Solar power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar power

Hello, I live in Arizona an Im thinking about putting solar power in use in my house. Does any one have any info on solar power, and if any one is using solar power in their homes is it wort the money?

Re: Solar power

Hmmm, somebody posted some links that were supposed to contradict what I had recently read about residential solar power in one of our Sandbox discussion threads, but I didn't find the time to read them.

This would be a great thread to share information about solar power. I'm also looking at the possibility of combining solar with wind power to help out...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'd love to do this, but I've been trying to finish fixing up my bathroom for the last year and haven't finished. Putting up solar polars is about as likely for me as winning the peace prize.

But I'd appreciate any good information.
      "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
      Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
      " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Congress failed to renew the rebates on this, so check your calendar. Time is running out on those.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

My parents are looking into geothermal heat pump for heating their home in New England. The house, built in 1740, currently uses an oil furnace for heating. Old houses and oil heating are an expensive combination these days.

Arizona should receive enough constant sunlight to make solar power cost efficient and reliable, but I would still recommend looking at geothermal heat pumps just to give yourself another option when looking at pricing.

Comment

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co....asp?dept=1173

i cant find solar goods cheaper

also has cool other eletronics componets
            I will not place claymores in my front yard.
            I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Torres86 View Post
              Hello, I live in Arizona an Im thinking about putting solar power in use in my house. Does any one have any info on solar power, and if any one is using solar power in their homes is it wort the money?
              If you are doing this as a learning experience/experiment then brush up on your electronics. Start with a couple of panels and maybe dedicate one room of your house to the project.

Otherwise I suggest hiring a professional. The people I have known that where happy with their investment and continued to use it where those that paid the bucks for an engineers plan. This will make it much more reliable and easier to maintain and safer.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I've been looking around and I can't find a solar solution that will pay for itself in less than 20 years...
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  I've been looking around and I can't find a solar solution that will pay for itself in less than 20 years...
                  The price of solar energy doesn't go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                    The price of solar energy doesn't go up.
                    No, but $30,000 won't buy a solar system that will run my entire house (mostly due to having electric heating/cooling), but do you know how long I could pay my electric bill with that much money?
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      No, but $30,000 won't buy a solar system that will run my entire house (mostly due to having electric heating/cooling), but do you know how long I could pay my electric bill with that much money?
                      Solar energy all by itself is a very expensive proposal.

To really make it work you need a house designed to work with it. This includes using things like geothermal for the majority of heathing. Using passive heating and cooling. Having a heatwell possibly. It also means have energy effiecient appliances.

But I just added an upstairs bedroom and bathroom to my house and it cost about 32k. It will actually never pay for itself. Only thing I can hope is that somebody is willing to pay more for my house because of it.

Now if energy prices stay high it is a pretty good bet that a 30K solar system, if designed right, would add long term value to the house. Especially if you expanded it over time.

The biggest problem you face is your geographical location. Hot and humid is a big pain for cooling concerns. Hot all by itself can be handled.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        Now if energy prices stay high it is a pretty good bet that a 30K solar system, if designed right, would add long term value to the house. Especially if you expanded it over time.
                        But it would never pay for itself, so why do it? My desire to be green is certainly less than my desire to improve my household budget, and I think that is the case with most people.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Nice thread,

The Midwest Renewable Energy Fair is held, by chance, this weekend in Custer, Wisconsin and is the largest Energy Fair in the United States, by far.

If any of you have a real interest in Geo-thermal, Solar, Wind, Straw-bale construction, underground homes, SIPS Building, or the like, I strongly reccommend going, if not this year, next.

http://www.the-mrea.org/

http://www.the-mrea.org/energy_fair.php

Give a call to one of the companies like Lake Michigan Wind and Sun and get the latest facts.

http://www.windandsun.com/

Energy costs are going to go no where but up, up, up and, once you calculate this in, coupled with inflation and even weighing in other opportunity costs, the new solar, geothermal, and wind systems are looking like a much better investment all the time.

The wind machines we are installing on our land in Minnesota will have paid for themselves in 20 years and the life of the machines averages 30. So you have to have some vision and make a bit of investment (and in our case have some good steady wind) but it can be done. Many folks just are not willing to invest in something that they will not see the payoff of until twenty years have passed.

The numbers for solar energy are looking better every year too. Priviously you were right in thinking that it did not pay to do this, but what if your heating/cooling costs DOUBLE or TRIPLE?

Check the websites out and do some research.

Loraxe
                          sigpic
                          "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin
                          "Any country that would give up a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both." Ben Franklin

"There are more old drunkards than old doctors." Ben Franklin

Comment

What if you took the $30,000 and invested it. What would it yield in twenty years?
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Actually it might pay for it self, if you save enough energy and then have some left over you shoot energy back into the grid. The electric company will pay you because your electric meter will go backwards. But it is a very expensive investment.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X