Just bought my first pistol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought my first pistol

Sunday I went to a gun show and found a NIB Ruger .22 under $250. Target version with longer barrel as well as being drilled & tapped. Filled out the paperwork for a background check and the seller called it in to the FBI/NICS (no wait in SC). But since the people at the FBI had to talk to the immigration people[1], I got the answer "Delayed". When the processing was done and I got approved, the gun was sold.

I went to a local store and had found a new one I kinda liked, but happened to saunter over to the used section and glanced inside.

There it was.

Buy me, it cried. BUY ME!!

I looked it over and didn't see any indication that it had in fact been used, it looked brand new. So I filled out the paperwork and waited to hear back. Tuesday I talked to them and everything had checked out, I could pick it up anytime. It came with a box, and everything in it looks brand new with the parts still in (sealed) original bags. Basically I got a new gun with a front-sight upgrade for the cost of a used one :D

So yeah, I've been fondling it and since it's my first handgun, trying to make sure I understand how firing pin, safety, trigger, magazine, and bolt stop all affect one another. I still haven't bought any ammo - I figured I'd have it out a fair amount for the first week and didn't want to take any chances of the kids grubby little hands adding one and .22 together... Also because watching my muzzle direction takes a bit more thought than with the rifles and shotguns I had growing up. I'm trying to get fully comfortable with it before taking it to the range, which hopefully might be next weekend.

I've also already picked out my next purchase[2]... or several next purchases[3]... gun shows are dangerous places.

I just had a talk with the oldest kid (4 years old) to make sure he knows what it looks like, and asked what to do if he ever sees it not being locked up:

Boy: Don't touch it!
    Me: And...?
    Boy: : Tell a grown up!
    Me: That's right, and if [younger brother] touches it, or any other kid ever has a gun, you should tell them to put it away, then run and tell a grown up.
    Boy: : When I'm grown up, I can have a gun.
    Me: Yeah, maybe.
    Boy: : And I can shoot bad guys!
    Me: Noo... we don't shoot bad guys...
    Boy: : But bad guys are mean!
    Me: Yeah... but who's a bad guy? Who would you shoot?
    Boy: : I don't know.
    Me: I don't know any bad guys. I don't think you know any bad guys either. So we shouldn't shoot anyone.
    Boy: : But...zombies are bad guys daddy. I can shoot zombies.
    Me: : I... but...yeah... zombies are bad. You can shoot zombies...

[1]Background checks are stupid. They really are. I could have walked over to the next table and bought a gun from a private seller, and I would not have to fill out any paperwork beforehand. It would all be nice and legal too.

It especially bothers me that I need additional documentation for not being a US citizen. I am a legal resident without any criminal record, including speeding tickets. Meanwhile, another undoubtedly fine and upstanding citizen of the community bought a stack of 5 Hi-Points to take home... Instantly approved...

OK, so it's not the fact that there's additional checks. It's that the checks are more important than applying common sense. Those guns are probably already on the street.

[2] Used S&W .357 revolver.

[3] Colt 1911, Glock 17, side-by-side shotgun, pump action shotgun, .22 lever action rifle...

Re: Just bought my first pistol

Nice choice! I also have a Ruger .22. I have the Mark III Hunter. Basically the same thing as yours, but with a fluted barrel and wooden grips. I've pumped thousands of rounds through it and not one jam. Whenever I go shooting with family and friends, every one ends up having the most fun with the Ruger. You can't go wrong. Dirt cheap ammunition and super accurate as well. You're going to love it!
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Nice!

I wouldn't have your self control, though. I'd have already bought a milk carton full of ammo and would've torn up some paper targets and tin cans!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ruger 22s for the win.

You're complaining about the fed double-checking on non-citizens? The US has been so close to striking the right altogether... anyway, in Florida, there is a wait unless you have a concealed carry permit, which you should; if you do, you wait five minutes on a phone call verification.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
          You're complaining about the fed double-checking on non-citizens?
          No, I'm complaining that Cing's people took so long to do it so I missed a good deal :p

If I hadn't seen the other guy walk out with the stack of Hi-points, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it. But the fact that he did indicates to me that the system is not doing much good anyway.

Comment

If he is a citizen and he has his paperwork in order, then the system did exactly what it was supposted to do: get out of the way. "They see me buyin' inexpensive guns... they be hatin'" The important thing is background-checks = good. Waiting periods = creeping facism.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
              If he is a citizen and he has his paperwork in order, then the system did exactly what it was supposted to do: get out of the way. "They see me buyin' inexpensive guns... they be hatin'" The important thing is background-checks = good. Waiting periods = creeping facism.
              Right, NICS did what it was supposed to do. What I'm saying is that the whole process as-is, based on my observations, does little to keep guns out of the hands of bad guys. And because of that, I'd rather it didn't exist period.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
                What I'm saying is that the whole process as-is, based on my observations, does little to keep guns out of the hands of bad guys. And because of that, I'd rather it didn't exist period.
                As compared to when you could buy a gun in a pawn shop without ID?

Anyways, nice gun. A .22 is perfect weapon for "trigger work." The noticeable lack of recoil, cheap ammo, and the reliability of a Ruger .22 should have you shooting well with some practice.

For the record, make sure no one is standing to your right when you fire. .22LRs are an extremely hot load that will burn the bejeesus out of you and more if it goes down your shirt/pants. I have a tiny "T" burned into my neck where a round fired from my .22 Beretta Neos (my GF was shooting it) literally stuck to my neck. Just thinking about it while I type gives me goose-bumps.

Have fun.

Comment

Welcome to the club....
                  |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Hi guys.... I am new to you forums, but I know quite a few of your COD4 members. But floating threw the forums I came across this topic. I am 21 years old, I served my country (how ever brief). But every state is different when it comes to purchasing a firearm (especially a pistol) from either a FFL dealer or FTF purchase. I personally own an arsenal of firearms, as i am a collector. The ruger 22's are awsome guns, you cant go wrong there. Here is a list of a few of my guns: S&W CS9 (9mm), S&W MP40SV (.40), SIG P229 (.40), Para-Ordinance 1911 (.45), Remington 870 police enforcer (12ga), CIA SAS-12 (12ga), M59/66A1 (7.62x39), Norinco Mac-90 AK (7.62x39), AR-15 (.223), M1 (.308), M1A (.308), and the list could go on. The point is in this county, "...all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson. That and its easier to carry a gun, because a cop weighs to much. As for the guy who bought a stack of Hi-points???, he wasted his money. To be honest he will be luck to get 100 rounds threw one of those guns before its toast. Here is some suggestions for your new ruger... port the barrel, polish the feed ramp, mount a 53mm red dot scope. HAVE FUN HAPPY SHOOTING!!!!!!

Comment

Boy: : But...zombies are bad guys daddy. I can shoot zombies.
                      Me: : I... but...yeah... zombies are bad. You can shoot zombies.....

Your Kid Rocks.
                      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

OK, so it's not the fact that there's additional checks. It's that the checks are more important than applying common sense. Those guns are probably already on the street.
                        A lot of people speed and get away with it, so we should just get rid of speed limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                          A lot of people speed and get away with it, so we should just get rid of speed limits.
                          No one has been stabbed to death by nail clippers or bludgeoned by a 4oz bottle of shampoo ever since they were banned on flights. Clearly the ban works great and should be expanded to apply to more items.

Comment

A 22 is ok but if you want a real gun get a glock .45cal. Thats what I have and carry

Comment

No one has been stabbed to death by nail clippers or bludgeoned by a 4oz bottle of shampoo ever since they were banned on flights. Clearly the ban works great and should be expanded to apply to more items.
                              That was such a ridiculous analogy, I think its point eluded even you.
                              Last edited by Uranium - 235; 08-05-2008, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X