BMW owner tapes black car to white

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW owner tapes black car to white

I figured I would post this because I know there are a lot of BMW lovers (guilty as charged :row__523:) in TG, and pretty much all of us like cars.

So a guy decided he didn't like the black color on his brand new BMW, and decided to get it "taped" to a glossy white instead. I have seen this done on TV shows for racing and trick cars, but it usually isn't done for everyday rides. Or so I thought. It only cost about $1,500, and will last 3-4 years before you have to take it off, or it may ruin the paint underneath.

Autoblog short story:
    BMW owner tapes black car to white

Here is the forum where the guy that actually owns the car is talking about it and posting lots of pics
    335i Coupe M Sport Package in Germany undergoing color conversion by foil / tape
    in that post there are tons of other pics of other cars with the taping done, and they look really good.

On page 2 is actually a link to a video of it getting done. Some hot German chick with a Porch and some infatuation with military camo tapes her car in matt flat army camo green. Really interesting to watch it done.
    Video link:
    http://www.intax.de/popup_video/inde..._porsche911_bw
    And the company's gallery with TONS more car pics with the taping done
    http://www.intax.de/folierung/galeri...folierung.html

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: BMW owner tapes black car to white

The ultimate paint protection?

it makes me wonder... if you were to do that twice (over 6-8 years), giving the paint job a good polish and wax to refresh it before putting a new tape coat on it again, how much more resale value would the vehicle retain due to the body being theoretically in better cosmetic shape?

On some vehicles it obviously wouldn't be worth it, but on a Bimmer... that 6 grand might help in resale value if you do decide to sell.

Certainly cheaper than a good repaint job, and of course, aftermarket paint is never as good as the baked-on stuff.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

By the way, 3M, who makes the film from above, also makes a clear version.
      I almost had it put on when I bought my last truck, but didn't have $300 at the time.

There are lots of local installers if you search for them. I am certainly going to have it put on my next car.
      http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the/Consumer/
      Videos and where to find it at that link.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Too bad it wasn't an option when I bought my Sentra SE-R back in 2002, or I would have done it :)

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother on even a slightly-used car. Too afraid of the condition of the paint, cleaned up or not.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Actually, they had this back in 2001 when I bought my truck. It has been around for a while, but mostly for high end cars.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

ah.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X