M1917 Winchester Rifle 30.06

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1917 Winchester Rifle 30.06

Well, my father and his cousin were digging around in my grandfahers storage garage and came across his old rifle and helmet from WWII or possibly WWI if it was my great grandfathers.

It is in pretty bad shape, then again, never owned a rifle.

Obviously, the metal on the butt and barrel is rusted a little. The wood seems to of been painted, purpose unknown. (History lesson anyone?)

I have pictures but I'm not sure how to put them in my post. Any help?

So now what? It is in my possession, Do I want to restore it? Should I leave it as is? Maybe clean up the bolt mechanism? How do I go about any of this?

Part of me wants to leave it as is and place it up on the wall. But then again, restoring its old color would be great. I'll also ask my grandfather.

Any site links to help me out?
    I see, I come, I conquer.

Re: M1917 Winchester Rifle 30.06

Iím no expert but when I read articles in gun mags they are always talking about the serial numbers and makers cartouche. Who made it and when seems to be the BIG thing for collectors.
    The serial should be on the reciever, barrel and bolt. The barrel and stock may have a cartouche stamp.

Pics if you can get them.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Comment

http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php

this site will help you out a ton....make sure you post in the right spot..

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

post there. What ever you do is never post serial numbers or atleast complete serial numbers. Do post pictures.

http://photobucket.com/
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Thank you, I'll look at both sites. It is a little late, so I'll do pictures tomorrow.
        I see, I come, I conquer.

Comment

Why should one avoid posting serial numbers?
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Ive heard others say some people will try to report a stolen gun then claim they found "their" gun at an online site. If you post the serial number they can just write it down and claim the gun as theirs and then you have to prove its not. If you post the serial number leave off the first few numbers such as xxx54321.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
              If you post the serial number leave off the first few numbers such as xxx54321.
              LOL! The first few digits are often given away by the make and model of the gun! Much better idea to leave off the last two or three digits...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

it was an example
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                  it was an example
                  Right, but I'm pointing out that it's a horrible one. If you leave off the first few digits, but tell someone that you have a particular gun, you might be giving them the entire serial number anyway!

For instance, if I told you that I have a Colt WarCannon revolver that is stamped 1937 on the left side, stamped "Los Angeles PD" on the right side and has serial number xxx182, well, then I've just given you the whole serial number as every Colt WarCannon begins with a 73 and the third digit is a 5 for the contract with LAPD, a 2 for the Border Patrol and a 7, 8, or 9 for civilian sales. Therefore, your s/n is 735182.

See what I mean?

And, to the OP, Guns and Ammo magazine runs a column for people to inquire about their guns. If you can't find the answer by looking at http://www.gunbroker.com/ , you might want to ask them...

When the ODCMP has 'em, you can buy a surplus rifle for $300-500 http://www.odcmp.com/Rifles/M1917.htm
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

talking aobut claims, serials, and gun legitimacy i need a new scope and my hick friend at school told me he had one on a gun he had buried in a acre that he could give me... he told me the gun was "hot" first what does this mean? second when he retrieves it is it ok for me to still recive the scope? so should i decline the offer entirely.
                    I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Comment

"Hot" means stolen. Sounds like a friend you want to distance yourself from. By several counties.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

aw dang it... i was hoping for a free scope...

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                          "Hot" means stolen. Sounds like a friend you want to distance yourself from. By several counties.
                          I agree
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

ok, ill just say nascar is the devil he will never talk to me again.

dang now i need a scope

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X