Rosetta Stone.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosetta Stone.

Does anyone here have any experience using this Language Program? Is it worth it?

I have alot of time to kill on my deployment and I want to brush up on my Hangul (Korean).
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Rosetta Stone.

I have spanish 1, 2, & 3, and while I have not gotten extremely far, I do find I retain more in a lot less time.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Got the new V3 version, its great and easy to remember and simple way to learn languages... but yeah levels take time and should use everything in software too including the voice recog for dialects

Comment

I used it way back in high school for spanish and more recently for swahili (I'm going to Africa next summer and it's widely spoken where i'll be). It really is worth it. Far better retention than with standard book learning methods.

Comment

Dirtboy I'm glad you asked this one. We have a huge Hispanic population in my area and I have been thinking of picking up this software for the Fire Dept. We can't always have an interpreter when we need one.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Great software, takes a while to learn but its damn easy man

Comment

I've heard that Rosetta Stone is the best. Expensive, but the best. I'd like to use it for Spanish, and possibly Mandarin Chinese.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Great feedback so far guys, keep them coming!
                "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Has anyone had experience with Rosetta Stone after already being at an intermediate stage in learning. I have been taking French for two years and I am doing foreign exchange in Belgium for this coming year. Because actual immersion in the country will undoubtedly be more effective than any learning method, I probably will not be using this, but I am nonetheless curious as to how well it works for people NOT starting from scratch.
                  The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                  #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                  83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                    Dirtboy I'm glad you asked this one. We have a huge Hispanic population in my area and I have been thinking of picking up this software for the Fire Dept. We can't always have an interpreter when we need one.
                    You should also pick up a Portuguese language module.
                    Spanish may be the majority but there is still many immigrant from countries whose primary language may be Portuguese.

You can probably get away with just Spanish but if you take some Portugese you should be set for most scenarios you may encounter.

Bomberos is Spanish for Firemen.
                    Foguista I believe is Portuguese.

But the firehoses and blinking red light should get the point across to most people.

Comment

I am a novice French speaker (hardly remember it, but if surrounded by it, it makes sense), and started German with Rosetta Stone. I dropped it because of time constraints (School).

Was a nice, simple program.
                      Skud

Comment

Doesn't the AF have a web portal you can access the software for free through? The army has AKO, and I can access almost any language through it and it's all rosetta.
                        USAR

Comment

I've got access to everything for free just like everyone in the Army does... I'm kinda ashamed that I haven't used it more. I've heard nothing but good things about their lessons.

Oh, and Portuguese isn't worth learning unless you're in a Brazilian or Portuguese neighborhood, IMO. 99% of Brazilians in the US also speak Spanish. There aren't many Portuguese immigrants in the US. Once you know Spanish, I'd work on a more common language like French, German, Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Russian. In fact, I think if you know those languages, there aren't very many cities in the world where you're not going to be able to communicate effectively.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

If you know English, Chinese, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Hindi, and Arabic you can speak to more than 1/2 the people on the planet.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                              If you know English, Chinese, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Hindi, and Arabic you can speak to more than 1/2 the people on the planet.
                              Perhaps, but your list doesn't really cover the practical aspects of communication. Hindi? English is spoken in India, so not necessary. Portuguese? Spanish is also spoken by most. Arabic? Doesn't cover a huge area, and most also speak French or English.

If you want to speak to over half the people on the planet, you only need Chinese, English and Spanish.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X