• Show
Clear All

• What ... were they thinking ?!?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...urn=oly,100152

Dont normally follow politics, sports, news .. let alone the Olympics

But I thought this had to be shared to be believed

lolol

Re: What ... were they thinking ?!?!

Ha ha! I don't find it offensive for some odd reason. Great find!

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I don't see how that sort of behavior is offensive; merely disappointing. We've seen a wide range in professionalism in these games. Example, the French relay team. By opening their mouths and becoming cocky, instead of everyone seeing them fight hard and take silver in a very close race, instead they are the guys who choked. The arrogance couldn't help them any -- if they did win they'd simply have not have been wrong, but when they did fail they got a mouth-ful of foot.

Comment

It would be considered offensive by people who are overly sensitive. But I agree with magna that it is simply disappointing. These are supposed to be the top flight athletes in the world and representatives of their country. They simply made themselves look like idiots.

Comment

Offensive? Not really to me but maybe to others... Poor taste? Yeah I would say so. Politically Correct? No, not really. A big deal? Not to me, but again maybe others...

~ Draken

Comment

I wonder how many of those who don't find it particularly offensive are Asians who grew up in predominantly non-Asian neighborhoods.

Comment

Everything is offensive to someone, somewhere, if you look hard enough.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Im offended of how they acted.. is it really necessary to pose like that? Did they think they were funny? I didnt think so. You don't have to be overly sensitive to actually be offended by this sterotypical act.

Comment

Once again, the fictional Right to Not Be Offended is thrown around.

No, really, you don't have that right. I can **** on your religion, your race, your family, and your customs and you can't do a damn thing about it except grow a spine. **** like this pisses me off, and it's always such a double-standard too.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                    Once again, the fictional Right to Not Be Offended is thrown around.

No, really, you don't have that right. I can **** on your religion, your race, your family, and your customs and you can't do a damn thing about it except grow a spine. **** like this pisses me off, and it's always such a double-standard too.
                    I wasn't aware that anyone talked about a right, natural or legal.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                      I wasn't aware that anyone talked about a right, natural or legal.
                      You completely missed the point, and it's obvious you've never heard of that term.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ri...ient=firefox-a

Comment

I should have been clearer. I didn't ask when anyone talked about it in general. My question is, more clearly, when did someone throw around the idea of such a right in this context? Here people are just pointing out that the Spanish team were acting stupid. Sometimes stupid acts are offend. Sometimes acts that offend are rightly taken as offensive--no always, but sometimes. Nobody said anything about laws or making laws or holding the Spanish team legally responsible. Yes, maybe people talk about the right to not be offended in some other contexts, but not here. So, your complaint about people bringing up the fictional right in this context is a strawman.

Comment

Being half Asian myself, I don't see it as offensive, but I am surprised at the ignorance that the team had on the possible implications of the ad.

Comment

So, your complaint about people bringing up the fictional right in this context is a strawman.
                            Again, you completely missed the point:

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                            Sometimes stupid acts are offend. Sometimes acts that offend are rightly taken as offensive--no always, but sometimes.
                            "The Right to Not Be Offended" is invoked perfectly in this example by people who are saying action should be taken for that photo, say, disbarring them from the Olympic games.

I'm not really sure you understand what I mean at all. There is no literal law. There is no mention of rights. It's simply a figure of speech, meaning people are trying to get real consequences out of something that violates their PERSONAL STANDARDS, which ultimately don't mean a damn thing. Because no matter what it is, you'll find someone who's going to be pissed off about it.

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                            Being half Asian myself, I don't see it as offensive, but I am surprised at the ignorance that the team had on the possible implications of the ad.
                            Culture? Read: Danish Mohammad cartoons. Showing a boob on an ad in the US would cause soccer moms to panic and scramble to call their lawyers (because they find it offensive, so therefore someone HAS TO PAY FOR THAT INJUSTICE!), showing that ad in Italy would be fine by most.

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                              Ha ha! I don't find it offensive for some odd reason. Great find!
                              Looking back on my previous comment, I realized I posted something immature and thought it wasn't. What the Spanish team did was humorous in the eyes of me but I could've re-worded it better.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X