Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going on a road trip to Kansas next week...anyone have suggestions on sights to see..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on a road trip to Kansas next week...anyone have suggestions on sights to see..

After taking a road trip last year to Chicago from southern NY State, and then after Chicago going to St. Louis and then back to New York, I have decided to take another road trip to Kansas. I know this might seem random/weird but I want to see with my own eyes how flat Kansas is.

I am starting in southern NY State and making my way across by going through Kentucky, Missouri and Kansas and then I am staying in St. Louis for a number of days.

Many people have told me about the food in Kentucky, and in the city of Louisville, I also heard of bourbon distillery's that might offer tours as well. And I also heard about the Food in Kansas City (Missouri) and Kansas City (Kansas).

Anyone live in those states/ know of any good attractions to see while i make my drive out to the midwest? Please feel free to post.

On a side note there is a chance after i leave missouri on the 23rd of August that i might be driving to North Carolina and then up passed D.C. and back to NY......

*I have been to DC, so i don't plan on visiting any places there, sorry i didn't mention that before*

I am leaving NY next thursday August 15...so if anyone has any suggestions please post!!
    Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 08-07-2008, 04:34 PM. Reason: needed to add additional info
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Going on a road trip to Kansas next week...anyone have suggestions on sights to s

I drove through Kansas a few months ago. I kept seeing these signs for "World's Largest Prairie Dog." After seeing signs for about 100 miles, I just HAD to see this thing. I pulled over to this dusty little dried up town and the place was obviously closed down or out of business. So I walked around the side and to the back of the establishment, and sure enough there were tons of prairie dogs running around. It was cute. Didn't see the world's largest, though. Maybe he died, which caused the attraction to close. Not sure. Either way, that was the most interesting thing I saw there. However, you should check out the Wizard of Oz museum. I wanted to do that, but didn't have the time.

Oh yeah, and buy the chocolate covered sunflower seeds. They're so awesome.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Re: Going on a road trip to Kansas next week...anyone have suggestions on sights to s

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
      After taking a road trip last year to Chicago from southern NY State, and then after Chicago going to St. Louis and then back to New York, I have decided to take another road trip to Kansas. I know this might seem random/weird but I want to see with my own eyes how flat Kansas is.

I am starting in southern NY State and making my way across by going through Kentucky, Missouri and Kansas and then I am staying in St. Louis for a number of days.

Many people have told me about the food in Kentucky, and in the city of Louisville, I also heard of bourbon distillery's that might offer tours as well. And I also heard about the Food in Kansas City (Missouri) and Kansas City (Kansas).

Anyone live in those states/ know of any good attractions to see while i make my drive out to the midwest? Please feel free to post.

On a side note there is a chance after i leave missouri on the 23rd of August that i might be driving to North Carolina and then up passed D.C. and back to NY......

I am leaving NY next thursday August 15...so if anyone has any suggestions please post!!
      I thought this was a joke when I saw it.

The short answer is NO!

I would advise driving at night to avoid the heat. Plus the sunrise and sunset in this part of the world are usually pretty nice with all the wide open space and dust in the air.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I think the two previous posts summed it up. I can't think of anything specific worth stopping to see, but I always love checking out the little towns and tourist traps along my trip. It's so interesting to watch how people interact at "the world's biggest prairie dog" or "south of the border" or "The Thing- What is it?", as well as how people interact in the tiny little town five miles off the freeway. Mom and pop restaurants are where it's at. Look for the restaurants with multiple cop cars or dusty pickup trucks in front. If there are lots of 'regulars', it's a good bet.

If you drive up through DC, make sure you allocate a week or so just to look at everything there. There's a LOT of stuff to see in Washington. Make sure you take your pistol, though... (just kidding?)
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well man I happen to live in kansas. You really don't see flat land until you go out west past topeka, KS. Thats when the land starts to get real flat. The humidity can be pretty bad here at time, this week we have had 98 degree weather but factor in the humidity and we get to 110 degrees.

We have a few good thinks to see, in down town kansas city missouri we have the union station museum (science city), the negro league baseball museum in historic 18th and vine district, the new sprint center stadium and the power and light district (an entertainment & dinning area) the plaza shopping area, & the nelson atkins museum.

In kansas city kansas off of I-435 & State Ave. we have the nascar race track with tons of restruants a cabelas store, nebraska furniture mart and a cool hotel called the great wolf lodge. We have GREAT barbeque, you must try GATE'S barbeque in down town KCMO & FAMOUS DAVE'S barbeque in KCK accross the street from the great wolf logge.

If you want to know anything else let me know I'll try and get back to you asap.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            If you drive up through DC, make sure you allocate a week or so just to look at everything there. There's a LOT of stuff to see in Washington. Make sure you take your pistol, though... (just kidding?)
            That makes a lot of sense: You can stop and use the NRA range in Fairfax.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X