Certified Financial Planner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Financial Planner

Has anyone used (or is using) a Certified Financial Planner? Specifically, a fee based one who is not vested in selling stocks or insurance? I need some general financial advice (IRA,401K,CD's) and need someone who has is somewhat objective and has the background to give it. The education/testing and licensing of a CFP from what I've researched seems extensive.
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: Certified Financial Planner

My CPA is also a CFP. I would suggest you look for someone local who is very familiar with CA law.
    New to TG?

Comment

No I don't.. I don't even know what that is XD
      I'll start googling it now

Comment

Dave Ramsey endorses local financial planners on his website: www.DaveRamsey.com

I've never needed any complicated advice, so couldn't tell you if they're worth it. If you've never listened to DaveRamsey, I'd recommend that to start off with. He might not cover your specific situation, but if you listen for a few days, you might find that you've learned enough that you don't need to pay for advice. You surely don't need to pay for advice for basic retirement planning...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Dave Ramsey endorses local financial planners on his website: www.DaveRamsey.com

I've never needed any complicated advice, so couldn't tell you if they're worth it. If you've never listened to DaveRamsey, I'd recommend that to start off with. He might not cover your specific situation, but if you listen for a few days, you might find that you've learned enough that you don't need to pay for advice. You surely don't need to pay for advice for basic retirement planning...
          I've listened to Rasmey, he's good. The whole idea of a CFP came about from the vast amount of information on investing that I feel it’s getting to the point of overload. In many ways investing is like gambling as there is no guarantee that you receive a positive return. However, I’m like most Americans who simply are under educated about investing and throw the preverbal dart at the board and hope for the best. There is only so much informed investment decision making that can be made from surfing the internet.

I’m of the opinion that it’s similar to other decisions that one could make about real estate, the law or medicine which can involve complex decisions and can really effect one’s future. We all can self educate ourselves about buying a home, how to handle a particular lawsuit, or how to take care of ourselves physically but ultimately it’s best to consult with someone who is an expert in their field.
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
          - Check me out on The Onion
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
            I've listened to Rasmey, he's good. The whole idea of a CFP came about from the vast amount of information on investing that I feel itís getting to the point of overload. In many ways investing is like gambling as there is no guarantee that you receive a positive return. However, Iím like most Americans who simply are under educated about investing and throw the preverbal dart at the board and hope for the best. There is only so much informed investment decision making that can be made from surfing the internet.

Iím of the opinion that itís similar to other decisions that one could make about real estate, the law or medicine which can involve complex decisions and can really effect oneís future. We all can self educate ourselves about buying a home, how to handle a particular lawsuit, or how to take care of ourselves physically but ultimately itís best to consult with someone who is an expert in their field.
            For some reason I always thought you where in your mid twenties.

But seeing that you are 40 I think it is a good idea to see one if you can find one you trust.

Financial planning, especially as you get to mid life, is both critical and complicated. There are wills, life insurance, 401k and IRAs. If there is a house and kids and college it gets even more tricky.

I am seeing one this year that is also a CPA. I have probably been overpaying on my taxes simply due to ignorance and not willing to take deductions that are perfectly fine. I am also, I am sure, not structuring my finances to minimize taxes and maximize gains.

Plus I find finances simply boring. I need to hire a person that finds it exciting and worthwhile.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X