SourceMod brings OO to HL2 plugins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SourceMod brings OO to HL2 plugins

Well, the SDK has been released. That's old news by now, I guess.

But for those of you who don't run servers or write plugins for them, you might not have read that SourceMod, the next generation Administration and Scripting tool for Half-Life 2 and the Source engine (authored by the creators of AMXX, a very popular HL scripting/admin tool), will be using Javascript as their official language for plugins. This means that, for the first time, myself and many others will be able to bring the power of object-oriented design and development to server plugins. No, javascript is not the cleanest example of object-orientation, but it beats the pants off of Small, which is nothing of the sort.

I've been writing Javascript code for over a decade, and so have a LOT of other nerds in the typical gaming demographic, so it's nice to see that many people will have to learn only the finer points of the architecture and will already be somewhat familiar with the official language of the platform. Other languages (presently C and Small, and soon Python) remain options as well for those who prefer them over Javascript. The platform has been designed from the ground up to allow plugins all written in different languages to run at the same time on the same server.

Anyway, I just thought this was interesting, so I thought I'd share it.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: SourceMod brings OO to HL2 plugins

Hooray for Python! :-)

Seriously though, this is pretty big news (as gaming news goes). OO with plugins? The mind reels at the possibilities.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

OK, the only code I am even slightly familier with is Morse... What does this mean for TG? I know you were writing some pretty kickass plugins for NS. Does this mean that you won't be the only one designing stuff for us now? Does it mean that you're going to be able to write better stuff now?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well, the plugins I write are more administrative in nature than anything else. The really groundbreaking stuff that absolutely changes gameplay, the nature of plugin we're VERY hesitant to install on the TGNS server but of which we are running a couple, are written by people far cooler than me.

But I have written a rather snazzy reserved slots plugin which allows members to join the server when it is full and also leaves a second "tier" of player reservation available to players who cannot afford membership but who are regulars on the server. These people do not enjoy membership benefits, but the plugin is far less likely to choose THEM to be removed if the server is full and a member is joining. It is one of several plugins I have written specifically for our server, which helps make it unique among the masses (the players - and members - get the MOST credit for making our server unique).

No, I will continue to write plugins for our Source servers, but I likely will not write plugins that change gameplay (for example, making the clip of a gun larger). I will write more administrative plugins. For example, with the help of a Python script Pokerface authored, we have a plugin on the TGNS server that allows players to summon an admin using AOL Instant Messenger if there's something on the server that needs admin attention when no admin is present.

I'll continue to write plugins that help make the servers a more pleasant place to play regardless of gameplay, as opposed to writing plugins that modify the gameplay itself. To be sure, the code IN the plugins will be cleaner, but I don't know how much difference people USING the plugins will see. I dunno... time will tell how much this means to the average player. But to the developer, this is big news.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Does this mean that soon members will get reserved slots on the CS:S server? Oh, and even better... Will we get temp admin rights in the server while there is no full admin around? Just like in the NS server.. ??

I think that would make it alot nicer in there, and I might actualy start playing it to get rid of the "non-tactical" and "non-cooperative" players when they cause problems.
          birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Unfortunately it is still too early for any estimate of when SourceMod will be able to mark a release. Good news, though.

Comment

One of the many reasons why our NS server enjoys the activity it does is that, in addition to the original slot reservation system it offers, an original administrative presense policy is also offered to players.

For those of you who don't know, it is designed such that, in the absense of an official admin, one (and only ever one at any given time) supporting Tactical Gamer member on his team is granted limited (and very well logged) administrative rights in order to preserve order and maintain TG gameplay standards.

All regulars, supporting members and otherwise, have learned to look to members for help when an admin is not present and they need removed from the server a player who is in blatant and knowledgeable violations of the server rules. Some members are afraid to use the power, or don't care to assume the responsibility. Others, however, often (and usually without the public recognition and thanks official admins experience) are instrumental in keeping the server "clean" when admins aren't available. This, combined with the script which allows official admins to be summoned, is my solution (as Game Officer) to maintaining a constant and responsive admin presense. It's not perfect, but it's very nice.

I was very concerned about giving any sort of admin rights to "non-admins", but the program has been very successful and has been in place for several months now.

--

It is my intention to begin authoring similar systems (both the slot reservations and the "temp admins," as they're called) for the CS:S server as soon as SourceMod allows me to begin working on them. Whether or not these systems are introduced into the CS:S server will be the decision of whomever is appointed CS:S Game Officer at Tactical Gamer.

Comment

I certainly hope that this kind of system is implemented in the CS: Source server. Oh, and I worded my last post wrong... I wouldn’t start playing there TO get rid of those people… I would start playing there if those people were not there… ;)

Anyhow, yes, the release of SourceMod is exciting… Cant wait to see what ideas are dreamt up. I’m sure we will start seeing some really interesting "modified mod’s".
                birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Wyz & all have you read this document?
                  http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Code/ServerPlugins.html
                  It looks like a lot could be done using the native C++ API rather than wait for SourceMod to build a js interpreter. I'm going to try messing around with this if I have time on the weekend.

Comment

I haven't read that document.

I have, however, heard several times about the feature it covers. I don't write in C++, but I do think we, as players, will all take value in time from Valve including this in their server. Sourcemod will still offer unique value, though, as what Valve is offering is very base.

Comment

Because of one particular round from last night on the PCS server I thought I would toss out an idea for a future administration plugin/script/thingy.

When people get kicked from the server their body and all of their equipment disappears. This is all fine and good except for when they were carrying the bomb. It would be nice if the admins had the ability to force a player to drop the bomb and/or have access to a special command that makes them drop the bomb right before getting kicked. If no admins are present maybe the players could have an NS style vote to "eject" the player from the bomb. Right now the only way for the team to get the bomb from an unresponsive/afk/trouble making player is to TK them and that isn't an attractive solution. Having no bomb takes a lot of the tactical out of the game :(

Comment

GO GEEKS GO!

Don't know what the hell you guys are talking about but if it sounds promising then terrific! :icon_wink

Originally posted by DON.MAC
                        When people get kicked from the server their body and all of their equipment disappears. This is all fine and good except for when they were carrying the bomb. It would be nice if the admins had the ability to force a player to drop the bomb and/or have access to a special command that makes them drop the bomb right before getting kicked. If no admins are present maybe the players could have an NS style vote to "eject" the player from the bomb. Right now the only way for the team to get the bomb from an unresponsive/afk/trouble making player is to TK them and that isn't an attractive solution. Having no bomb takes a lot of the tactical out of the game :(
                        Yeah, great points, ran into this problem yesterday a few times. A particular bummer when you have to kick an AFK bomb carrier...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X