriel87.

Comment

I assume you're familiar with http://www.mfri.org/. They have several training locations in the state.

As far as a place to live, I lived in CP for several years in the 90's. You can probably find something there, but if you're limit is a grand, you may have to either, a) accept a dumpier area, or b) commute a fair distance. The hard fact is the areas around CP are expensive.
        "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
        EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
        PLAYSTATION®Network & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

well i have one i,m thinking about. Any opinions or help would be really helpful.
          http://www.heritage-park-apts.com/j/...fpid=JHLC1532E
          |TG|Gabriel87

Comment

Gabriel, I hate to break it to you, but as a DC veteran, it's one of the most expensive places in the country to live. You can live way outside town or up toward baltimore and take the MARC or bus to metro in, but thats about the only way you're going to find cheap housing that isnt the pits. If you're determined to find a place closer to where you'll be in school, find a roommate before you move in.

Comment

Don’t worry Ferris you’re not breaking anything for me. I live in a small town so I really don’t know that much about public transportation. Hell I had to google MARC just to figure out what it is. And as of right now I am willing to live about an hour away from the school. Unless there’s an apartment that would be worth the longer commute.

Edit: The college is in Adelphi, MD 20783 incase anyone is wondering
              Last edited by Gabriel87; 06-12-2008, 04:54 PM.
              |TG|Gabriel87

Comment

We’ll there is a second I’ve been considering but really haven’t looked into it to that much. It would be for search and rescue at TEEX https://teexweb.tamu.edu/usar/
                And I guess I would need to find out how much apartments cost at or around the College Station, TX area.
                Last edited by Gabriel87; 06-13-2008, 10:43 AM.
                |TG|Gabriel87

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel87 View Post
                  well i have one i,m thinking about. Any opinions or help would be really helpful.
                  http://www.heritage-park-apts.com/j/...fpid=JHLC1532E
                  Gabriel, I would say a big NEGATIVE to these apts. That is a very sketchy area right there. If you look at a map, I lived off of Metzerott Road very near 193 for a couple of years, I know that area.

IF you're looking for an apt, try White Oak area, there are a couple very big apt buildings there that may still be affordable and not totally sketchy. Also try around the UMD Campus, there's plenty of student housing off-campus that may be more affordable. You could also look for housing assistance at school - what I'm thinking is some sort of "bulletin board" of peeps looking for roommates/housemates to help with the renting of a house or apt.

A last option would be to look North, somewhere in the Laurel/Columbia area, it'll take a commute to get to school, but you may find better prices out that way.

HTH
                  "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
                  EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
                  PLAYSTATION®Network & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel87 View Post
                    We’ll there is a second I’ve been considering but really haven’t looked into it to that much. It would be for search and rescue at TEEX https://teexweb.tamu.edu/usar/
                    And I guess I would need to find out how much apartments cost at or around the College Station, TX area.
                    Oh, man, off the top of my head, I'd say that the cost of living in College Station would be close to half what it would be near the District.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Just moved from the N. Virgina area last week, and was paying $2,285 a month for a 2bd apt. It was in walking distance to the metro though, so we only had to have 1 car.
                      Anywhere around DC is EXPENSIVE, though I heard the closer to Baltimore you go, the cheaper.

Now I am in Southeast N.C., and am in walking distance of the beach. Now paying $1,100 but we are having to get a new car. Going to sign the papers in about an hour actually.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

yup, i have a friend who lives in walking distance to the metro in silver spring. 480 sq ft apartment for 1700/mo. I live in a 3000+ sq ft house in orlando and i pay 1350. DC is ridiculously expensive. I'd say look into the college station school.

Comment

I’ve been starting to look at apartment to get an idea of the costs in College Station. But I’m having a little trouble finding some of the basic things like average price of gas and food.
                          |TG|Gabriel87

Comment

Well it took a lot of time and a lot of thinking but I think I’ve finally got it. With the economy in such great shape (sarcasticly). And amount it would have been for the loan. I’m going in take my Firefighter 1 & 2, first responder and HAZMAT. Found out that our fire hall here has 2 volunteer positions open. If I get on that they’ll pay for all my training. The fire science degree will have to wait till later.

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.
                            If i ever get back online ill let you kill me for free. :D
                            Last edited by Gabriel87; 07-23-2008, 01:48 AM.
                            |TG|Gabriel87

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X