No announcement yet.

Taking First Person Shooting into Reality

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking First Person Shooting into Reality

After playing PR for countless days I've tried going back to playing some good COD4. To my surprise I couldn't stand it at all. The run and gunning was just simply annoying, and confused me as to why people play these games so I went forward, and did what I like to do beside PR...write articles :) I decided to write a basic article aimed at the run and gun players and first person shooter developers on ten easy steps to take a typical fps, and turn it into a tactical espionage. I kept it basic to ensure that I didn't lose anyone in complicated gun accuracy rants, and overall the impact so far has been positive. This wouldn't be the best read for this forum as you are all mature tactical gamers, but I thought it would be good to share to the TG community how I've been spreading the tactical way. If you do want to see the article though you can view it through N4G.

Re: Taking First Person Shooting into Reality

1. Generated Maps
    Maps are very complicated lumps of data, and much of the data is pre-calculated. Randomizing the trees will change performance metrics. A whole bunch of trees spawn in one spot and suddenly you have an fps-drop when you look near them. Or a bush grows sticking out a pond for no reason. Random buildings would mean every building is a prefab, with either little detail or 'random' detail. The more dynamic you make a map, the more ways for something dumb to happen, and if you limit it too much, you're putting a lot of work into a system that doesn't do anything significant.

2. Real day/night time cycle
    A few games have this already; Morrowind and Oblivion try to make a big deal about day and night, but many just don't bother.

9. Leave your mark
    This is tricky to balance. What's the point of the design of a map if the status quo becomes both teams blowing a straight corridor between the objectives? As long as map-deforming abilities are scarce this can be useful, but if you can afford to raze everything near an objective, it may as well just be a flag standing in the middle of a football field.

10. Real bulletin wounds
    OW! Someone stuck a tack into me to hold up a piece of paper saying something about a lost dog! MEDIC!
    There are a few issues here. One is the complexity of determining the hit. The only accurate hitbox for an animated model is the model itself, and they are both very intricate and geometrically difficult to analyze. Then you have the issue of matching trauma in a carbon-based lifeform to a lump of data manipulated by a mouse and keyboard, and communicating that to the player. In lieu of pain, you can only provide disorientation effects. Perhaps view bobs around annoyingly to indicate a busted ankle, for example. Finally, you have to decide what counts as dead. If a player is declared paralyzed, does he sit there and stare at your real-time sky until the game ends? Do you downgrade his condition to corpse and put him in the respawn queue or let him ghost around and watch his teammates play while his game-time for the night ticks away? The old 100-point damage systems generally tried to balance aiming skill and total hits; your bad aim was okay as long as you hit with enough shots before retaliated upon. If you abandon HP completely and use only regions, then someone can soak up 50 bullets to the left arm and still be perfectly healthy for using a right-handed pistol or throwing a grenade after pulling the pin with his teeth. You'll get more complaints about realism from 50 bullets in the arm than you will a 90-damage headshot.

You need to check with Project Reality Public Relations before using their images.

Needs some proof-reading.

for developers to show their next-generation move through
        no similarities of the modern battlefield of today
        just scrap the "of today" part

are constantly inserted into the exact same maps over
        to engage players into a more reality like atmosphere
        to engage players in a more realistic atmosphere

GameXtract have constructed ten points on ways developers can enrich the first person multiplayer experience
        GameXtract has constructed ten points developers can follow to enrich the first-person multiplayer experience

If developers would simply create maps that generated slightly differently every time
        I don't remember the technical term for this (past-participle maybe?) but the grammar nazi side of my brain is freaking out.
        If developers simply create maps that generate slightly different each time

Plan in the morning by spotting out your targets, and then wait until the evening and cause midnight havoc!
        Plan in the morning by spotting out your targets, then wait until the evening to cause midnight havoc!

Burning fires are always fun to do at night!

Seeing more of these cycles on multiplayer maps would be a great feature to add in for first person shooters to come.
        This isn't really a grammatical error but to make it flow better you might try
        Seeing more of these cycles on multiplayer maps would be a great feature in future first-person shooters.

can scare the living hell out of any player
        and both teams are likely to carry anti-air assets if they are
        That's as far as I got for now. If you want me to do more then let me know.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed