No announcement yet.

Favorite Movie?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Movie?

Hey guys,

I am doing an assignment for my Human Relations class. I am doing wondering what is your favorite movie and why. I want to know what people find entertaining in this day and age. It can be any category...Comedy, drama, war...

Please only choose one and why you picked that one.
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Favorite Movie?

Well...I would have to say "Paycheck"

Almost everyone I know doesn't like the movie just because of the actor in it. But I thought the storyline was real good. The twists in it were just that, twists. The concept of seeing into the future just intrigues me. Sure it has it's "What the..." moments, but I found it entertaining. This is one of few movies I'd re-watch. (Also, Robin Hood: Men in Tights :) )
    I'm Back.

The usual suspects

Because of the incredible improvised story Kevin Spacey comes up with.

How he observed what was around him and creates Keiser Soze out of nothing.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

The Matrix. It was innovative on so many levels. I bought into the hype and had no idea what the movie was about when I stepped into the theater. It is the only movie that I can think of that I sat there when the credits came up thinking that was an amazing experience.

I just realized I never said why I really enjoyed it. The storyline was something completely new to me. It wasn't the typical sci-fi aliens invade summer movie. The effects were of course amazing for the time and new technologies were created for the film.
        Retired 6th DB

Fight Club:

The twist in the end I never saw coming. I loved the concept of everyone starting fresh. I don't know exactly what about it I like, but it's a movie I can watch over and over and never get bored with it. Everytime I watch it I find something else that I've missed.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

I have a two way tie for mine. Let me preface this by reminding you of how big of a nerd I am.

First: The Last Starfighter.
            Why: I first saw this movie when I was 3 years old. It was ridiculously badass. Later on in life I found out that it was the first movie to ever use CGI, which just made it that much cooler. Classic story of good vs evil, dude gets thrown into a hero's trial that he doesnt want to be a part of, but winds up finding the strength to be the top dog. Plus, the gunstar is just a sexy spaceship and death blossom is just the coolest thing ever.

Second: Casablanca.
            Why: One of the best written and best acted movies I've ever seen, and I've seen a LOT of movies. Plus, there is no denying that when it comes to what a true man is, Humphrey Bogart DEFINES that.

The Shawshank Redemption

Why: Brilliantly acted movie from everyone. And just the whole redemption part of it, knowing that the man was innocent and spending a good part of his life in hell, and in the end everyone got what was coming to them.

I had to think about this a long time. Not a movie, a miniseries: From the Earth to the Moon. 12 hours of nerd drama and exhilaration told masterfully, and I felt like crying at the end of each 1 hour part. Particularly the part where we say goodbye to Spider, the first LEM launched into orbit.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Lawrence of Arabia.

The upsides and downsides of greatness (and of being convinced that one is the greatest) captured on film.

Others that came close:
                  Empire of the Sun, Mystic River.

Additionally, if you liked The Shawshank Redemption, In the Name of the Father with Daniel-Day Lewis is a great film along the same lines.
                  The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

#83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                  83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

The Warriors
                    Why: Classic cult film

Star Wars.

Other than DUNE and Lord of the Rings, I cannot think of any other work of literature or film that has such a large scale as Star Wars. Entire cultures, entire planets, entire galaxies... All fictional, working pieces of art. Each piece had it's own history, language, technology... It just goes on and on.

Not to mention the amount of technological breakthrough that THX and Industrial Light and Magic have brought to the movie industry. Story telling will never be the same as it is in Star Wars.

Nothing will ever compare to being 5 years old and seeing Star Wars for the first time. Nothing.

The (original) Italian Job

Why? Funny, British, Michael Caine (great actor), good storyline without sacrificing the comedy. I just generally love that film, but I know when I click post I'll hink of some other films that I also really like.
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                        Irregular since 2007.

Inside man, because there was good acting, immersive storyline, lots of plot twists!

Leon, The Professional.

Why? Because I'm a pretty uptight guy and I damn near cried toward the ending.

I have a couple, one is Fifth Element. There was a good mix of comedy and drama in it. Another would be Dreamcatcher. There were several plot twists that I didn't see coming.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed