Being an Eagle Scout kicks ass!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being an Eagle Scout kicks ass!

I've been told all my life if you get the Eagle Scout award (in Boy Scouts), you get a crap load of connections. I always took this with a grain of salt and when I finally got it last Thursday, I thought it would just look awesome on my college applications and that would be the end of it.

Hell no.

So I get a call about 5 mins ago from a guy who was given my contact information by a guy who did my Eagle board of review. The board member was an ex-WWII pilot (old guy, but sharp as a whip) who had major connections with the USAF and the aviation industry.

So back to the guy who just called me. He's a USAFA (Air Force Academy) grad who works down at the local airport. He also happens to have a 2 seater trainer aircraft and is taking me up for an hour or so tomorrow.

**** YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being an Eagle Scout kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Re: Being an Eagle Scout kicks ass!

Cool :)

Comment

Excellent, welcome to the club.

Comment

Good job man!!!!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Congratulations! Goal settting, follow through and good character are qualities that will take you far in life. Much as a college degree is a sort of "ticket" so is the Eagle Scout. Don't stop now!
          New to TG?

Comment

You're right! You being an Eagle Scout gives you an edge on your resume and many people recognize you for your achievement. I earned my Eagle Scout rank as well, and not only did it get me automatic E-3 when I enlisted in the Air Force, but toward the end of my basic training, the Air Force Academy liaison at Lackland AFB found out I was an Eagle Scout, and told me he would personally ensure my acceptance into the Academy if I wanted to go. I decided that I wasn't in the mood for 4 more years of "basic training", and was anxious to get to tech school, so I declined. It made me realize that the title of Eagle Scout is indeed a very positive thing and can only help you in life. Also, I've NEVER been turned down for any job that I've interviewed for. Good luck in life betterthanred; you're doing great so far!
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

my dad is an eagle scout, he even has a picture of the president shaking his hand. I was/am always proud to tell folks of my dad's achievement in the scouts. Wish I would have stuck with it more, but even as my dad said, the troops around our town just were not the same as in his day. Good job man, it is a real achievement and something to be proud of.

Comment

Congratulations !
                I got halfway through my project when everything fell through one after the other--even my Scoutmaster quit the troop, and the Assistant SM got cancer--but I've always wished somehow I could have gotten it done anyway.

Good job, it's just the beginning.
                sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

Congrats.

I got mine in 89, just before my 18th birthday (a blacksmith/welder slowed me down).

I got some scholarships for college because of my eagle.
                  Got some job interviews because of it (lots of applications, but because of the eagle, he put me on the top of the pile)
                  It got me some extra points on a speech in college once. When I added I was an eagle scout, the professor said "you just earned five points." (He was big into scouting still at age 60+

Ironically, all my boyscouts leadership didn't help me get into National Honor Society because (and i quote from a teacher who was the sponsor until this happened, then she quite) "they aren't popular enough" (refering to myself and a friend in scouts as well). I didn't get in until my senior year. Then when they asked me to help in different things I told them to bugger off because I wasn't popular enough to help. I wasn't bitter. Much.

I am a bit upset though. I've been seeing a lot of eagle projects that are pathetic. Mine took me four months of serious labor. Drilling through concrete, etc...

One guy made some signs on the distance to the fence on 5 baseball fields. That was it. Pathetic. Measure 15 distances. Make some big signs (just paint on playwood). Hang on fence. That's like... one day? That dilutes the value of the award.

I had another friend who got the eagle and like 4 palms. Didn't like him much. LOL

Another friend was stripping the paint off the wooden add-on porch room of a museumy coach house and repainting. Course, it was about 5 layers of paint. The oldest was like 100 years old. It took him 2 years to get it all off.
                  "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                  Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                  " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

It's great to see so many of you around here!

My Eagle Project was to run a drive at my local church for toys and school supplies to be shipped off to the soldiers overseas and given to the children. We sent 112 boxes of stuff (100+ lbs of candy alone) over there, and even with shipping costs exceeding 2k, I still had enough money in donations to give a donation to the Any Soldier group.

My board of review was shocked at scale of the project.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Grats i got mine in 2004. It really does help with connections.

I finished mine in 9th grade so, now its helping out more than it did then.

My Eagle Project was Collecting eye glasses and hearing aids for the Lions Club.

The best part that i remember is that my troop would go to the shooting range in our area and I got to shoot a S&W .500
                      CoD4= -Shogun.jacK-
                      CoD:WaW= Ravedout

Comment

Thanks!

Now for the fun part. Just came back from an hour flight around my area, and wow was that cool. We were in a small piper cub, the kind you see buzzing around in the Alaskan and Canadian wilderness, but you would be surprised how much power that thing had. After taking off, my instructor handed the control over to me and I basically had free range for about an hour. It really is a whole different world up there, and it is nothing like what you experience in a commercial airline. When you are in control, it really is ultimate freedom.

I'll be honest, it is really nerve wracking when you first try it. It was kind of funny (haha I thought I was going to die) when my instructor told me to make a turn and head for the gulf. So I started into this really lazy mile wide turn because I wasn't sure what the aircraft could do, and then the instructor took back the controls and turned that thing perpendicular to the ground and did a few hairpin turns. I was in shock looking out the side of the aircraft and staring right at the ground while whipping around like a helicopter. After that, it was kind of hard to be nervous since I knew the plane could handle pretty much anything.

But anyways, way too much fun to be legal. Everyone should try it once.

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Originally posted by Betterdeadthanred View Post
                          Everyone should try it once.
                          Oh I have ;)

Flying is a great experience, I am glad you enjoyed it!

Did you get to do any steep dives or climbs?
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Congrats, Betterdead. I got mine in '96. I'm proud of it, although it's never really gotten me into any secret clubs.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betterdeadthanred View Post
                              Now for the fun part. Just came back from an hour flight around my area, and wow was that cool.
                              Better than any rollercoaster, isn't it!
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X