Review: Generation Kill—The Iraq War, Batteries Not Included

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Generation Kill—The Iraq War, Batteries Not Included

Gizmodo.com just posted this review. Makes me wish I had HBO for once.
    http://gizmodo.com/5025094/review-ge...s-not-included

Homepage:
    http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/

That site is really cool. Click on the gear up tab!

Also, if you all hav'nt seen the FX series Over There yet, stop what you are doing and go rent it now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_There_(TV_series)
    I was pissed when they didn't renew that.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Review: Generation Kill—The Iraq War, Batteries Not Included

"Over There" was indeed a great show. I loved how it took politics out of the equation, it showed the personal problems many of our soldiers can face, and also showed how the media can really get in the way of our soldiers. The actors did such a good job that they seemed like real people and not Hollywood folk. A well done show. I was also disheartened when they didn't continue the show.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I watched the first episode this past sunday, and it was excellent, I am still surprised that this came from a Rolling Stone reporter who was hunkered down with this Marine Unit in the beginning of Gulf War 2 in 2003. I really recommend this show to everyone, it is well written and shows the side from the Marines, I must say I am really surprised with the concept that this came from a Rolling Stone Interview.

Great writing done by the Wire creator.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I loved Over There and was sorely disappointed when they scrapped it.

I saw an ad for this and was very very estatic, unfortunately I don't get HBO.. but I do get torrents!
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
          I loved Over There and was sorely disappointed when they scrapped it.

I saw an ad for this and was very very estatic, unfortunately I don't get HBO.. but I do get torrents!
          I wouldn't say that too loud. I just got a cease and desist letter from HBO regarding a show downloaded from my ip via torrents. They are watching. I haven't downloaded anything in a long time, so I guess it's time to secure my wi-fi.

Comment

My wi-fi is secure, and if they snoop anything that goes on in my house they'll be sued for interfering with business (home server/business server in my home)
            Skud

Comment

Actually, the ball's in their court due to the DMCA. Later, I'll post a copy of the letter Charter sent me on HBO's behalf.

Comment

Wow, the pilot was amazing. Kudos to HBO and David Simon for creating this. This show is a must watch for me. Way better than Over There. Awesome start to the series. Anyone else enjoy it as much as me?

Comment

I thought it was very well done, defintely of higher quality than Over There, which I also enjoyed. So far it appears it will show us a side of soldiers and the war that the media has neglected.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Almost a year ago one of the real estate brokers who works with my dad had his friend in his office, and i introduced myself and we got talking and I mentioned how HBO needs to get in gear a BOB type of miniseries about the beginning of GW2, and this fellow was a producer and he mentioned how he's working on such a project, with HBO, and how it will revolve around a Marine Platoon of sorts.

I should have asked him at that point if he needed extra's, and or talking more in depth about it.....But i talked to the broker in the office and mentioned if his friend Chris got the green light on the project, and sure enough Mike told me to watch Generation Kill on sunday (i at that point was already stoked for it and had it tivo'ed), and am really impressed with it thus far, beats anything that is out in the movie theatre's right now (even though i know dark knight comes out tomorrow), but I am looking forward to seeing the next 6 episodes.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Turns out the fellow i met is Chance Kelly who plays the Godfather, he isn't a producer but an actor, i guess he had a NDA so nothing was leaked out......Nice guy though.

this is the first time in a long time i have sat during an entire episode and did not get up, not even to refill my water or go to the bathroom. The dialogue is excellent, the way the writers have the soldiers converse to one another, you are really starting to get to know these guys, and how they feel about everything........

I am enjoying this series so far, you can even find some of the articles on google. Google "killer elite" and you should be able to find the first 3 parts, of the interview, i tried not to read too much bc i didn't want to spoil what was to come in the upcoming episodes but i did sneak some peeks.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Hopefully they'll be quick to release this on DVD, since I don't have HBO and I'm not going to download it. I REALLY want to see this show.

Comment

Is there anywhere I can download the generation kill episodes?

Comment

Illegally?

Anywhere on the internet.

I be they'll be on iTunes soon too.
                            Skud

Comment

The second episode came out yesterday, it was pretty good. I especially like all the philosophies and explanations the soldiers give.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X