Vacation AAR..unluckiest Evar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation AAR..unluckiest Evar

So, I just came back from vacation... I just had the most odd, unlucky, and freaky vacation i've ever taken.

It was planned out a while back, and I'm a bit of a stickler for precision timing, etc when i'm going places or want to go places. Be here at a certain time, have everything done by X, etc. None of that happened this weekend. We were going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, in Virginia, from south-central Pennsylvania.

To start things off, I needed my car to pass state inspection.. Took it to Pep-Boys, they passed emissions, but failed me for some completely bogus reason (my washer pump was bad, they claimed, and it wouldn't pass inspection without working windshield washer and wipers), then wanted in addition to the inspection and diagnostics fee, 39 dollars for the pump and 80 to put it in. Left and my parents drove it over to a local shop that we know and trust.. but this was like 2 days before we left.

HE inspected it and found that my front brakes were bad and needed new pads. Why the other shop didn't pick up on that very real safety issue, we will probably never know.

Going there... my brother was supposed to be at the house, but he wasn't. My sister never dropped him off.. so we had to wait almost 2 hours for him to get there. Once everyone was finally assembled and we were on our way, it was kind of smooth sailing... until we got to Frederick, Md.

There, I got lost because of the multiple exit signs with 3 different exits on one ramp, and we took a tour through inner-city ghetto before finding a cab lot and following them back onto route 270. Back on our way... and calling the hotel that we would be late past 11 pm.. everything was smooth sailing, then things snowballed.

About 40 miles from Williamsburg, my check engine light suddenly lit up and started blinking, and the car lost a bit of power and smelled hot. We pulled over and it started missing, with no real cause (my belts were getting old and at first i thought we blew the serpentine.) Called my parents, my mom is dating a mechanic so we went over a bunch of things with a weakening flashlight beam. Replaced what we thought was a bad sparkplug wire, but that didn't help, and we (incorrectly, we found out later on) determined it was possibly overheated and we blew the head gasket. We edged it off to the next exit, only to find all gas stations and restaurants there were closed. We stopped next to a brightly lit, closed mcdonalds, looking for a hose, when the sprinklers came on. We rinsed out our cups from an earlier meal and slowly filled bottles and softdrink cups with water from the sprinklers and filled the coolant reservoir up over half an hour, filled extra bottles and cups, and headed to the hotel at a stately 40 mph, arriving at around 4:30 in the morning.

Got up, REALLY late, tried to determine our situation and get status on rental cars, diagnostics, etc. Limped it to Busch Gardens, had a decent time there (but got there 5 hours after the park opened) and headed home. Got really late Sunday.. determined that my parents would drive down in either their car and truck with a dolly to tow it home.. I couldn't find the restaurant i had directions to and got lost coming back to the hotel... Two in our party didn't want to go to the water park, so we dropped them off at Colonial Williamsburg. My brother and I got to the park and spent about 3.5 hours there till it closed, and limped back.

My parents were late, and i had to direct them how to get to the hotel. They fixed the car (one of my new sparkplug wires we put on earlier that week had melted and was grounding itself against the back of the engine, something none of us could see in the daytime, nor at night when we were tired). We switched cars so i was driving thiers, and we headed home following them, because I-64N and I-95 were backed up over 20 miles.

We had almost made it home after stopping on I-15N in Thurmont to stretch our legs, when... about 40 miles from our HOME destination, my parents hit a deer. With my car.. it was a fairly small doe or a young buck that ran into the car, but it was scary. I saw a deer, then the car hit it, then no deer and just the car (it went flying over the hood and off the drivers side) and then a bunch of smoke pop out and the car swerving and stopping short on the side of the road as the car horn constantly blared. I immediately stopped, everyone jumped out and ran to the car while my mom got out dazed and holding her arm and her mechanic boyfriend was doing.. something in the car. A passersby on the other direction saw all the dust billowing out and stopped too, and had already called 911. =Cont below=

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Vacation AAR..unluckiest Evar

In about 5 minutes we had 2 cop cars, an ambulance, the Thurmont fire dept, and 2 more cars stopped on the side of the road. My mom's boyfriend was trying to disconnect the battery because the horn wouldn't stop going off, and everyone was standing dazed and confused. Both my airbags popped and they were wearing seatbelts so they were okay, but my mom's hyperextended some fingers or something else is wrong with her hand, I got some serious dents in my hood, and my window's almost completely shattered. There may or may not be engine damage, thats to be determined by the repair shop :/ of course, when they look at they're going to wonder why we have mostly new spark wires with an old, long one draped across the intake manifold going to the back cylinder, with a makeshift heatshield (to replace the melted wire) :p

6 of us piled into a Mazda 3 hatchback and drove home, with my coworker having 4 hours to sleep before having to work a 10 hour day. (I called off monday last week). Perfect, cyclical ending to the most unluckiest vacation i've ever been on.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Oh my goodness! That stinks so bad. I'm sorry you had such a bad vacation. I used to have some pretty old cars, so after a couple times of breaking down in the middle of nowhere, I started renting cars whenever I'd go on long road trips. It's nice to have a brand new car for around $30 a day (sometimes much cheaper if you look around and plan ahead). It's totally worth it for the piece of mind.

But, why is it that on vacation, that it can never be just one thing that goes wrong? It always seems like the crud hits the fan after the first thing goes awry. Hopefully your next trip goes better.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Dude, why in the world didn't u run to Staples and buy the "Easy" button?!?!?!

That was easy.
        sigpic
        I'm Back.

Comment

Five hours after Busch Gardens opens is brutal! Griffin all the way!

Anyways the vacation wasn't ideal, but it was out of the ordinary!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X