Father and Son DnD Actual-Play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father and Son DnD Actual-Play

This is a link to a thread that's making the rounds on the RPG gaming forums (all of em actually). It's an "actual-play" recount of a father introducing his 7-yr. old son to tabletop RPGs... DnD 4.0 to be exact.

Shadowfell with my 7-yr Old

Warning: reading this may tempt you to run out and either:
    a) buy DnD 4.0
    b) have a kid
    c) cry
    d) all of the above

After reading this I've been giving serious thought to taking my expansive gaming collection over to the local Boy's & Girl's club and starting a few campaigns with some children. (I have none of my own right now)

p.s.
    I do not play DnD, but I appreciated the thread
    Last edited by Gambit7; 06-10-2008, 01:59 PM.

Re: Father and Son DnD Actual-Play

I still don't get D&D...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      I still don't get D&D...
      What dont you get about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
        What dont you get about it?
        How that can possibly compare to reading a book or playing a video game in terms of fun. I mean, I know that lots of people enjoy it, I just don't see it. Perhaps it's because I never had friends that enjoyed it? I don't know, I just know that RPGs are boring as heck to me...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It's like live coop imagination. It's really hard to explain until youv'e done it with a good DM..and a good group... but it's pretty involved and engrossing.. (I rememeber by Dad introducing me to DnD when I was like in 7th grade or something when we did a Ravenloft module... I still have that one today..)

Good Write-up also.. Nice to see people are still playing... My Wife would make fun of me... so I can't get away with it.. GRR...
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

How that can possibly compare to reading a book or playing a video game in terms of fun.
            Hey Cing, think of it as writing the story of a book instead of reading it and being the game instead of just playing it. With the right people and proper preparation that is exactly what you are doing and that is what the fun is....

R.A Salvatore who is my favorite author actually played D&D and his group would actually take notes of their gaming sessions which spurred a lot of the content he has put in a lot of his books.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
              It's like live coop imagination. It's really hard to explain until youv'e done it with a good DM..and a good group... but it's pretty involved and engrossing.. (I rememeber by Dad introducing me to DnD when I was like in 7th grade or something when we did a Ravenloft module... I still have that one today..)

Good Write-up also.. Nice to see people are still playing... My Wife would make fun of me... so I can't get away with it.. GRR...
              Wow.. I remember Ravenloft.

My son (8) and I have similar exchanges routinely when playing D&DO. Been missing it a little lately, we haven't played too much in the last few weeks.

We have two comps set up for playing, and he has it on his Mom's computer so we can group up when he is staying there.
              sigpic

Comment

For those who don't play table top games I normally describe D&D as a group of friends sitting around a table cracking jokes, having a beer and otherwise just having fun.

~ Draken

Comment

How that can possibly compare to reading a book or playing a video game in terms of fun. I mean, I know that lots of people enjoy it, I just don't see it. Perhaps it's because I never had friends that enjoyed it? I don't know, I just know that RPGs are boring as heck to me...
                  Here are a list of reasons (that I have) for these types of games:
                  • The feel of pewter (or stainless steel) objects and pieces in your hand as you control, command, and conquer.
                  • It's turn-based strategy, but done in real time.
                  • The person(s) across from you. What's better than playing with a real live human being who happens to occupy the same space you do?
                  • When electronic strategy games don't cut the cake...
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was actually most intrigued by the fact that the Lego figures are the really old castle ones...

Comment

Never played DnD but I love RPGs like my Fav rpg of all time is Lunar Silver Star Story that game had the best story to it.
                      |TG| Plude220

Comment

I still don't get D&D...
                        A lot of the appeal comes in playing with people, and creating something together. Basically, you always know what you're going to do next, and a book will be the same every time you read it. In an RPG, you can never quite guess what the other people are going to do, why they do what they do, and how they might react to what you do. And you never know what devious, insane, or just out and out inventive thing your game master is going to pull on you next.

Plus, it's a great excuse to sit around and chat with friends with pizza and beer for a few hours.

Comment

I love DnD, I'm a little skeptical about 4th edition though. seems like they want to cater more to the diablo crowd. I've recently got into Rifts and man that is a great rpg.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

This has inspired me to go out and purchase the DnD 4th edition for me to run with my 7 year old :D
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

That kid is quite possibly the most adorable and awesome child I've heard about.
                              I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X