Navy Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Questions

Well I decided that I wanted to enter BUD/S to hopefully become a Navy Seal. I am gonna get myself prepared for 2 years before I enter the service and I was wondering if anyone here was ex Navy Seal or Special Operations that can give me some advice as to what I should do to get ready. 75% of my workouts will be cardiovascular and it will also consist of mixed callistenics and mass building workouts. My diet has also changed from mostly eating junk food to eating well cooked meals that are rich in protein and essential minerals and my supplements including whey protein shakes and creatine estyl ether.

Re: Navy Questions

Well, I cant say as I was a seal, but I did go to mini-BUDS when I was in ROTC. However, from my own experiences, as well as a little intel gathering I did for you from friends of my parents who were actually seals, you need to focus on two key areas physically: endurance and strength.

Basically, you dont have to have mega-strength. A lot of meatheads go into buds thinking the ability to bench press 400 lbs is going to walk them through. These are guys who wind up ringing the bell. You need to be decently strong, but not uber-strong. The biggest deal from my experience and what I've been told is endurance. You have to be able to run and run and run and swim and swim and run and swim back to back. So dont just train on land, find yourself a good olympic pool and start a swimming regimen as well as your running.

Training for BUDS is just like training for anything else. Keep your mindset and strive for the goal and you'll be able to make it.

However, I will tell you that if your goal is to get in the seals as an enlisted guy, you're going to be training for a lot more than just two years. Contrary to what the commercials lead you to believe, you dont just sign your enlistment papers and go straight to san diego. Chances are, it's going to be a couple years after you enlist before you go to buds.

Now, if you're interested in going to college first, check out a NROTC program. Many of them offer programs that will assist you in training for buds while you're in school. After you graduate and get your commission, if you're selected for buds, they send you right out (and you're making officer pay, which is a nice big bonus).

Also, I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but the reality is that BUDS is EXTREMELY selective. I'd be going out on a limb to quote a percentage, but the vast majority of the people who apply get shot down. So if your goal is just to be a navy seal, then you might want to re-evaluate. If your goal is to serve your country in the navy and being a seal is the icing on the cake, then your head is where it should be. Make sure you have a backup plan. Doing SAR Swimming is fun too if you like diving out of helicopters and facing certain death once or twice a year. :)

Comment

I was never a SEAL, never even close. But at one point I considered re-enlisting so I did a bit of research and started a work out plan. Keep in mind this was about ten years ago.

I would recommend the BUDS warning order to get started with. When you can do that in your sleep look up Stew Smith's 12 week workout. He created the BUDS prep program at the Naval Academy.
      Last edited by USN_Squid; 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM.
      New to TG?

Comment

Get on YouTube and look for "CrossFit" videos. That'll give you an idea of the kind of exercises that SEALs do... Be imaginative with simple equipment. You should see the workouts that SEALs do with a log/telephone pole.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

If you aren't already enlisted your recruiter is most likely trying to get you to sign for a false promise of "YOU COULD BE A SEAL!"

The Navy Recruiters are so obsessed with promoting the seals, I'm almost certain that 25% of the kids they sign out of highschool think they'll be seals down the road.

My advice: Admit that it's only a possibility - train hard, enjoy the training, but don't be disappointed if you're turned down or miss the mark. The military is on a binge of special forces promotion.

Do you really want to be special forces or do you just like the ring of it? Every person entering the Armed Services should ask themselves that. Find something to do in the navy that you're good at, that you'll be paid for, and that you'll learn from. After a couple of years, take a good look at where you're life is going now and where it would go as a SEAL.

This isn't really a decision you can make while enlisting - maybe in a couple years in.
          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            Training for BUDS is just like training for anything else. Keep your mindset and strive for the goal and you'll be able to make it.

However, I will tell you that if your goal is to get in the seals as an enlisted guy, you're going to be training for a lot more than just two years. Contrary to what the commercials lead you to believe, you dont just sign your enlistment papers and go straight to san diego. Chances are, it's going to be a couple years after you enlist before you go to buds.

Now, if you're interested in going to college first, check out a NROTC program. Many of them offer programs that will assist you in training for buds while you're in school. After you graduate and get your commission, if you're selected for buds, they send you right out (and you're making officer pay, which is a nice big bonus).

Also, I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but the reality is that BUDS is EXTREMELY selective. I'd be going out on a limb to quote a percentage, but the vast majority of the people who apply get shot down. So if your goal is just to be a navy seal, then you might want to re-evaluate. If your goal is to serve your country in the navy and being a seal is the icing on the cake, then your head is where it should be. Make sure you have a backup plan. Doing SAR Swimming is fun too if you like diving out of helicopters and facing certain death once or twice a year. :)
            Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
            If you aren't already enlisted your recruiter is most likely trying to get you to sign for a false promise of "YOU COULD BE A SEAL!"

The Navy Recruiters are so obsessed with promoting the seals, I'm almost certain that 25% of the kids they sign out of highschool think they'll be seals down the road.

My advice: Admit that it's only a possibility - train hard, enjoy the training, but don't be disappointed if you're turned down or miss the mark. The military is on a binge of special forces promotion.

Do you really want to be special forces or do you just like the ring of it? Every person entering the Armed Services should ask themselves that. Find something to do in the navy that you're good at, that you'll be paid for, and that you'll learn from. After a couple of years, take a good look at where you're life is going now and where it would go as a SEAL.

This isn't really a decision you can make while enlisting - maybe in a couple years in.
            The best info and advice.

Realize that once you get to bootcamp you belong to the Navy. We had 10 guys in my bootcamp company that said they where going to be a member of SEAL. Not one of them made it. Only one even got to try out.

And when you don't make SEAL you get assigned whatever you qualify for and the Navy sees fit to give you. One of those guys ended up doing KP duty at Orlando for as long as I was in A-school and Nuc School, almost a year.:icon_eek:

I don't think any of us are trying to convince you otherwise, just try going into the Navy knowing everything.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Wasn't a Navy seal...

Was a Navy Diver and I worked now and again with the Navy Seals and UDT teams. Everything everyone has said to you has been great. Just remember no matter how much training you do it really doesn't get you "MENTALLY" prepared for what you would go through. They will break you down so they can build you up again...It's just what they do...

The physical part you can try and get ready for but as others have said it is not about benching 400 pounds. If you look at most seals they are actually pretty small guys! They have strength and ENDURANCE!!! But it is different running a couple miles on your own VS Running a couple miles all wet covered in sand with a Team and a whole lotta gear on ya...LOL! Oh the Chaffing!!!

SO with that said....remember to get a good rate as you wait...take advantage of the schooling and things as you do wait for your opportunity! Try SARS, Divers and the other things as you wait...

All in all try to make it the adventure you can even during the crap times of clean ups and waiting to wait...LOL! Take pictures...Don't trust your Recruiter...try and get things in WRITING...LOL! Because when you do decide to get out whether it is short time or long time, you will realize it was cool to HAVE BEEN IN and those photos of the places you had been and things you did will be great to share with everyone.

Navy will be what ya make it...even during the rough times... And thats from someone that spent months trapped underwater!!! LOL!

P.S. You also may want to look into the P90X program! I have been doing it lately and it is designed to keep your muscles guessing...it works so many different areas...All without a lot of weights just some basic hand weights...Helps to have pull up bar as well...
              Last edited by Quest Shady; 07-21-2008, 09:27 PM. Reason: Added P90X!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Im just a young but very mature 15 year old. I think what your doing is great and sto=rongly encourage it. I thank you for your courage and valor and working for our country. I too want to do somhthing along the same lines of serving.
                [S]ift

Let Your Reactions Do It For You. It's Sorta Like The Force.

Comment

SEALS are smart to one of the guys on my airsoft team his dad is a former Navy SEAL now im a Good sniper i know how to use my ghillie i know my gun any game his dad watched he could spot me if any gun when wrong he could figure it out he could figure our windage that i still cant understand and tell you how fast the wind was moving and how far away the target was with out a second glance.
                  I will not place claymores in my front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Obvious View Post
                    seals are smart to one of the guys on my airsoft team his dad is a former navy seal now im a good sniper i know how to use my ghillie i know my gun any game his dad watched he could spot me if any gun when wrong he could figure it out he could figure our windage that i still cant understand and tell you how fast the wind was moving and how far away the target was with out a second glance.

So you and an "EX NAVY SEAL" play bb games with you and help you dope with wind corrections when shooting plastic? Not to mention you are an awesome sniper?

Sure
                    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Excuse me but i was told very violently to use the word FORMER ex is for failure

i play with this son and i have been sharp shooting since i was 8

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
                        Excuse me but i was told very violently to use the word FORMER ex is for failure

i play with this son and i have been sharp shooting since i was 8

Sharp shooting what? Airsoft? Usually shooting consists of well, shooting...

You don't understand why I specifically said "EX-NAVY SEAL", so it doesn't matter...
                        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
                          Sharp shooting what? Airsoft? Usually shooting consists of well, shooting...

You don't understand why I specifically said "EX-NAVY SEAL", so it doesn't matter...
                          Explain then.

What is so bad about playing Air Soft with a former navy seal?
                          Skud

Comment

Thank you guys for all of your helpful advice. I know that theres not a good chance of me entering BUD/s as i first enter the Navy. But thats even better cause when i enter I can practice my SEAL Combat swim and get even in more shape than what I am doing now. Only time will tell how long it will be before I enter bud/s but in the mean time I will choose to be a Navy Diver or even do EOD in the mean time to at least get some experience instead of doing a desk job. That will not only help me get in physical and mental shape but it will also help me to accquire some skills needed to help me in my journey to become a seal. I just hope the Navy has shooting ranges LOL :)

Comment

The navy absolutely has shooting ranges. You are also free to go to public ranges. However, keep in mind what Gringo said: when you go into the navy, you can ask nicely to go do something (whether thats buds, dive school, eod school, whatever) but ultimately, you go wherever the navy wants you to go. So you may very well wind up with a desk job, be prepared for that possibility.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X