Buying A New Bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying A New Bike

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a starting motorcycle. I am looking for a sport bike cause nowadays gas prices are skyrocketing and so my next alternative is a bike. My parents dont want me getting a bike but im gonna be 18 in two months so I make my own decisions. So please if you can find me a motorcycle for with about 600cc's or even more then I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Buying A New Bike

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a starting motorcycle. I am looking for a sport bike cause nowadays gas prices are skyrocketing and so my next alternative is a bike. My parents dont want me getting a bike but im gonna be 18 in two months so I make my own decisions. So please if you can find me a motorcycle for with about 600cc's or even more then I would greatly appreciate it.
    I just got my first bike a couple of years ago and bought a Ducati Multistrada 620. Very easy to ride, excellent for commuting, and it gets me 50+ mpg.

Now, it isn't a sportsbike but it's a hell of a lot easier on my back as a result. lol

Bernout

P.S: You can't buy them new right now but I bet you could find a good used deal on one.

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Yeah im not a big fan of choppers and those "muscle bikes". I want a sport bike cause my friend has a GSX 600 R and he only needs around $25 to fill it up. Well I think ducatis are like the lambos of the motorcycle world if you know what I mean because of their prices LOL

Comment

I had a GSX-600R and loved it. I never wrecked it, but wouldn't suggest it for a first bike as it has gobs of speed. Honestly, I'd suggest a Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500. They're both quick enough, handle great on the twisties, and get crazy good gas mileage. Brand new, the 250 goes for $3499, the 500 is $5499. Actually a great looking bike too! My buddy had one and I thought it was a pretty fun bike to drive. You can pick a used one up for around $2k.
        http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=263
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Honestly, I would find anything to get some good riding experience first. Get some used bike(sport or otherwise) that you can afford that is in real excellent shape. I have rode sport bikes and prefer their handling compared to some other type of bikes. Don't get me wrong though, other types like cruisers can also be very easy to handle. My opinion your first bike should be easy to handle and maybe a little small so you can get use to it as well. Maybe somewhere in the 500cc range at the largest. Having a larger engine only means you will usually try to push it a little more(when your are young and first bike, been there a did that myself).
          Also, the larger the engine could also mean not as many MPG as what you may want but a small engine living in hilly country or doing a lot of interstate riding could use more gas. Finding the balance is important for getting MPG out of a bike. A smaller engine on the interstate will work a lot harder, meaning it may require more maintainance to keep it up.

What ever you decide, be safe. Look out for the other guy cause it is usually them not looking out for you.

War.mongeR1 those were the bikes I was actually thinking of in my head. They are good nikes and used ones are really cheap.

Comment

As soon as War Monge told me about the Ninja 250R ive been looking up reviews and top speed test and all that crap and i have to say it gives a good punch for such a small displacement and its good on gas

Comment

You should try to get this book:
              http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=...Mozilla-search
              It is the Idiots Guide to Motorcycles.
              Here you can look at a few pages, and read the back cover for more info.
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1592...tu#reader-link
              Great book for beginners. At the link you can get a used copy of the 3rd edition for like $2.
              It has a bunch of good lists of different bikes for beginners and why they are good.
              As many have said above, the best thing you can do for yourself is buy a cheap used bike that you don't mind laying down, because there is better than a 50/50 chance you will. Best thing to do is get a cheap training bike for like under $1,000. Ride that for a few months till you get good, then sell it and buy what you want.
              I have read many articles before that say if you ride regularly, it isn't a question of if you will lay your bike down, but when, because if you ride a lot, it is going to happen.

Also, you might want to consider the cost of insurance as well. It is going to be sky high for an 18 year old male, especially if your parents won't let it go on their insurance to keep you from getting one.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

But..... Im not a idiot :(

Comment

I started out with a Ninja 250. Loved it. You'll eventually get a feel for it and once u do, u'll wanna upgrade. I did to a Suzuki Katana 600. Not a full sport bike. It's a wee bit more comfortable. I'm trying to buy my friends Honda CBR though. Anyways, a 250 was great to start on. You'll be suprised at how quick it actually is for being only a 250.
                  sigpic
                  I'm Back.

Comment

Originally posted by BandaidBandit View Post
                    You'll be suprised at how quick it actually is for being only a 250.
                    That's what caught me off guard about it. I remember it having some pretty good punch. It may seem like a small motor, but it will still out accelerate most cars, and brake faster than most cars. And like I said earlier, it carves up the turns pretty darn well.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I started out riding a GZ250, which is what Twiggy would call "one of those muscle bikes". 250cc engine, topped out at 80, had great acceleration, only weighed 340 lbs wet (you could pick it up from a fall with one hand). Best part: 80 mpg and it cost me a grand total of $6 to fill (2.1 gallon tank).

Twiggy, I highly recommend you take a motorcycle course before you get your bike. And bear in mind, statistically speaking, 68% of motorcycle accidents are caused because the other driver didnt see you. 46% of major motorcycle accidents are fatal for the rider. Also, bamboo is absolutely right. You will probably wind up laying your bike down at some point. I'd look on the cheap/used side.

Thats why I prefer a cruiser to a crotch rocket. Slower, louder, easier to see and less likely to become a statistic because I dont have the temptation of ridiculous speed to make me do stupid things. :)

Comment

Take the MSF course, it's great, and you will learn alot.

Dude, think about it, a 600cc sportbike will run faster than you can even imagine.

A "Tiny 600cc" bike puts out over a 100hp to the wheel, and weighs 400 pounds wet or less!! Play it safe and get a small one, then you can move up in size when you gain some exprience :)

Get a Ninja 250 or something, they are a blast! And this is coming from someone who has driven some 11 second cars ;)

Have you thought about Insurance? Gonna be brutal if you get a 600....

Don't take the dealerships advice. They are there to sell you a bike, not help you get the best one for you...

Remember, anybody can RIDE a bike, but few can CONTROL one.

Just some advice from a new rider :)

Take the stinking MSF course, there is NO reason not to...
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Just posted on Engadget.com (my 2nd fav. website after TG.com :D)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/26/m...er-2/#comments

Don't get turned off by the looks in the picture. If you watch the vid, you see for the pic he took the cover panals off just to show the work. Comments in the article are good too! They make the point that he used pretty much the worst batteries (size/weight) but the most affordable. With all the new advancements in battery tech, hopefully something along these lines will be much more doable for us all. Just think, buy a used bike with a blown engine for cheap, put in the electric motor and batteries, and good to go.

Comments also link to this article
                          http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ic-motorcycle/

Notice there are pages that show how the mod was done, and on the right of the page there are links to a lot of similar articles.
                          And man, that bike looks good to boot.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yes, 600 especially anything that has an R in it (GSXR,CBR,ZX-R,R6) is ALOT of power. I think most 600's are right above 100 HP. Think about that for a sec. a Bike that weighs 300 hundred pounds/100HP. And I 100% agree with Bamboo. I layed my 1st bike (Ninja 250) down. Luckily, i wasn't going too fast.

If you've never ridden a bike before, I would high suggest not getting a 600 sportbike to start out with. Now with that said, I envy you cause I love to bike shop. ;)
                            sigpic
                            I'm Back.

Comment

On a lighter note as well, I just moved to near Jacksonville, NC. It is home to Camp Lajune, a major East Coast Marine base. Lots of hot and horney guys with disposable income, and there are bikes everywhere. They are with you at every stoplight, in every parking lot, and I love to ogle them.
                              That is till I see most of the riders, many of whom are wearing nothing more than a pair of shorts and a helmet. Could they be any less brain dead? They could have all the ability in the world, but it isn't going to help when they get smacked by another careless driver that weighs 10X as much.
                              If you do get a bike, make sure you get the gear to go along with it.
                              http://www.sportbike-motorcycle-info...lejackets.html
                              http://ezinearticles.com/?Motorcycle...orks!&id=13040

They actually look pretty good, and a hell of a lot better than road rash does. (My dad has plenty of that to show off. :( )

Engadget also just had an article about a new jacket with a built in airbag collar for bikers. Had test vids and everything. Looked like it would be a good option.

And also before you buy consider how much fun it is to ride in the rain, and how you will get home when you are really tired from a long day at work. You really have to have your head in the game before you go out and ride. That is the reason I don't own one. My ADD/Attention Span is so short, I wouldn't last long on a bike. Stupid TV, thanks for nothing.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X