Pinball makes me feel OLD!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinball makes me feel OLD!

So this last weekend we took our daughter to the Nickelodeon Hotel in Orlando, FL for 3 days. They have their own water slides and fun activities for the kids and as with most of these places they have an arcade.

Well not the arcades that I am used to from my days but one that has a few old arcade games then a bunch of games that you win "TICKETS" to turn into cheesy little gifts.

Locked away in a corner I find 2 pinball machines and I know I am home. I let the daughter and wife go wander off to play skee ball and win them cheap prizes while I settled in to play some good old pinball.

I try the first machine which is "Lord of the Rings" and find the left flipper a little loose. So I move on to "Pirates of the Caribbean" and was happy and on my way.

I like pinball...the lights, the sounds, the little nudges and bumps you have to give the table to work some magic. You also have a chance for extra balls, earn a free game and if you loose there is always that last hope to MATCH and get a free game.

So as I am grooving along earning an extra ball working my way up to hope fuly a free game I have a kid come up next to me and say...

"What is this?"

Not just once but three times I had to explain what pinball was and how it worked. A couple of kids tossed in quarters...err I mean swiped their cards and tried playing and usually followed up with their next question to me...

"How many tickets did I win?"

I just hanged my head and didn't have the heart to tell them that they won...NOTHING! SO I just told them I wasn't sure and kept on playing....

PINBALL MADE ME FEEL OLD!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Re: Pinball makes me feel OLD!

Odd, i'm a teenager and pinball is my favorite arcade game.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Ski Ball anyone?
      If not then pinball is definitely where it's at.
      My uncle has a pinball machine at his house and I try to steal time on it whenever I can.

Comment

I know the feeling of looking at a pinball machine and feeling old. Watched on television last night a movie that had one in it and my daughter asked me what it was and what was the purpose of it... and she is 10. I know I am not over the hill or nothing but still remembering back to my child years I was either standing in front of an pinball machine or a Missile Command arcade game. Reason why I was standing in front of them was my older brother was hogging them or my older cousin. If I got in their way as to make the attempts of playing either one of them I was slapped in the head with the retard smack and got the retard look as if they were saying, " what in the hell do you think you are doing twerp?".
        The good ole days, lol.

Comment

We have a very cool old arcade in town here that has a TON of games from every era, both video games and pinball. They probably have 30 to 40 pinball games alone, some of them that HAVE to date back to the 70s. My kids loved it when we went over there earlier this summer, and they got to try their hand at real pinball machines.

Do any of you "old" guys like me remember that old arcade football game that was like a table top game, with the screen facing up, and it had buttons and a track ball on each side for control? The players were Xs and Os, and to run you rolled the track ball as fast as you possibly could, usually pinching the crap out of your hand in the process? Anyone remember what that was called?
          |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

The only cool arcades around here would be Game Works. I think there may be one of those places that has a go kart track and arcade but once again they usualy are geared towards the tickets!

I used to remember a time when all the malls had a real arcade. Pump those quarters in to all those classic games and pinball machines... Now days you swipe cards and get charged "ponts" or it costs a dollar per game....

Another sad thing was the night before we went into that arcade I was in the hotel room on my lap top and checking out the TG forums and the hotel suddenly had problems so I lost my connection. The pool was closed because of the storm rolling through and I hadn't loaded any GOOD games on the laptop so I decided to hit the crappy Windows Pinball game for a few minutes. My daughter sees it and of course wants to play...She gets bored quickly and brings it back to me....The next day at the arcade my wife asks her if she knows what I am playing, as I am hitting the pinball machine and she said "Yea kinda like what he played on the lap top." and proceeded to leave me in my oldness...LOL!

I can picture the game BigMcLarge is talking about. I am not sure of the name though. I remember that they put a few games in that table top mode...like Donkey Kong and Pac Man and a few others. Another game that had that track ball was MARBLE MADNESS...used to get a lot of exercise on that one...LOL!

Comment

Pretty much any arcades in my area have dried up, you can find a few arcade machines (playing some significantly old games) in the movie theaters/Wal-Marts but no pinball. It's very sad that pinball has fallen by the wayside so much, I wish I had one of those large arcades BigMcLarge talked about though, I too am a big pinball fan.
              "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
              -- Red Forman

Comment

Well, if anyone happens to be out this way, the place is called Arcade Amusements in Manitou Springs. The buildings were originally built in 1934, and some of the games in the Penny Arcade are from that era. It's a great way to blow an afternoon in a really cool old town. Found a couple of pix of the place on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1465982523/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1466743384/

Comment

It's not a proper arcade if it doesn't include a Whack-a-Mole. Now imagine one where the moles were replaced with dolls of McCain and Obama. ;)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It's too bad the arcades don't have games with exponentially better graphics than what we can have on our home PC/consoles... like they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      It's too bad the arcades don't have games with exponentially better graphics than what we can have on our home PC/consoles... like they used to.
                      Very true...

I am waiting for a place to pop up that is interconnected XBOX 360s and PS3s in a big room with game rentals and such. All the PS3 people can game together locally or online and same with the PS3 gang.

But who knows seems like everyone has them in their homes now. I need a new GAME room with some old school pinball...

Comment

It was called Atari Football (1979), or, Atari Football XO (note: generic names simlar using these such ase Atari X and O Football, XO, etc etc etc can be used).

Some are still around and can be found on the web for sale at known internet sales places.

I am unsure we had them in the UK because in those days we couldn't watch American Football because of the TV people didn't deem that good till about ~1985 (hence no interest in the game iteself :/ ).

Some interesting sites about it, from computer versions for your PC, forums on conventions where these types of games still go (and take centre stage) to some guy who has re-scanned the image on the tabletop. Here is one link to his site so you can have a look of a composite he did from the table top. Aparently some people take theirs to conventions too. Anyhow the image and the link of a guy who is redoing the artwork, god bless him:

http://www.rotheblog.com/arcade/artw...rtwork-update/

I think you will like this image especially, but check his others.

Here is another link, of the piece of art itself (you can search to buy if you are thaaaaat interested, you know the known places. Anyway, you know what to plug in now to begin the search):

http://www.ggdb.com/GameByName.aspx?vid=186

Personally I recon I could keep the neighbours up with a good mid to late 70's pinball (you can't beat that era for Pinball, the real deal and the better play) and Defender (1980 - and another button fest) :D
                        Last edited by Taip3n; 08-02-2008, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Cool! That's the one I was talking about! Thanks for the links. Good stuff. I spent many hours, and quarters, playing that with my friends at the bowling alley while my folks bowled every week.

Comment

A pleasure, glad to help out a fellow person brought up on such things as the good stuff. Yeah, it looks a great game! I think I'd love to have one myself.

You know how people make little software now for pc's to play these games - well it's out there too. I never know about them though..

Being half french I always remember one pinball game, visiting my grandfolks, in a cafe next to their flat, from about circa 1978.

Shame we didn't have your Football game, in the UK (as far as I remember) but we are stupid over here, so it seems we missed out on a classic there. Looks like it's the real deal with all the nuance and exitement wrapped up in one. But we did have the next years' button pressing mania Defender.. and oooooohhh what a noise, what a noise. I love that noise.

I could go on about that era and so forth through the ages - like how Pacman SUCKED! I never could work out why people liked that one.

Give me a huge speaker and lots of buttons.

Smart Bomb anybody? Well that or Hyperspace, I didn't care, it was the huge noise usually followed swiftly by an even louder BOOM that mattered.
                            Last edited by Taip3n; 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Ahh for good old times' sake.

This guy can't play it for toffee but it was the best I could find for just the sound of the game. However, it still doesn't hit the mark but u get the idea. But man, that sound.. what a game:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6sruFdGg_I&feature=related[/media]

This next guy can play. Hehehe.

I put this is because he shows what the game was like, him being now around 45-50. Check out his reactions, both in game and the way he interacts with it communially, taking on board the mission. Him vs a true Classic game. Man the adrenaline. He don't warm up till about half way in though. Also he cuts the play in half, so it has yet to get frantic <grins>. Now for all you kids that think 45-50 something year olds havent got what it takes, check out how what we played in our Addidas. Old school. I was never this good as I was only 10 when it came out but I remember folks like him <fits of jealousy>. This is a reaction game to the max, where you have one joysticks (up and down) and about 5 buttons (thrust, reverse, fire, smart bomb, hyperspace). Such is why I am still a noob on the battlefield. Kudos to you who made this video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgh8pf5xzA&feature=related[/media]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X