X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninja 250r

I was thinking about getting this bike.
    http://www.kawasaki.com/products/detail.aspx?id=263

It would be my first, which is why I'm willing to go for 250 and not larger displacement (I'd rather not kill myself by accident). From the reviews I've read this looks to be the best starter bike out there. Alot of people say buy used, but I'd rather not buy a used bike only to have something not work properly while I'm going 60 miles an hour with no riding experience under my belt.

Any advice from the bikers among us?
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Ninja 250r

Your thinking is solid switch, but I'd actually recommend a 500. My first ride was basically the slightly big brother to that... a used EX500r like this one:

It has 'safe' power - it's an eggbeater of a motor, so you're not going to be able to pop a wheelie or do anything stupid. But it's a small bike -- faster than most cars out there and VERY maneuverable. The upside is that you'll be happy with the 500 for a little longer before you start getting itchy for something a little more big boy.... I think with the 250 you'll be eager for something a little bigger really fast.

As far as used versus new - I'd DEFINITELY go used... you'll save yourself a few grand and the risk... I don't really see the risk. As long as the bike hasn't been dropped, you're pretty much good to go. They're simple machines - for short money your local bike shop can go over it w/ a fine-tooth comb and fix anything that might be wrong.

When you're done with it, I bet you can sell it to the next 'starter' for the same price you bought it for :)

I'd say your best bet is to take one of the MSF Courses... they're really fun and teach you a LOT.

Comment

I agree, MSF all the way...
      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

No worries, I wouldn't think of getting on a bike before doing a MSF course
        |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

The course will give you more insight on things, and you may even get to ride a 250 depending on what they have :)
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Im taking my MSF course soon and I also highly reccomend it before buying a bike :)

Comment

the school i go to does information tech manufacturing business ed and culinary and the culinary teacher is 60 sumthing and he got just this year and brand new BMW bike i was walking out of the school to the parking lot and i watched as a blue streak went passed and launched itself off a speed bump and made a perfect landing... in front of a patrol car. next day we asked him 105MPH! in the parking lot!
              I will not place claymores in my front yard.
              I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                Im taking my MSF course soon and I also highly reccomend it before buying a bike :)
                Says the person who has no experience on a motorcycle, and hasn't even taken the course yet....
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Okay...... then where are you trying to say?

Comment

Autoblog just posted a news peice about the 250, and a guy in the comments mentions a 250 fan site I am checking out now

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/07...deo-finalists/

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've resigned my hope for the year... as much as I want it -- living in NJ its only practical 6 months out of the year... with 3 of those months already behind us. I I'm going to wait until '09 -- but man I almost went out and bought it outright the other day, paycheck in hand.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Get the classes done early too though, with Gas prices as they are, at least around here, they've been filled up fairly quickly
                        RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Hey Switch,
                          The best time to buy a bike is winter. Prices are down.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X