Impulse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impulse

Stardock finally released their digital distribution platform today, Impulse.

Like Steam, you can download games you've bought whenever you want from any computer you're logged into. Unlike Steam, there is no built in copy protection (though most publishers will implement their own) so you aren't forced to have it running in the background all the time. (Which solves Steam's "offline mode" hassles)

It'll be good for Steam to finally have a good competitor. So far they've got Epic (Unreal), Dreamcatcher (Painkiller) Hothead (Penny Arcade) and their own Stardock games (Sins, GalCiv) on board, so it's a good start, but it's not Counter-Strike, they've got a ways to go to compete with Steam.

They're advertising one of the main draws to be that you can put in any CD key from a retail version and have it available to download (that it's a "platform" first and foremost, over being a store), unfortunately they don't have any publishers besides themselves on board with this yet. If they can pull this off, they'll be in a better position to put pressure on Steam.

(I'm bigger fan of Steam than most, but competition is always good, I want to keep seeing those $5 deals :D )

Here's a more in-depth overview.
    Last edited by Satertek; 06-18-2008, 09:08 AM.

Re: Impulse

Oh, I read a great article about this a few months back and I meant to start a thread about it. If this is even half as good as Steam, it should be absolutely awesome. Competition is good!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yep, the more digital-distribution outlets there are, the better it is for all of us.

Not a huge selection yet, but hopefully it will grow!
      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
      -- Red Forman

Comment

I havent checked it yet, but does it have the capability to download all manner of stardock products? They do make much much more than just games y'know! :D

Comment

Don't forget Gas Powered Games (Supreme Commander).

Steam's bollox simply for the DRM big-brother BS that you have to agree to when you buy anything over it.

Comment

My big complaint is that updates to games like GalCiv2 might only be available through Impulse (at least that is the current official line from Stardock). I object to having to install download services on principle, and have made an exception with Steam because I buy a lot of stuff from them, but I bristle at having to waste disk and registry space for a program I only need to update a game I already paid for (and have come to expect continued support for).
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
              Don't forget Gas Powered Games (Supreme Commander)
              Demigod is set to be an exclusive release on Impulse, but at the moment, they don't have any GPG games for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                Steam's bollox simply for the DRM big-brother BS that you have to agree to when you buy anything over it.
                What BS are you talking about? Steam is a delivery service that works wonderfully. It's designed so that you have to be signed in to Steam to play a game, but you can have Steam and your games installed on as many computers as you want! (but you can only be signed in once...)
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I'd have to agree on Steam, it takes very little system resources to run, works almost flawlessly these days, and has a HUGE library. Impulse is going to have to step it up to really compete. But it looks like a good start.
                  "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                  -- Red Forman

Comment

Originally posted by RedForman View Post
                    I'd have to agree on Steam, it takes very little system resources to run, works almost flawlessly these days, and has a HUGE library. Impulse is going to have to step it up to really compete. But it looks like a good start.
                    The massive advantage to Impulse is, you aren't locked down to anything. You have your game, you can burn it to a DVD, and never have to worry about the online service going down. The only other big services out there, EA's and Direct2Drive, are under even tighter control than Steam.

So if there's a good deal on Impulse, I don't have to think twice about any potential strings attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
                      You have your game, you can burn it to a DVD, and never have to worry about the online service going down.
                      Really? That's not what I read. They must've changed their plans...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        Really? That's not what I read. They must've changed their plans...
                        "Anti-DRM" has been their gameplan for awhile now, so nothing's changed.

There is no DRM in Impulse, so there is no need to "check-in" with it to reinstall like there is with Steam.

That would only change if a specific publisher chose to use their own online verification like SecuROM in one of their games.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
                          "Anti-DRM" has been their gameplan for awhile now, so nothing's changed.

There is no DRM in Impulse, so there is no need to "check-in" with it to reinstall like there is with Steam.
                          But, you can if you want, right? To me, that's a feature. I love the fact that I don't have to keep any discs for games anymore. I can reformat and then just reinstall Steam and tell it which games I want reinstalled. I read that I'll be able to do this with Impulse, too.
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            But, you can if you want, right? To me, that's a feature. I love the fact that I don't have to keep any discs for games anymore. I can reformat and then just reinstall Steam and tell it which games I want reinstalled. I read that I'll be able to do this with Impulse, too.
                            Yea, that too. I'm just saying you aren't required to do that like you are with Steam. You can redownload it as many times as you want from as many computers as you want, but you can also download it once, burn it to DVD and never worry about online authentication.

Comment

Well I love to see the competition and hope they keep at it...

Seems the way of the future for all digital media...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X