Mt First Resume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt First Resume

This is my Resume, id like some true Helpful discussions about it, im going to leave in all the Extracurricular Activities parts, so if u have a strong reason to take one out tell me... Youll see why i added this in the NS part...

http://up1.fastuploads.com/First_Resume.doc

Edit, added phone number... Just not in this version...
    Oyee

Re: Mt First Resume

Not to take anything away from the TG NS community, but I think you're missing out on a ton of experience by not posting this in the General Discussion forum...

Comment

The proper abbreviation of "junior" is "Jr."

In the education section, put your expected dates for getting those things. It's helpful for people to know if they're hiring a freshman or a senior, as well as when someone could expect you to be available full-time.

Having "excellent people skills" is pretty trite. Unless you can think up some resume-worthy example showing that -- like the fact that you helped teach classes in high school (in lieu of saying "excellent teaching skills") -- I'd save that whole section for cover letter filler.

I'm guessing (since I don't know the software), but I think you want to capitalize the p in "Animation Shop pro".

The table lines make me twitch.

That said, it's a fine first effort for someone "Currently Achieving Arlington High School Diploma"; better than quite a few first drafts I saw in college, for certain.

Keep in mind two things when revising: actions speak louder than words, and ...

... this is deathly important ...

People looking at your resume are looking for a reason to chuck your resume and move on to the next one. They are NOT looking to hire you from the resume; they are looking to weed out the losers from the beginning. Make sure that you don't hand them a reason (poor grammar, misspellings) BEFORE they even get to the meat of the resume.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
        Not to take anything away from the TG NS community, but I think you're missing out on a ton of experience by not posting this in the General Discussion forum...
        Excellent point. HOCUS POCUS!
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Having never written a resumé, I'm more likely to use this as a guide than criticize your work. That said, include any and all community service or volunteer work (maybe even Boy Scouts?) as it looks good. And if you even won class president or something, add it, too.

Oh yeah. Instead of 'minimal' use some fancy word like tertiary (maybe not) or something to sugar coat the not-yet-1337ness. ;)

Comment

Looks good but I would get rid of the fun font. Maybe Arial

Comment

Whenever you write a resume, you want the reader to see you as a professional.

With that in mind, I would strongly recommend dropping the reference to Tactical Gamer unless the job you have in mind is to play games for money.

What is your objective? Summer Job? Co-op job? Internship? You need to inform the reader of your resume what type of job you are looking for and the committment you can make towards it.

Any leadership roles in the activities you did? That is always a plus.

The comments about your teaching skills, people skills, etc are very general and do not show the reader that you do possess them. Any activities you can point to to highlight those skills?

List the references you have, don't say Available on request. And give a brief description of their relationship to you..boss, teacher, family member, friend of the family, etc. Make sure you ask these people if it would be okay to use them as a reference. You want someone who is going to sell your positive points and not talk about your negative points. It also gives them time to think about how they are going to describe you if they are called up.

If your GPA is 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale, equivalent on other skills), list it on the resume. That helps.

Comment

I worked for an IT recruiter for a couple years (database entry, no big deal) but the one thing she always looked for was ACTION.

Attained this position
                Accomplished such and such
                Completed this or that
                Compiled so and so

Use those terms to start each bullet and it hits 'em in the face.

Edit:
                For example, instead of saying currently working on graduating, you could say;

Completed Junior year of high school with x.x gpa in the x percentile of all students. Currently scoring x.x towards graduation (assuming that you're doing better ;)
                New to TG?

Comment

Like Wolf said, unless you're looking for a job in the computer gaming industry, I would drop the reference to TG.
                  I'd also get a more professional email address, one related to your name, for your job hunting. I've got a gmail invite available if you need it.
                  You might also want to spell out CCNA. I have no idea what it is, so why would your prospective employer (unless it's specific to the industry that you're applying for...)? What is it, Cisco Certified Network Admin?
                  As someone else already pointed out, the font is unprofessional. I'd go with Times New Roman, personally.

I think it's great that you're working on this already! I'm almost 30 and I still have never typed up a resume. I've always had jobs that either were too, umm, entry level (retail and food services) or were too important (security clearance-wise) that a resume was appropriate for it. When I was getting out of the Marines, there were a few months where I was trying to get all my info together to do one, but I ended up getting an awesome job without one. I think I'm the exception, though. Most of the good careers require a resume. And at least a bachelor's degree. For someone in high school, however, your resume is looking fine. If I were an employer, I'd be impressed that you even have a resume. A few more extra curricular activities or volunteer work might look a bit nicer. Thinking of all the things that you've done in the past couple years is the hardest part, I think. Haven't you done any community service or charity work? That always looks good.
                  Squids point is very important. More and more companies are filtering submitted resumes electronically before they're even seen by a human. They use action words and words specific to their job to do this filtering.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

There are many great suggestions here. Having just finished my Associates Degree I just did a lot of resume writing and I have never had so many positive hits and actual job offers just based on my resume in my life.

My 2 cents:

First lose the boxes keep it in simple list format with section headers.

Loose the Comic Sans font, keep it simple Arial or times or a smart combination of the 2. Arial is usually better for headers with Times as a body text.

They are right about your Education. List what it is and the expected Graduation or completion Date. Usually Month and year is enough.

List a phone number. How do you expect them to call you for an interview?

Most places scan resumes through systems that do keyword searches. On your skills instead of listing Microsoft Office you will have more hits if you list individual applications like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, etc...

Also if you are going for job to use these skills list the more prominently that your education. In fact you are not trying to showcase your education right now so I would bump most of the way down.

Rather than just listing extracurricular try listing achievements in those activities.

You might consider an objective listing what position with this company you are applying for and what you can contribute to the position to make them want to hire you.

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you your file back with a few changes.
                    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Originally posted by Quarath
                      PM me your e-mail address and I will send you your file back with a few changes.
                      Pssst... It's in his resume... :)
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

do you have MS word?

there are a few really good templates on there, and even more online.

I would suggest the TTF font "France" If you need it, I can sent it to you, but it is elegant without being flashy or feminine.

also, extracurricular activities is the next to the last thing on a resume. Last should be references.

The best arrangement is:

last position and its accomplishments, then the one before... etc, no more than 4 or 5, and if you are not mass mailing them, keep the jobs listed specific to the one you are going for. (don't list mcdee's for a job at a car dealer) now if its the only one you got, then by all means, but out of field experience is useless except for two things: 1) showing that you made major advancements or improvements. 2) as a line in the personal/ professional references...(better to get a letter of recommendation for this one though)

education
                        community and volunteer
                        interests and activities
                        References

also, your contact info is best if it is set aside... like a footnote or a right justified text box. your name should be alone and prominent.

any other questions or if you would like more help, I would be happy to lend a hand.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I'm going to redo this for you, then send it to the email address you have in the file. :)

Comment

Here's what I need from you:

Arlington High School Wrestling Team- From when to when? Ex: 2002-2004
                            Arlington High School Computer Club- From when to when?

Excellent people skills- how? What specifically demonstrates your people skills? Tell me what you have done that shows your reader what you have accomplished.
                            Exceptional learning skills- examples?
                            Outstanding teaching skills- examples?

I can say I am an excellent resume writer, but what does that tell my reader? It tells them that *I* think I am good at it, but I have provided no evidence to support it. If instead I were to put in "Developed over 30 unique resumes for clients in a wide range of professional positions" I would be telling my reader much more about who I am and what I have to offer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X